Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Very good, I enjoyed reading that. :thumbs:

Rob's racing at Spa in that precious car has got to be commended. :bow:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Rob Croftons car, with some nice photos. Not entirely accurate, but I leave that for the usual critics to pick holes in the journalism ;)
http://motor-stars.com/2014/12/super-samuri-240z-a-70s-racing-legend/.

[usual critic]At the very least, the writer is blurring the lines between the original 'FFA 196L' and this car, 'FFA 196G'.

Anybody who isn't paying full attention, or who simply doesn't know much about this kind of thing (99.999% of the population) will think he's talking about just one car.

When - in fact - this is two completely different cars, built as 'Super Samuris' at least 40 years apart....

So, "precious"? [/usual critic]

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So, "precious"? [/usual critic]

Yep, I know it's not the 996L but it's a lovely car and to race that in the wet is a lot different than doing a few 'club' laps in the dry like I've done.

I said so at the time too.

Last edited by a moderator:

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
that is not a samuri and wont be needs to remove the wording of the bonnet asap taking the p***
I know I said about a year ago that as the last two samuri nos 74 &75 could be classed as samuri replicas as the builds where carried out so many years after Spike left the country and the Samuri business but to say "the wording on the Bonnet is taking the P!ss" smacks to me of a bit of Samuri owner snobbishness and Jealousy
The actual car when I saw it at the Donnington Historic earlier in the year was stunning and is what a Sam would have evolved too if they had carried on trading

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
the car built bydjr painted by poles in france i believe how does that make samuri and lhd car looks nice i agree but not a true samuri as you must agree just afake or tribute

JK240

Club Member
that is not a samuri and wont be needs to remove the wording of the bonnet asap taking the p***
How eloquently put and quite obviously wrong.

I tend to refer to the last 3 cars as 'continuations' although whether that's accurate is open to debate too I guess...built by Dave Jarman and Martin Ryland with Spike's approval.

The car has been at both Donington events, initially under Mike Lee's ownership and this year after Rob Crofton bought it and had it subtly improved by JD Classics and is a lovely car and being used as it was intended when originally commissioned.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
for the attentionof steve burns as i said nice tribute car not the real mc coy and anint jealous please cancel my member ship asap just renewed time to say goodbye no more time to waste on here the end

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
I'm no Zed Historian, but the comments in this thread are somewhat interesting. So I turned to my copy of Spike's book, particularly pages 229 - 232 where he writes out his Super Samuri specifications and more especially the qualification requirements. These are if I may paraphrase " If Spike says it's a Samuri, it's a Samuri"

So if his is the 75th car he mentions on page 232, then surely it's a Samuri, or am I being a naive Ulsterman ?

jaydeescuba

Well-Known Forum User
Spike offers an Authentication service. ..in case of arguments like this I guess.
Red Baron's entitled to his opinion, as is everyone.
I think his reaction is a bit much tho

Spike offers an Authentication service. ..in case of arguments like this I guess.
Red Baron's entitled to his opinion, as is everyone.
I think his reaction is a bit much tho

There's some strong comments known about his Authentication service....... and how much that costs :) Thats if it adds value.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
for the attentionof steve burns as i said nice tribute car not the real mc coy and anint jealous please cancel my member ship asap just renewed time to say goodbye no more time to waste on here the end

I have to admit that any car which cheeses off 'red baron' to this extent has to be A Very Good Thing Indeed as far as I'm concerned...

;)

Dale

Club Member

You see, you've gone and made me feel bad for not putting in an under twelve option in the 'how old are you' thread poll.

JK240

Club Member
There's some strong comments known about his Authentication service....... and how much that costs :) Thats if it adds value.

I've missed those Franky,and from experience dealing with both Spike Anderson and Mike Lee have never known the mention of money with regards to the authentication of known cars.

Furthermore, Mike even took the trouble after the 1st Donington event to send me Certificates for the cars that attended so I could forward them on to the relevant owners as I had the most up to date contact details at that time, a cynic might say that saved him the postage cost from Spain, but not I :cool:

So I don't honestly know why Red Baron has left with his thumb up his ass, but that could account for his grammar?? I understand it's difficult to type with one hand..!!

datsfun

Club Member
So I don't honestly know why Red Baron has left with his thumb up his ass, but that could account for his grammar?? I understand it's difficult to type with one hand..!!
:lol::smash:

I guess he just could not cope that Poles in France had done the body work on this example. I guess back in the day, it was strictly an English operation where they scrutinized nationality of the garage workers and even went right down to sourcing authentic locally manufactured range rover parts :confused: