the best quiet fuel pump...

Makesy

Club Member
I ran a walbro from Mike F for a little while which had a bit of a whine to it.

I now run a Delphi which was a bit cheaper (Rockauto) and has more of a low 'hum'

Neither are particularly quiet (like a modern car), but you can't hear them once the car has started up.

Overall I'm more impressed with the Delphi than the Walbro, though I changed my hose routing when I installed the Delphi which may have something to do with it too.

Paul_S

Club Member
I've got a Facet STS504 Cylindrical pump. It does the trick but it's not quiet. I bought it because it was a direct replacement for one that failed on the car.

The PO had bolted it to the spare wheel well and even on rubber mounts it sounds like a drum!

AD240Z

Club Member
I've got a Facet STS504 Cylindrical pump. It does the trick but it's not quiet. I bought it because it was a direct replacement for one that failed on the car.

The PO had bolted it to the spare wheel well and even on rubber mounts it sounds like a drum!

Same here. Facet pump that makes a row .

On the list of jobs to try and cure.

I'd like to mount it where the 'stock' location is, sort of out of sight, i'll isolate it so its not rigid. Defualt use to be the bosch 044's but i can't remember how loud they are as on the cars I had them on it wasn't an issue.

toopy

Club Member
Ive also got one of the cylindrical Facets, but mines currently in the engine bay, roughly where the OEM filter would be on the inner wing.

It's quite loud and you can here it when it first comes on before starting the engine, i run it for a second or two to prime, the sound quietens once there is back pressure, then once the engine is running, you cant here it.

toopy

Club Member
The square Facet solid state pumps are supposedly quieter, but i don't know if they are suitable, because otherwise why would they continue making the cylindrical ones?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have/had Facet on 3 cars. When the engine is running I can't hear them. When I start the cars I can - which I like.

Paul_S

Club Member
I've read conflicting information about fitting the Facet cylinder pumps.

Some say mount them near tank (pushing), others say it's OK to mount them in the engine bay (pulling).

Also, that it's best to mount them vertically, and horizontal is next best - but the outlet should be higher than the inlet to avoid vapour lock. So surely it would be better to have it at an angle than horizontal so the outlet is always higher, even when the car is on a slope?

Mine is vertical but it does mean there are fewer places to fit it. I like atomman did above.

toopy

Club Member
I've read conflicting information about fitting the Facet cylinder pumps.

Some say mount them near tank (pushing), others say it's OK to mount them in the engine bay (pulling).

Also, that it's best to mount them vertically, and horizontal is next best - but the outlet should be higher than the inlet to avoid vapour lock. So surely it would be better to have it at an angle than horizontal so the outlet is always higher, even when the car is on a slope?

Mine is vertical but it does mean there are fewer places to fit it. I like atomman did above.

Ive read that about the pumps as well, mines vertical, but then there is plenty of room in the bay. Mine primes/sucks really well

I wonder if the fitted angle makes any short/long term difference to the noise they produce, also wether your using a return feed to the tank and/or an FPR would affect noise output?

Paul_S

Club Member
I don't think the orientation makes much difference to the noise. I think the reason mine is so noisy is because it's mounted on the spare wheel well which amplifies it! Here's a pic of the old one (but I mounted the new one in the same place).

Facet Pump (Old).jpg

If I can get away with mounting it horizontally like atomman did then it does give more options to fit it to something more solid.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Factory solution (from 1969, on S20-powered cars) was a Bendix-patent Jidosha Kiki pump, with its own mount, located to the right of the diff (as on Atomman's photo) and insulated with two rubber bushings.

You should find that the mounting holes for the bracket are pre-drilled in the crossmember, and that there is already a taped-off power feed in the sub loom that carries the fuel level sender wires.

So, a home-made mount/splash shield, a Facet pump mounted on the supplied bobbin mounts and power from the (green?) wire when ignition-on and you are good to go. You can hear it faintly without the engine running, but inaudible when engine running.

Pump mount layout-1.jpg
Jidosha Kiki Pump-1.jpg
Pump and bracket-1.JPG