Considering getting this, thoughts?

I thought about the same car. It only hit £22k at auction and the seller wanted £26.5k when I enquired. Quickly dropped to £25k, so guess wants a quick sale..?

it does look tidy - go see it and judge it better against the £25k and look at all the usual rust / issues you may need to throw money at.

Not sure if they will or won’t comment, but maybe even contact Fourways to confirm the work that’s been done. You can only ask.

Plan is to go see it and contact fourways.
I was not sure on the current prices/market for Z cars, people seem to be asking quite a lot.

Thanks

I’d say if the work checks out then it’s probably worth the £25k (esp with £37k having been spent) … but try and get a deal obviously …

It always baffles me that so many cars up for sale seem to have had very recent restorations that cost more than the asking price. Do people immediately get bored after they've finished the resto, or has a business owned the car and done all the work themselves, thus spending 37k of their time on it? I'm guessing the latter.

If I was spending £37k, I wouldn't leave the poor thing with those carbs. And I wonder what happened to its original front indicators.
But it does look nice.

So would that have been 5 speed when built? If not has the diff been changed too to match?

Very tidy but shame about the front spoiler and idicators imo.

Go and see and if you like it arrange a test drive for a decent day.

It always baffles me that so many cars up for sale seem to have had very recent restorations that cost more than the asking price. Do people immediately get bored after they've finished the resto, or has a business owned the car and done all the work themselves, thus spending 37k of their time on it? I'm guessing the latter.
Perhaps the resto was too expensive for the owner to continue owning it?

At first glance it looks like a tidy car for 25K. The 73 model in the states would have come from Datsun with a 4 speed manual or 3 speed auto box.
If you are not very familiar with these cars, take someone with you that knows them well and check the usual rust places like the floors, front wings, dog legs, rear quarters, hatch slam panel, battery tray, and scuttle panel / cowl drains.

If I was spending £37k, I wouldn't leave the poor thing with those carbs. And I wonder what happened to its original front indicators.
But it does look nice.

I think having spent a lot of money you may find yourself not enjoying the car - constantly worried about damaging it, hyper sensitive to issues etc. Maybe it sucks the joy out of it?

Perhaps the resto was too expensive for the owner to continue owning it?

I think having spent a lot of money you may find yourself not enjoying the car - constantly worried about damaging it, hyper sensitive to issues etc. Maybe it sucks the joy out of it?

Could well be either or both of these reasons. Just seems odd that there's sooo many which state such an expensive restoration within the last couple of years. I certainly did worry about using my M3 once I'd got that to the condition I wanted.

I have to say I like that my car has imperfections - makes me a lot less twitchy about driving it! I honestly don’t know how some of you guys have the heart to drive your pristine cars on the public road. Having spent months sorting out the underside of mine I already panic when I see puddles - let alone having an immaculate everything and driving it it the rain ;) . PMAC used to call it the wallet brake - you slow down a lot after having spent all that hard earned cash on your perfect machine. :p

Back on point, the PO of my car, spent 7 years taking it back to metal and restoring it; spending multiples of the purchase price.

Then one day, the synchro on 5th went and he had to get one from Auz. He told me that was the nail in the coffin. He’d had enough of fixing things / throwing money at it. He only had it on the road for 2 years after his resto then I bought it. In all that time it had done under 500 miles, mainly going from show to show, to show off the shiny new paint / body.

But the synchro sucked the joy out of the car for him. I wonder how much that is happening? Also it maybe that people just need to release some capital and willing to take a hit for the sake of cash flow?

Another example is my relative’s super sorted and modified M3 he picked up for around £11k - it had 3 times that spent on it. The carbon airbox alone was over £2k. But for the PO the joy was doing it as a hobby - some men play golf or do expensive other things, others like playing with / squandering money on cars.

Yeah, there’s a difference between doing it yourself in your garage and spending £37k on paint, suspension, wheels, engine, interior etc and totalling up £37k when done by a garage with a near three-figures-per-hour labour charge. A RHD conversion is £10k, after all! :lurk:

Thank you all, appreciate all your comments and thoughts.

I might have been beaten to the punch so watch this space. The hunt continues! :)

Ultimately I am just after a working 240z, preferably LHD that runs and is mechanically sound, not too bothered if the paint is not that great.
Considering what's out there this just seemed like good value.

Ultimately I am just after a working 240z, preferably LHD that runs and is mechanically sound, not too bothered if the paint is not that great.
Considering what's out there this just seemed like good value.
SacCyclone on here (Mike), is worth chatting to.

Back