280z desirable?

johnymd

Club Member
What's the general feeling about this model? To my untrained eye this looks very similar to a late 260z. Door locks and interior look pretty similar. The lower front valence corners have a bit of a bulge and the bumpers are pretty horrible but you could stick 240z ones on it to improve this. It already has a 2.8 engine which a lot of people go for and I would imagine the injection would make it more of a daily driver.

So what's the general views?

richiep

Club Member
You should ask Red Baron - he's got a very striking yellow one MOT'ed and on the road. It'll be at Tatton Park next month for me to paw over!

I suspect there isn't a consensus on this, as most of the UK audience will have no experience of them or know much about them, other than maybe think the bumpers are ugly! Personally, aside from the bumper issue, I think they often suffer from being rather fussy, in the usual American way, due to styling and dealer add-ons, the colours, etc. They probably also have the greatest amount of lard added of all the US Zs. The fuel injection may not be a bonus either given the age of the system. I think ditching it for triples is quite common.

They have the advantage of being the cheapest US market S30Zs to buy as they are probably the least desirable and the most plentiful. It thus depends on whether one is happy with the standard car or needs to streamline it to UK/non-American tastes!

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
Interesting subject.... personally dont know enough about the differences, but I still like them generally ;)

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
One thing that occurs to me - they have an advantage if de-bumpering the rear is your thing. They lack the bumper indents on the lower rear quarters. Gives a sleek look if ditching the bumper, although 240Z bumpers will still fit (maybe with a little work to the side brackets??).

Cheap, cheap, cheap!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5072589495.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5100836436.html

Mmmm, I kind of like that..... no bumpers.... and yes CHEAP!!!

johnymd

Club Member
The reason I ask is that they are a bit cheaper than the 240/260 in the US. For example, you can find a good 280z for around $10,000 but the equivalent condition 240z will be double that price or more. I've only been looking for a few months now but prices for good cars have risen while I've been looking.

red baron

Well-Known Forum User
yes i have a 280z 43k miles one owner its the dark horse in z,s it is the strongist built i love it prices are rising people have woken up to these under rated zeds good are hard to find mine is77 no rust and original has a few factory options fitted still has original exhaust have had two offers sell at a good price also have a one owner 260z no rust us model built june 74

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
Current bid:
US $8,101.00
Approximately £5,196.45
[ 10 bids ]
Postage: Will post to United Kingdom. Read item description or contact seller for postage options.
Item location:
Dallas, Texas, United States
I'd love to see the postie get it through my letter box :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
What's the general feeling about this model? To my untrained eye this looks very similar to a late 260z. Door locks and interior look pretty similar. The lower front valence corners have a bit of a bulge and the bumpers are pretty horrible but you could stick 240z ones on it to improve this. It already has a 2.8 engine which a lot of people go for and I would imagine the injection would make it more of a daily driver.

So what's the general views?

I'd rather not compare it to a 260Z - it is a 280Z and should be loved or not upon its' merits and not in comparison which is how the 260 become so unloved whilst being compared to the 240 and the 280ZX compared to the 260 !:eek:

280Z - great car - all the conveniences and still the looks - ditch the bumpers, install a 5spd if not already in and add some tasteful wheels and lowering springs - job done and if you bring me in a 2+2, I'll be your first customer.:thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I went over to California in '77. I was already a Z fan and knew of the 240 and 260. I wrote a postcard home stating with excitement that they were 2.8 over there! I didn't even worry about the bumpers!

That was a good buy John!

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
I'd rather not compare it to a 260Z - it is a 280Z and should be loved or not upon its' merits and not in comparison which is how the 260 become so unloved whilst being compared to the 240 and the 280ZX compared to the 260 !:eek:

280Z - great car - all the conveniences and still the looks - ditch the bumpers, install a 5spd if not already in and add some tasteful wheels and lowering springs - job done :thumbs:
100% Correct on every aspect:bow:

Ian

Club Member
I've always wondered why so many seem to turn there noses up at 260Z's, I can't see any reason a 240Z is any better than my 260Z and if I took the 260Z badges off mine only experts would know it wasn't a 240Z because the tail lights are different. UK Z's didn't get all the emissions s**t that US 260's got so I assume its not the case that the engine makes less power like the American ones did.

I think if you get rid of the horrible horrible bumpers on 280Z'S they are very nice looking cars,

tel240z

Club Member
I think if you get rid of the horrible horrible bumpers on 280Z'S they are very nice looking cars

I quite agree would make a perfect daily driver much better value / drivability than a stag mgb or tr6, buy one cheap bolt a fresh set of Harrington bumpers say £900 job done

richiep

Club Member
Nether of those cars I'd touch. One in primer and the other just painted! No shots of the underside or any mention of there condition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271924650271?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

This is the sort of thing i'm talking about. I bid quite high but I was still 10k below the asking price.

That looks nice. I guess with those two I linked I showed my bias for the rough, cheap project cars! I.e. I don't want (and can't afford) a nice car for my next project and have become predisposed to look at 'blank slates' first! Those two were also just meant as quick examples of how low 280Z prices can be in comparison to comparable earlier cars.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
This is the sort of thing i'm talking about. I bid quite high but I was still 10k below the asking price.

The high bid was $8k - how could you be 10k under ?