Wanted 280Z

bobzilla7

Club Member
Hello all. I've wanted a Z since forever. I'm fast approaching 60 and at last have the cash to spend on one. I like to buy and keep. I have a 1957 Land Rover that I've owned since 2006 along with an early Bowler so whatever I find, she will be a keeper!

I'm ideally looking for a 280Z. She would need to be in a good useable condition or a restored condition. I'm not looking for a project. She could be modified, altho ideally not massively. I may also consider a 280ZX Coupe if the car was right.

I guess my budget is around £20k. Ideally not much more. Do you need any more info?

I'm based in Oxfordshire.

Robotsan

Club Member
Hey Bob. £20k could get you a pretty decent 280z but it may not be the best. Probably would be a little rough around the edges or need a bit of paint.

Are you specifically looking for a left hand drive car? Or would you be getting it converted?

bobzilla7

Club Member
Rough around the edges is fine as long as it is sound. I like the lived in look. Happy with LHD Robotsan.

Paul_S

Club Member
Hi. That sounds like a fun fleet.

I'd love to see some info on the Bowler. They've been on my fantasy garage list for some time!

Robotsan

Club Member
Are you set on a 280z? Not sure if you could stretch to this but this car looks very promising at 25k - LHD 240z which was apparently restored by Fourways (the most revered Z restorers in the UK). I don't think anyone on the forum has gone to look at it yet.

Bear in mind it only got to 22k at auction and wasn't sold, so you could probably get it for a little under asking.

bobzilla7

Club Member
Are you set on a 280z? Not sure if you could stretch to this but this car looks very promising at 25k - LHD 240z which was apparently restored by Fourways (the most revered Z restorers in the UK). I don't think anyone on the forum has gone to look at it yet.

Bear in mind it only got to 22k at auction and wasn't sold, so you could probably get it for a little under asking.
I had considered them outside my budget. But I'm open to options!

bobzilla7

Club Member
Hi. That sounds like a fun fleet.

I'd love to see some info on the Bowler. They've been on my fantasy garage list for some time!
It's a very early Bowler... the granddaddy. 100 inch wheelbase. Here's a shot next to a 90 (my Bowler's on the right) and one showing its axle travel. They were built for off road racing.

Attachments

• Bowler Defender.jpg
    Bowler Defender.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 193288210_1169396900138404_9042741166808582478_n.jpg
    193288210_1169396900138404_9042741166808582478_n.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 30

Robotsan

Club Member
I had considered them outside my budget. But I'm open to options!

I wouldn't say so. If you're talking a LHD 240z then you could definitely pick one up for 20k that needs a little work. As you can see that white one appears to be in great condition and it's only a little more. For the money you'd save in restoration costs, that white car could be an absolute bargain.

bobzilla7

Club Member
I wouldn't say so. If you're talking a LHD 240z then you could definitely pick one up for 20k that needs a little work. As you can see that white one appears to be in great condition and it's only a little more. For the money you'd save in restoration costs, that white car could be an absolute bargain.

Now you've mentioned a 240Z, I spotted this. Thoughts?

Mark N

Club Member
Watanabe style wheels.
Crack free dash cap (hiding the cracked dash).
It doesn't really specify where the car was painted or why it is semi gloss which seems an unusual choice (maybe a Maaco job before arriving in the UK).

bobzilla7

Club Member
Watanabe style wheels.
Crack free dash cap (hiding the cracked dash).
It doesn't really specify where the car was painted or why it is semi gloss which seems an unusual choice (maybe a Maaco job before arriving in the UK).
It's a no then, right?

Rushingphil

Club Member
If I was in the market I would be calling them and putting down a deposit subject to satisfactory inspection/as advertised.

Then inspect the bodywork as thoroughly as possible.

On the surface I think that is a bargain! But two things ring alarm bells:

1/. Freshly painted with no photos of the undersides / chassis rails / doglegs / arches etc

2/. If it really is as good as the advert indicates, why is a classic car dealer selling it so cheap?

Definately worth viewing asap........

bobzilla7

Club Member
If I was in the market I would be calling them and putting down a deposit subject to satisfactory inspection/as advertised.

Then inspect the bodywork as thoroughly as possible.

On the surface I think that is a bargain! But two things ring alarm bells:

1/. Freshly painted with no photos of the undersides / chassis rails / doglegs / arches etc

2/. If it really is as good as the advert indicates, why is a classic car dealer selling it so cheap?

Definately worth viewing asap........
Thanks... good points.

AD240Z

Club Member
Now you've mentioned a 240Z, I spotted this. Thoughts?

Ive been wondering about that car - being so cheap .

Selfishly as im selling my cars at the moment - and it seems such a low price .

When you have a good zoom in and around the interior and engine bay shots - there are some bits i dont like.
Be interesting to hear if anyones seen it .