Hello - new 350z owner to be

NeilMH

Forum User
Hello,

Having spent recent years in a Westfield, then Caterham 7s and lastly an Elise, as good as they all were, I wanted something that was as interesting, had similar levels of performance but without all the compromises.

I have been trying all sorts of things within my budget (from Ford Focus STs, to Z3 M Roadster, Evo x,y,z etc). They all had their merits but the car that stood out in terms of its overall mix of performance, engine sound, balance between ride and handling, ease of living with and quality, was the 350z.

I had driven one at one of the Palmer days and loved it but didn't know what it would be like on the road - but I was really impressed. The peformance is there but it doesn't ask much of you - other than a smooth right foot. You can keep up with the best of them but its very tolerant.

So - to cut a long story short - which I haven't (!), on Saturday I am picking up an 05 350z Roadster. I have a really good feeling about it.

Neil :driving:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Yay! Welcome along dude. The 'People's' sportscar is a fine choice and one which I'm sure you'll find rewarding. Have fun, take pics and log in and show us. Good times!

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
atleast it will be a lot easier to get in and out of than a lotus elise

malcolmpaul

Well-Known Forum User
I've bought one too and picking it up Saturday, a 54 plate 350Z GT. Wanted something nice to use while the 240 is off the road for winter. Used my MX5 last winter but no ABS, traction control, air bags etc so it's going now and what better car to replace it than a modern Z to go with the old one

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Guys, 350Zs are great cars but NOT good in cold icy/snowy conditions, especially if on Bridgestone R040 tyres! Worse car I've ever driven in those conditions and I've been driving for 43 years.

See my thread from last year. You would do well to invest in winter tyres.

I reckon my 370Z will be as bad too.

Oh well perhaps this winter won't be as bad as last :unsure:

Arkwright

Inactive
Just in case anyone else is in the market for a 350, I believe Silverbullet on here still has a beautiful red one for sale plus there are some crackers over on 350z-uk.com. Remember these will be well cared for enthusiasts cars.

NeilMH

Forum User
Thanks for all the messages. Noted re tyres! I had started to pick that issue up from various places. Tyres also used to be a subject for massive debate on the Lotus Seven Club forum (and oil!).

Having said that doing a 360 in an Elise on black ice was no fun last year - at least there is something between me and the road now! I agree about getting in and out of the Elise especially with the roof on - actually harder than a Caterham.

N

martinmac

Inactive
Hi and welcome to the forum, roadster rule. Those rare sunny winter days are great fun with the roof down and a wooly hat. Congratulations.

And........ Rob," I've been driving for 43 years". You must be knackered. :rofl:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
And........ Rob," I've been driving for 43 years". You must be knackered. :rofl:

:driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving:

To clarify about ice/snow. I was amazed that with an LSD and traction control I couldn't back up my drive without clearing away the thin layer of frozen snow. Does it look steep to you? I tried a few times and it was sliding sideways and I'm really smooth and soft with the controls.

When driving in the snow the traction control works well to limit the power to the wheels - in fact you can 'floor it' and it wont spin the wheels (but it will at 0 mph as above). However steering and braking are tricky - I'm sure it's summer tyres and the wide section.

But generally they are great cars :thumbs:

Attachments

• 350Z 008.JPG
    350Z 008.JPG
    687.6 KB · Views: 11

martinmac

Inactive
I fully agree Rob, Zeds dont like the snow. Also a roadster is a fair bit heavier.

I binned my 40s as I didnt really trust them.

Paul_S

Club Member
:driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving::driving:

To clarify about ice/snow. I was amazed that with an LSD and traction control I couldn't back up my drive without clearing away the thin layer of frozen snow. Does it look steep to you? I tried a few times and it was sliding sideways and I'm really smooth and soft with the controls.

When driving in the snow the traction control works well to limit the power to the wheels - in fact you can 'floor it' and it wont spin the wheels (but it will at 0 mph as above). However steering and braking are tricky - I'm sure it's summer tyres and the wide section.

But generally they are great cars :thumbs:

Yep, they are rubbish and the 370Z is just as bad - but hey!

BTW, the drive doesn't look steep at all but from picture I see you have good taste in beer as well as cars ;)

NeilMH

Forum User
They are 040s on the car but, as luck would have it the tyres do need replacing soon. I couldn't get any more money off the car so I will look at it as an opportunity.

I have already researched the recommended alternatives and it will be interesting to see the difference.

If you are looking for a good car in the snow I can recommend a 2CV (as long as you don't hit anything - whereupon you may well be impaled by something nasty on the dashboard).

Neil