Rear Valance Grommets

TimW

Club Member
These grommets came in the box of goodies with Addison's Z. Purchased back in 1992 for the princely sum of £25.60 for both grommets.

Having the same two holes in the rear valance on my 260Z, I'd been trying to work out over the past year or so why these holes existed and how to go about blanking them. To my delight, finding these in the box provided part of the answer.

Now that I have a part number, I've done some searching online, but yielded little info and guessing you can no longer find them.

Does anyone know why these two holes exist, possibly original when supplied new any to do with replacement valance, UK specific etc? Both cars are 1978 UK supplied RHD 260's

I need two more for my 260 and thinking if unable to source that I'd go about making a mould somehow or having one made. Not sure how I'd go about that so any feedback would be great and of course, could go about making a batch for anyone else that needed them.

20180910_151400.jpg

20180902_180811.jpg

Last edited:

johnymd

Club Member
I think they really need welding up as I did with the red car.

Attachments

• 276A2666-8A7B-4EDF-9E4F-7A16F857E0C9.jpeg
    276A2666-8A7B-4EDF-9E4F-7A16F857E0C9.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 30

TimW

Club Member
I'd guess they're the holes for the gas shocks on the US version of the car?

View attachment 30575

That'll be it.. Thanks Mr.T

I think they really need welding up as I did with the red car.
It's a shame they weren't welded-up when the bodywork was done.

I'm not so sure Chaps, totally agree aesthetically. On my Z, being a dark colour you hardly notice them, but with Addison's being bright red they're going to stick out like a sore thumb from a distance!... Yuk...

There's a bit of me that wants to help preserve the mark, having the parts makes me feel it's an opportunity to make it completely stock, sounds silly maybe.

Purely from that point of view I think they're going to stay!..

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Did UK cars originally have these holes, or did they only acquire them with rust replacement panels?

johnymd

Club Member
We are all different Tim so there is no right or wrong way of looking at it. You do what is right for you. Either way, the bumper covers most of it so these holes are rarely seen. The grommets will finish it off and look much better than the holes.

TimW

Club Member
We are all different Tim so there is no right or wrong way of looking at it. You do what is right for you. Either way, the bumper covers most of it so these holes are rarely seen. The grommets will finish it off and look much better than the holes.

Yes, definitely. As you say you hardly see them, it's only from a distance

Did UK cars originally have these holes, or did they only acquire them with rust replacement panels?

That's what I was wondering Jon. If not original when UK supplied, they're going!... If the grommets had been after market I think we'd have our answer, but they are OEM. Of course Nissan could have supplied them as part of a replacement panel.

Darn shame I can't remember exactly when I was looking at that 260z with 18k miles on it a CCA last year.. I'm going to see if I can find some pics of it..

Farmer42

Club Member
I have them on my 2+2 which is JDM spec. I have been looking for a pair of these for ages as mine are starting to deteriorate. I didn't want to weld up the holes when I had a respray done a couple of years back & I mistakenly thought I would be able to get hold of the grommets ok.

Farmer42

Club Member

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Seems like there's a small but essential market for them? Maybe moulding another set is the way to go!

TimW

Club Member
Thanks Guys,

Yes, making copies definitely the way to go (unless Mr.F has a hidden stash somewhere) . I was wondering about 3D printer Mike. I know nothing about them, can you print in malleable material?

Farmer, it will take me a little time to work out how to make copies, DIY job or outsource etc. But definitely will be investigating it.

I think I have the answer to the question of "Original or Replacement"

I found a picture of the 260z with 18k miles I mentioned earlier... and it had them.

Also, I found this write up on the 260z, the picture showing the grommets.

260z Article.JPG

"I rest my case m'Lord"...
With all evidence gathered thus far, one can only conclude that grommets were factory spec for UK 260's.. and the holes being for US gas shocks

Last edited:

johnymd

Club Member
If you want to take this to it's final conclusion you will need to clarify at which point in time the 260z had these holes as I did not think they were on the earlier models. Maybe '77 was the start date?

Russell

Club Member
You can 3D print in a soft material and a range of “softness”.
Not sure how perfectly but certainly better than a gaping hole.
Big choice of colours to.

Got my printer pretty dialed in now with normal pla type plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slaphead

Club Member
If you want to take this to it's final conclusion you will need to clarify at which point in time the 260z had these holes as I did not think they were on the earlier models. Maybe '77 was the start date?

Fairly sure my mid 74 260z had them, back in the early 80s.

TimW

Club Member

Good point.... I have a feeling the date might be mid 1974. My understanding is that the 260 was only available in the States for one year, 1974-75. Mid 1974 there was a States side change which included the 5mph bumpers with gas shocks. So at a guess, I'd say almost certainly from mid 74, but the question remains as to whether the early 74's had them.

I'm pretty happy re mine being a 78, but it would be nice to know in general whether early 260's had them.

You can 3D print in a soft material and a range of “softness”.
Not sure how perfectly but certainly better than a gaping hole.
Big choice of colours to.

Got my printer pretty dialed in now with normal pla type plastic

Cool, thanks Russell. Good to know... Been following your post on 3d printing.

Last edited:

SacCyclone

Club Member
Checking pictures of some of my 260Zeds 1974 only stateside:

the late 1973 build date 260 had bumpers similar to the 73 240 and a small round hold in similar location as larger oblong hole pictured at the beginning of this post. Interesting too that the early 260 had the rear quarter indents for bumper placement similar to 240's and rear valance looks like the 240's with a hole added for small shocks. Maybe the small gas shock for bumpers that did not meet 5MPH requirements and thus the larger bumpers were implemented mid year and valance were changed.

1/74 and 7/74 build date 260 has the larger park bench bumpers with oblong holes for larger 5MPH shocks.