Throttle linkage advice

Turn & Burn

Club Member
At some stage in the future I’ll get onto the engine which will be on triples, probably throttle bodies.
Before paint I’m wondering if it’s best to get rid of the original mounting arm that holds the throttle rods to the bulkhead in front of the pedal box to go with cables instead.
What have you got? Any suggestions / photos would be really useful.

image.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm on triple Dellortos using rod linkage with that original stuff in your pic.
The only thing I've changed is move up the mount point on the firewall of the bracket that connects the manifold rod with the rod that crosses the firewall.
You can sort of see it in this pic.
The mount is attached to a plate which is attached to the original firewall bolt holes.

IMG_3016.jpeg

I also appear to have included a bonus picture that I can't remove with tapatalk. [emoji4] Prize for whoever can identify the location without looking at the photo metadata.

Attachments

• IMG_3207.jpeg
    IMG_3207.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 31

Paul_S

Club Member
I have triple Dellorto's too and this is how mine is set up. The carbs are linked so the throttle rod only connects to the front one. I am not 100% sure but I think the linkages in the first pic (from before I got the car) are pretty much standard.

gallery_245_510_129603.jpg

gallery_245_510_226287.jpg

gallery_245_510_158725.jpg

I can take some specific pics if you'd like.

Ian

Club Member
Very easy to go cable, I used an R32 GT-R throttle cable, it fits through the original grommet hole and gets bolted there with two bolts, I then used a 200sx pedal and cut the ball off the standard datsun pedal and replaced it with the end part of the 200sx pedal. Then the R32 cable fits right on. I think you could use the 200sx cable also for yours as its longer, hence the reason I went with the R32 cable as I only needed a short cable for my RB26.

I can post a photo if you need.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Very easy to go cable, I used an R32 GT-R throttle cable, it fits through the original grommet hole and gets bolted there with two bolts, I then used a 200sx pedal and cut the ball off the standard datsun pedal and replaced it with the end part of the 200sx pedal. Then the R32 cable fits right on. I think you could use the 200sx cable also for yours as its longer, hence the reason I went with the R32 cable as I only needed a short cable for my RB26.

I can post a photo if you need.

Thanks, if u can post a couple of pics, it would great

Ian

Club Member
These are all I have available, but you get the idea.

DSCF1832.jpg

DSCF1796_1.jpg

The throttle bracket will be getting removed during the current work underway on my car.

Follow this link and you can see how the end of the pedal look like, its basically just a u shape, all you need to do is cut the ball off your stock pedal and replace it with the U: https://japanpartsservice.com/produ...pedal-assembly-gts-t-gts-hcr32-hr32-gtr-bnr32

Or if you are going full EFI you could be fancy and have no cable, use a dbw motor to control the throttle linkages, as long as your choice of ECU supports a DBW setup.

Last edited:

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Thanks for the really detailed reply. It does look quite simple to go for a cable. Fly by wire throttle, now there’s a thought!

I’m leaning towards cable as all the Jenveys I’ve looked at use cable, some even run under the tb’s almost invisible.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I am running jenvey ITB's with a cable will post a picture later

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
I am running jenvey ITB's with a cable will post a picture later
I have a Mangoletsi manifold which comes with the option of cable or rod.the cable one has a mount that replaces the datsun one on the bulkhead. Personally I think the rod option looks neater but I went with the cable way .
Dont remove anything until you decide and have the parts in front of you,then that way you won't remove something and then wish you had left it on
2101c6a2e218d1021344eb6e31295d47.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Wow that’s tidy,very impressive. I got busy with the angle grinder already! Bracket now gone. Would like to see whatever pics u have.

I was going to ask how u sorted the washer jet and pipes but I see you have a solid scutttle panel so u can use normal nozzle jets. All looks very neat.

datsfun

Club Member
I have a Mangoletsi manifold which comes with the option of cable or rod.the cable one has a mount that replaces the datsun one on the bulkhead.

I swapped over to cable and haven't been happier. Throttle response is much smoother.

You can buy the butterfly type cable linkage attachment that attaches to the main rod and voila !

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just observations from my cars.

The 260 is cable - smoother but requires a bit of effort at the top-end.

240 rod - light but the car is jerky if I go over rough ground.

Different cars, different carbs etc so not a scientific comparison.

johnymd

Club Member
I have an assortment of cars, all with different setups. On the blue car with the 1jz engine I used the complete cable setup off the lexus soarer (including pedal fitting) and its absolutely superb as it was designed well by a major manufacturer. One of my old cars with downdraft webers had the typical aftermarket adapted cable setup and was ridiculously bad. It needed massive springs to try and get it to return to idle. The standard linkage setup is extremely light to the touch and a joy to use. My rat look car with throttle bodies is OK now I've played with various cable setups but is still not as good as linkage. My red v8 car is electronic fly by wire which is lovely.

If you are going cable then it needs to be very well engineered. I think the mangoletsi cable setup is over £300 and apparently just as good as the linkage setup if not better.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Some more pictures of my Mangoletsi cable setup which has been well engineered and all the parts come in the kit which includes the the bracket on the bulkhead. It's very smooth which is nice as the rod setup can be a bit jerky at times.
475e0389203fa53e06703cb9f5fe4db9.jpg
4d0d05a850f37bd904758786713bd29b.jpg

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
John M. has worked very hard, investing no small amount of time and money getting both kits right and some people query paying so much more for the cable kit ; you've answered why.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are the Mangoletsi Bulkhead Quadrants available on their own - I have the carb linkage and twin cable?

It seems a bit crude just to drill two holes in the bulkhead for the cables.