Leaking heater matrix

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Hi guys

Had a lot of good stuff put on the car and I guess I was due a problem. I was doing the gearshift lever bushings and one of the screws that held down the gaitor plate fell into the passenger footwell and that's when I noticed the damp in the carpet.

So I removed the carpet and there was a bit of a damp patch? Turns out there's a coolant leak from either the matrix or the pipe connections - I can't tell at this time.

Would it be the case that I could connect the in/out coolant pipes together temporary while I remove the matrix for a service?

Has anyone done this without removing the dash? This seems like a winter job to me :p

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_172228.jpg
    IMG_20210725_172228.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210725_172238.jpg
    IMG_20210725_172238.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210725_172243.jpg
    IMG_20210725_172243.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 29

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
You can connect the pipes in the engine bay.
Mine leaks like that, always has done but only happens when the heater controls are set fully cold (so I leave it on half hot).
I think it is the valve.

Geoff-R

Club Member
I was going to say the valve looks like it could well be past it and could be the reason for your leak rather than the heater core. I would bypass it for the time being then remove the valve and inspect before going down the route of removing the dash to get the matrix out.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Usually the valve. The matrix will come out of the box when you have removed one side.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Cheers guys, I'll connect the pipes in the engine bay as jonbills suggests - I do have it set to cold only.

The valve you say, is that it in the picture with the wire going to it from the controls?

I saw on the fsm that the matrix does pull out once you remove the side panel. But if it's that valve I guess that is a dash removal?

Are these pipe valve and other components available or are they a universal part? I am also thinking about doing an Aircon mod to the car so, don't know if these old matrix and fan box are worth keeping / restoring?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes that's the valve, but you don't need to take the dash out. I've removed two heater boxes with dash in situ.

Lots of cars run with the pipes connected and heater bypassed. I've done it and some race cars do too (remove heater to reduce weight).

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Thanks for the replies gents.

Would I need some form of cap to go on each pipe in the engine bay area? Or do I take it back to the pipework I think is mounted onto the engine IIRC?

Thanks for the link Paul_S

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Just get a piece of new supple pipe and bend it into a 'u' shape and connect it to the pipes that were connected to the heater. Or have I misunderstood you?

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Hi Rob, that's what I needed. Just didn't know if it was a bad idea to connect the 2 pipes together. Some flow and return systems don't like that sort of thing - but I am more used to central heating circuits in houses than I am of vehicles :D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Rob, that's what I needed. Just didn't know if it was a bad idea to connect the 2 pipes together. Some flow and return systems don't like that sort of thing - but I am more used to central heating circuits in houses than I am of vehicles :D
In a house you need a least one rad in the circuit I'm told. On a car you have that anyway. I've done it on two cars and it was fine.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Would it not be easier/make more sense just to change the valve?
Could do, but I want to stop the leak for now - so car can still be usable. And when valve part arrives I can put it back together and see if I've cured the problem. I wouldn't want to remove the dash at present. Hence, winter job :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Could do, but I want to stop the leak for now - so car can still be usable. And when valve part arrives I can put it back together and see if I've cured the problem. I wouldn't want to remove the dash at present. Hence, winter job :)

You don't need to take the dash out just the centre console area with the controls levers and vent.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
You don't need to take the dash out just the centre console area with the controls levers and vent.
Ah, I see. Thanks Rob, thought it was a bigger job. I've ordered that valve part - gosh they're expensive elsewhere! Over £100 in some places. Going to get some 3/8" pipe tomorrow and try to isolate the problem.

Farmer42

Club Member
If you want to stop the water leak in the meantime, you need to join the 2 pipes that come out of the block in the engine bay together. One is Y shaped and bolts to the side and the other is a stub that comes out the rear. Both should have pipes going through the bulkhead to the heater and these need to be disconnected.

When you try to replace the valve, I would recommend removing the seat and steering wheel as this will give you better access.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
If you want to stop the water leak in the meantime, you need to join the 2 pipes that come out of the block in the engine bay together. One is Y shaped and bolts to the side and the other is a stub that comes out the rear. Both should have pipes going through the bulkhead to the heater and these need to be disconnected.

When you try to replace the valve, I would recommend removing the seat and steering wheel as this will give you better access.
I've a left hand drive, so just the passenger seat I take it?

Cool, I thought there was something that came off the engine block. 3/8" pipe is right?