Datsun 280Z -77 - Build thread

peter_s

Club Member
Spring is here almost officially! So I took the 280Z home for the first time.

This thread will cover everything I'll do with my car. I have quite a few plans for it long term, but for the first year I will mainly drive it to get to know it.

Here is the current to do list:
- Fix all the lights and speedo (with km/h) so I can register the car - Done
- Register and MOT - Booked for tomorrow
- BC Racing coilovers - in the garage waiting
- Zstory exhaust - in the garage waiting
- Fix the BCDD - the car hangs at 2500+ rpm when warm idling until I get to 10mph. Thinking of disconnecting the system as I will move to ITB later on.
- Squeaking bushes in the rear suspension going over sleeping policemen. - Bought Poly bushings for the whole car, will be replaced as I continue modding.
- Ordered a 2nd hand chrome surround for the front wind shield.
- Ordered a new rubber list for the side chrome trim strip
- General servicing. The dealer serviced the car fully before I bought it, but I want to change the oil etc...

At home finally!
Xkgs5jf.jpg

iZsJu3r.jpg

FCKiz9O.jpg

gBhdz2B.jpg

vmZB06P.jpg

I have temporary Swedish plates for it, but why bother when I can park anywhere for free. They don't even bother writing tickets for foreign cars :) So I had a business dinner last friday, parked just outside the restaurant for over two hours. No tickets :D
sJv2MT2.jpg

Last edited:

peter_s

Club Member
Time to get to work!

A temporary solution for the registration:
wBFSI39.jpg

In Sweden we are not allowed to have red turn indicators if a car is made after 75. So I spliced the harness, just taking the indicator leads and connecting them to the reverse bulb. We are not required to have reverse lights. My idea also makes it a very quick job to restore it after the MOT. Cars above 50 years old are exempt, so I have a few more to do.
O9SN7kS.jpg

Couldn't find orange bulbs that fit on short notice, but I did find transparent vinyl with orange hue:
KfDY6Ys.jpg

Not too bad. Not approved, but I hope they just don't care.
lLg6X2o.jpg

Done for now.
WBTgL3e.jpg

After registration I will start changing the whole exhaust and install the coilovers.

peter_s

Club Member
I've been traveling with work lately so my time working on the car have suffered.

However: The car is now registered and has a fresh MOT! No problems there.

I had some issues with the wide tyres blasting the sills, so I put some clear protective film on the fenders and sills.

Some bad news: I was planning to change the exhaust to Seans Z story... But I found a broken stud on the head, the one closest to the firewall. It's been sealed somehow with some goo, and at least it doesn't leak :( Took the car to my local mechanic that helps me out with the hard stuff, and he said to not touch it. The exhaust will have to wait... @SeanDezart sorry :(

I left the car with my mechanic, he is working on installing the coil overs. Fronts are done. He has also done all the fluids, plugs etc etc. He gave it a clean bill of health. He is also changing all bushings etc close to the struts. Will probably pick it up next week.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It's not uncommon for that last stud to seize and snap like that. "All" you've got to do is take the head off and drill it out on a pillar drill and helicoil it :)

datsfun

Club Member
It's not uncommon for that last stud to seize and snap like that. "All" you've got to do is take the head off and drill it out on a pillar drill and helicoil it :)

AFAIK can also be done with head in situ using a right angled drill...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I love the colour and so relived that you applied the hacksaw to the exhaust - it was upsetting my eyes !

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
What an awesome project, great to see this thread up and running. Looking forward to following your progress, should be a superb car when finished!

Sorry to hear about the head bolt, hope it doesn't cause you too many issues...

peter_s

Club Member
Thanks, I just don't think it's worth it right now. This will have to wait for winter. Old bolts suck!

AFAIK can also be done with head in situ using a right angled drill...
Yeah, I though about that, but I don't think I'll risk it right now. If something goes wrong the car could be out of commission for some time waiting for parts. Now is the time for some enjoyment with it! I'll think about this issue for some time and how to deal with it.

I love the colour and so relived that you applied the hacksaw to the exhaust - it was upsetting my eyes !
Me too, it looked like shit. I was so excited to mount your exhaust on the car, too bad about the head bolt...

What an awesome project, great to see this thread up and running. Looking forward to following your progress, should be a superb car when finished!

Sorry to hear about the head bolt, hope it doesn't cause you too many issues...
Thanks Woody!

The exhaust manifold doesn't leak, and it's probably been like this for quite some time. So for now I'll enjoy the car and get to know it better

peter_s

Club Member
Just went by my mechanic to have a look!

n0PbuUs.jpg

xVJQOrv.jpg

Ohhhh man!! Now it's looking like my dream car :D

One problem though, it sits too low. There are clearance issues with the airdam and the rear fenders.

I do think the BC racing coilovers are delivered fully screwed down. Does anyone know how much you can raise them?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Wow, the stance on that is soooo much better than before! I strangely really love the colour on this, great wheel tyre combo as well :coolgleam:

What size are your wheels? I'm guessing 16x8 by looking at those? Also are you running any negative camber off of the topmounts? All of those factors will come into it...

They have quite alot of adjustment, I'd imagine you could easily raise it up a couple of inches with no drama :thumbs:

peter_s

Club Member
Wow, the stance on that is soooo much better than before! I strangely really love the colour on this, great wheel tyre combo as well :coolgleam:

What size are your wheels? I'm guessing 16x8 by looking at those? Also are you running any negative camber off of the topmounts? All of those factors will come into it...

They have quite alot of adjustment, I'd imagine you could easily raise it up a couple of inches with no drama :thumbs:
Thanks! It's funny, I would never have thought that I would love the look of a gold car, yet I'm really liking this colour.

The wheels are 16x8 in 0mm offset. I know that was pushing it, but it should be possible to make this work. The camber is apparently maximized according to my mechanic, but it doesn't look like more than -1 degree on any tire. Maybe there are more holes in the topmounts for more negative alignment.

Love everything about this car (except the 'Mad Max' louvres).

:thumbs:
Thanks! I don't mind the louvres too much actually. I think they fit the car pretty well.

Ideally I would like them gone, but all fitting holes are drilled into the boot lid so that will have to wait.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thought as much, hence the really nice flush fit on the arches from an aesthetics point of view. Makes a big difference over 16x7 like I have, quite envious as they really do look superb however the fitment issues then come with them... Hard to tell from the those photos, I believe the max negative camber off of those top mounts is -1.5 but certainly no more.

Let us know how you get on...

peter_s

Club Member
Thought as much, hence the really nice flush fit on the arches from an aesthetics point of view. Makes a big difference over 16x7 like I have, quite envious as they really do look superb however the fitment issues then come with them... Hard to tell from the those photos, I believe the max negative camber off of those top mounts is -1.5 but certainly no more.

Let us know how you get on...
I think +5 or +10 in offset would have been much better than 0mm with coilovers. That wouldn't clear the stock struts, but it would work with coilovers. It might look very flush now in the rear in the pics, but when I saw the car you can see that the wheels are too far out. That fender edge needs to be rolled. I might have the wheels lathed, to clear off 10mm. It might not be a bad idea.

-1.5 doesn't sound like much. Are you sure you can't reposition the bolts so there is more adjustment? I was expecting more than that, but it's better than nothing :)