can I fit an extra silencer?

andy19422

Active Forum User
My 280 is just too loud so I was wondering if anyone else had fitted another inline silencer or resonator. Looks like there is space for one in the tunnel.

Robotsan

Club Member
My 280 is just too loud so I was wondering if anyone else had fitted another inline silencer or resonator. Looks like there is space for one in the tunnel.

Why not, if there's space then an exhaust builder could easily add one.

Out of interest, what's the setup at the moment? I'm wondering whether to have a resonator on mine or not.

SacCyclone

Club Member
That really sounds nice, even louder than my track car with an L28 and triples.

One of my street cars had dual glass pack mufflers 18" i think.......it was still too loud for the street. I ended up with 5 glass pack mufflers and it was great for the street with a raspy high note at full throttle.

Finding a nice muffle that is quiet around town and gets the high RPM sound right is very hard to find IMO. I have not found one that I like after many years.

Good luck with the search and let us know what you end up with,.

Mike

Russell

Club Member
I have a Z Story exhaust on my 1JZ swapped 260z.

Sounds incredible, not too loud and none of that raspiness you seem to have with yours.

Exhaust is the wrong side in the 1JZ so we made a custom downpipe to fit.

Robotsan

Club Member

Sounds incredible, not too loud and none of that raspiness you seem to have with yours.

I like the rasp! It sounds surprisingly like the e46 M3 that the engine is from. Or is it the S52 from the e36? If so, that's even more surprising!

uk66fastback

Club Member

Which one of Sean’s exhausts have you got? And are you running his headers?

Russell

Club Member
Which one of Sean’s exhausts have you got? And are you running his headers?

I have the full system from the downpipe. Headers wouldn’t work with the 1JZ. IMG_0055.jpegIMG_0049.jpeg

I can tell you that it sounds incredible. I wanted it to be as quiet as possible. I’m not a fan of raspy exhausts.

Bear in mind I have 2 turbos in the way of the exhaust gasses which naturally brings the volume down.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Looks fantastic. I think that must be the same as mine then which is the system from the downpipe back as I have the standard manifold. Can’t wait to get it on now - albeit I’ll be fitting it without the ease of those lifts!

Russell

Club Member
Looks fantastic. I think that must be the same as mine then which is the system from the downpipe back as I have the standard manifold. Can’t wait to get it on now - albeit I’ll be fitting it without the ease of those lifts!
Bit with the ease of having the engine it was originally designed to fit!

arcdef

Club Member
Yes you can but depending on how low you run the car, it may bottom out on very high speed bumps.

I have one in the centre of my car and fits fine.

1711367737808.png

Geoff-R

Club Member
That is loud and honestly I can't imagine what it sounds like inside a stripped out 70s car. Owning a car with an S54 in and knowing first hand how loud that can be gives me an idea. Have you changed plans and decided to sell up instead? Saw the car on FB marketplace.