1993 Ford Lightning SVT found

SacCyclone

Club Member
I don't know what it is lately but it seems that I am stumbling across cars and trucks that have been emotionally discarded by their owners.

This 1993 Ford Lightning SVT truck was purchased new in 1993 by the owner and driven 66,000 miles before being jilted for another lover. This truck was relegated to the backyard for the next 15 years.

The 1993 Lightning was the first year of the Special Vehicle Team's entry into the performance truck market and was timed to go up against the Chevrolet SS 454 truck. Not only were engine modifications performed to increase HP and torque, suspension modifications also gave the truck a track advantage over most factory offerings from Ford.

I like that the Lightning is almost completely stock down the original Firestone Firehawk tires and factory radio.

Although the red paint has given way to the harsh California sun, the interior looks to be in very good condition including the dash which was covered by a dash pad.

I connected a fresh battery to the Lightning and found that most everything electrical works although it is premature to crank the engine.

Plans are to tow the truck to the shop, drop the tanks and change all the fluids before attempting to start the 5.8L V-8.

Only 5276 examples were built in 1993 and those were either red or black. 1994 models offered white in addition to red and black.

More to follow:

Mike

3NIAj8p.jpg

wKvtkeg.jpg

3hlXIgd.jpg

h7HSHOp.jpg

uk66fastback

Club Member
Great find Mike! You know how much I love US trucks - look at that interior - looks mint. Get this thing running asap ... and get the DA and compounds out!

SacCyclone

Club Member
How big is the shop...........................?
LOL, I know right.

At the shop is the 70 Plymouth Roadrunner, 70 240Z Safari, 73 240Z race car, 72 240Z next up for work, and 75 280Z current on the work schedule.

I think this Lightning will go next door to a mates shop for mechanicals etc as he works on lots of Fox body and later Mustangs. Really want to see this truck run and drive so i can send it over to my detail shop for a cut and buff.

Still need to figure out what i am going to do with the hood as I don't think it will rub out!!!!! Suggestions?????? flat black, red wrap, red paint, replace with CFP

Mike

SacCyclone

Club Member
Finally have the truck at the shop, wheels are off so that I can buy and install new tires next week. While on the rack we could see that everything underside looks great with zero rust or damage.

Stopped by the self service car wash on the way to the shop to remove all the dirt and moss that has attached itself over the last 15 years. Looks much better now.

9ViE6jQ.jpg

EWbkwgP.jpg

nxhj7Ar.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nice little truck mike , I've been playing round with my old truck to lately
View attachment 40620

Is that a slammed truck!?!?!?

Mike - that is an utterly brilliant find and as you say, Ford did a great job of performance pieces on that engine. It will be an utter hoot and a shiny truck by the time your fairy dust has been poured in it. Good going! [emoji106][emoji106]

tyroguru

Club Member
You might like this one, belongs to my father in law. 53 COE with 57 bed and 89 cop car running gear with custom built frame and suspension parts. He has had it for many years and gets lots of looks etc. Preparing for BAT auction in the next month or so.

Mike, you should be given a caution for putting such pics up! I *want* your Father-in-laws truck. No, I *need* that truck. I'm in love. That is beyond cool (n my book anyway).

SacCyclone

Club Member
Going to keep it or sell it on Mike? No idea what they’re going for Stateside ...
I have a 280 and 240 waiting or being currently worked on so this truck will be going down the road. Just couldn't let it continue to sit in the owners back yard and suffer the effects of sun and weather.

I went through all of the paperwork the original owner provided and found the original window sticker from the dealership back in 1993. Also found a letter from Ford SVT that shows this Lightning truck is #2307.

As far a price goes they are really all over the board depending on mileage and originality and condition. I have seen $8000 for a truck with 175,000 miles to $25,000 for a truck with 28,000 miles.

This one will be on the lower side due to paint condition i would think although it may shine up pretty good. On the positive side the 66,000 miles will help a bit on the price.

I took your advise and have a ad out there on the internet looking for a stock red Ford hood, if that does not work out I will probably have this one painted at the body shop.

Cheers.

ps; Lightning package was $2846 more than a non-Lightning truck.

aE9xy1v.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Loving the MPG estimates.

It’s about what I get out of the Z!! But that has a lot to do with my right foot. I guess given the size of the truck, the engine, it’s aero “packaging” and the time / location that it was born in, it’s quite respectable.