240Z on car & classic

They look like photos of old photos if you ask me, so might not be too reliable as to what the car looks like. Also, after 15 years or more, I don't think the restoration is all that relevant. Unless it has been dry stored and not used much.

So the price is probably fair. I like it.

Road rally car

The car is Doug and Carole Wright's road rally car - not seen out for about 5 years now, unless I have missed it.
They used to do pretty well in the UK road rally championships - regularity rallies - and the car always went, looked and sounded OK.
The suspension is by Leda and was originally too hard but Doug had the dampers re-valved, and may have changed the springs too, I don't know.
It also has Recaro seats, but from a road car.
This car would be perfect for regularity events and not "strange" at all!
It seems like very good value to me....

And here they are on the Regis Rally in 2003. I think we were also taking part in our Datsun 1200.

Attachments

• Wrights low res.jpg
    Wrights low res.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 49
And here they are on the Regis Rally in 2003. I think we were also taking part in our Datsun 1200.

Looks like they had fun with it, which is what these cars are all about in my mind.

Worth a look at that asking price, rally competitiors are usually genuine people who may sell tired cars but they are usually not 'basket cases' like some offered for sale.

The car is Doug and Carole Wright's road rally car - not seen out for about 5 years now, unless I have missed it.
They used to do pretty well in the UK road rally championships - regularity rallies - and the car always went, looked and sounded OK.
The suspension is by Leda and was originally too hard but Doug had the dampers re-valved, and may have changed the springs too, I don't know.
It also has Recaro seats, but from a road car.
This car would be perfect for regularity events and not "strange" at all!
It seems like very good value to me....

Sorry Hugh but I've never heard of it or them in 21 years and a rallye car with a sunroof sem strange to me unless it was the forerunner of the EA roof vents. The price is way too low which also seems 'strange' to me.
Finally the photos - they look like they were cut out of an old classic car mag..........strange !

Why not invite them here to describe the car better and upload some more detailed photos as a lot of people pass through here looking for cars ?

should be an interesting car at that price with a lot of good parts.

Sean - a Road Rally car just needs to be a decent sound Road car - don't confuse it with a Stage Rally or even what might be described as a Marathon Rally car - a very different beast.

A Road Rally is a Navigation & Regularity exercise, as opposed to just going as fast as posssible down a closed road on a Stage Rally.

Yes, you can do a road rally with a standard car with a special trip meter. However, these events do include "special tests" timed to the second - a bit like Autotests - and one also does have to "press on" from time to time to stay on schedule on the regularity sections.
Sensible modifications to make the car stop and handle better, in particular, are often a good idea to get good results + anything to make the car reliable helps too!

This is a good solid reliable, mildly modified 240Z at a reasonable price. I cannot think what Sean has got against it!

I haven't got anything against it Hugh - where have I criticised it ? I did imply that the equipment was a bit 'over-kill' but that's great to be included in what appears to be a very low price.

Still strange though :p ! Very cheap.

I wish them a good, quick sale for what is obviously an important reason.

Another one has appeared today, is it me or do some folks just think of a number when it comes to 240 prices...:unsure:

Datsun 240Z For Sale (1970) on Car And Classic UK

'Drives and looks like a new car' - well if I bought a new car with seats like that I'd be dissappointed.

With these cars to get that sort of money (possible for a 1970 car) I'd want one that was in 'standard' configuration or special in some way i.e. a competition car. This has a 2.6 engine (I assume a 260 unit not a short stroke) which would put me off and electric window motors (aweful on this car). I'm sounding like Sean now!

Also it's a poor advert for a 1970 classic car, it wouldn't sell it to me. The Rally Car would tempt me more at it's price.

Again just MY opinion.

Would you prefer that people asked for £3000 for such a car ?

I think that it's too cheap ! Or is that what you meant ?

'Drives and looks like a new car' - well if I bought a new car with seats like that I'd be dissappointed.

With these cars to get that sort of money (possible for a 1970 car) I'd want one that was in 'standard' configuration or special in some way i.e. a competition car. This has a 2.6 engine (I assume a 260 unit not a short stroke) which would put me off and electric window motors (aweful on this car). I'm sounding like Sean now!

Also it's a poor advert for a 1970 classic car, it wouldn't sell it to me. The Rally Car would tempt me more at it's price.

Again just MY opinion.

Exactly Rob, looks shoddy even in the pictures at the price asked.

SeanDezart said:
Would you prefer that people asked for £3000 for such a car, I think that it's too cheap ! Or is that what you meant ? ?

£3k of course not, but as Rob says, it doesn't look exactly 'special' for that kinda cash....!

Sean - I would hazard a guess that it's worth around the £8,000 mark, + or - 20%. dependant on how it looks underneath and the integrity of the Bodyshell, etc.

It's not difficult to make a 'Z' look good from 20 yards away.

What do you think ?

I'm surprised at you Duncan ! You can sell them for how much ?

Let's assume that it's clean on the body. C'mon, a split seat is cheapish to fix, a set of second-hand door-cards and lose the electric windows - it should reach at least £10 !

But I suspect that the body isn't as clean as all that........but I have two questions :

1) why isn't it in the club ?

2) what value does the clubs' insurance expert place on it ?

Something dodgy about the 1970 car for starters the badges are wrong on the rear wing, and the tailgate is also wrong no vents in it it suggesting it is at least a 1971 car, also has a rear spoiler, if im correct series one 240z did not have a spoiler because the 240z badge was there, obviously these parts could have been changed but id also check the speedo to make sure it started at 20 mph and not 0 like later ones also the inspection hatches behind the seats on series ones there wasnt any, holes are there but no lids were fitted to them as they were just covered in a tar covering with holes in it, the, chances are if all this is wrong and the v5 still says 1969-70 steer clear i would.

Valid only if you're paying a premium for an early car, otherwise, could be a nice Z for someone who wants one and isn't snobbish - it'll still be tax-exempt surely ?

Back