Samuri conversion

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Just out of interest, can anyone answer the following questions? Can you do a Samuri conversion on the 260 engine? If so what increase in performance over the standard spec car might you expect? Does it have a significant impact on fuel economy? Finally, how much would such a conversion cost and where could you have it done?

johnymd

Club Member
I believe Samuri Conversions closed down a long time ago so they wouldn't be able to carry out this work. That doesn't stop your modifying your engine for more power though. Some head work, a cam, and a set of tripples would help the performance. Fourways are still around and could do this sort of work. The performance would depend on the extent of work you have done and how deep your pockets are. To get around 270hp they a ball park figure could be around £8k or 200hp for as little as £2k.

Dale

Club Member
Shall we run a book on how many posts there are before the thread gets closed? :D

Sorry Rob, but just wait....

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
RIDDLER, if you want a bit more power get your engine bored to give you 2.8 ltr. Fit a good exhaust manifold and that should be ok - I know you have 240Z carbs.

richiep

Club Member
Shall we run a book on how many posts there are before the thread gets closed? :D

:D

In keeping with my recent behaviour, I'll be naughty and kick it off. :devil:

Actually, not really. But...

Rob - "Samuri conversion" is a term that grates on people. Spike didn't invent the idea of sticking on triple carbs and doing a bunch of internal work on a Z engine, so try not to use the term!

As Johny notes, its a series of complementary changes. Adding triple Webers, Dellortos, or similar doesn't really work in isolation. Unless you are just trying to overfuel your engine and waste money. A triple carb conversion (which is, on the surface, an easy peasy bolt-on) needs to be matched with supporting head porting to optimize performance in that component. Also, a larger than standard lift/duration camshaft is needed. Finally, you would preferably optimise the exhaust side too, moving to a tubular manifold of a suitable size and design. You will then need the car rolling road tuned to get the jetting right based on the performance and characteristics you are after.

Doing it properly is thus rather expensive. You will gain power - exactly how much will be affected by assorted variables as above. Its not hard to get 200hp. You are still going to want basic driveability though, considering the use of your car, so would probably be happier with less horsepower and smoother performance.

Just seen Rob G's post as I typed this - that might be a better suggestion. The L26 is basically a L24 (P30) block with an L28 crank and rods in it. If you get it bored from the standard 83mm to 86mm, pop L28 pistons in, you basically get an L28. Change the manifold and exhaust to something like Sean D sells.

Either way, neither approach is a bolt-on upgrade. Engine apart or out will be necessary.

There's no clear thing as a "Samuri" conversion, in todays world I don't think its the "spec/performance" to aim for. There was no set spec or build standard.

You just need to decide what you want from the engine and how you want it to feel and go from there. It might cost £1000, it might cost £5000. Ask yourself a few questions and then you'll find the way to go for the build which will give you an idea of costs etc.

You might just want a a slightly higher compression engine and cam, set up on a rolling road which should net a nice feeling motor.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Dale said:

Must not bite, must not bite :(

Nigel said:
And so the Samuri/samuri myth lives on!!:D

It will as long as there are people willing to believe in smoke and mirrors

Johhny/RichieP....IMHO your spot on

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Nigel said:
And so the Samuri/samuri myth lives on!!:D

It will as long as there are people willing to believe in smoke and mirrors

The irony being that it was largely The Z Club of UK and its members that perpetuated the "myth"...

It's worth pointing out that there's 'Samuris' and there's 'Samuris'. There was a loose formula and a menu of possible modifications which changed across time and were at the whim and wallet of the customer, and there's no doubt that some cars were better than others. There were also parts floating about that were purported to be 'Samuri' components (triple carb setups on red-painted manifolds in particular) and bolting these onto a car didn't make it a 'Samuri Conversion'. All cars should be viewed on a case-by-case basis.

Biggest point for me is that some of the Samuri Conversions/Spike Anderson/Bon Gathercole et al cars were indeed quite special and were arguably head and shoulders above the run of the mill customer cars. I'm thinking primarily of 'FFA 196L', the cars known as 'Big Sam' (ie more than one car...) and 'LAL 909K'. The latter has history in FIA-sanctioned international sportscar races, no less.

Potentially a big topic....

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Let's not perpetrate the myth...again but be constructive and answer the principle questions.

What can be done to improve an L26?
What increase in performance over the standard spec car might you expect?
Does it have a significant impact on fuel economy?
Finally, how much would such a conversion cost and where could you have it done?

It's how long is a piece of string ?

Needs more definition which means either stating a limited budget for the improvements or a specific aim with the said L26 engined Z.

And maybe why do it on a lovely, 'standard-ish' Z ?

johnymd

Club Member
I've just the part to start you off on the Samuri Conversion and here's the invoice to go with the head.

Attachments

• 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 51

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
there are Samuri conversions and there are samuri conversions

attachment.php

Attachments

• cladius rally e.JPG
    cladius rally e.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 138

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
For me its all about the paint scheme, for me that's what makes it a samuri.the orange and bronze is very retro but I did also like the blue silver one .

Mr Ex Jnr

Club Member
thing that i love about, spike wanted to be different he wanted to make jap cars fsat and he did with various samuri, only datsun samuri took off, but back in the 70s it was all about Austin Healey mk3000, TR6, and MGC they were all 3 litre striaght 6 and there were porsches racing aswell but spike samuri used to **** all over them. they are iconic car and for the 70s it was quick werent ecu werent about and the colour schemme does it with me, really gets to me when people moan about samuri i just fort i would mention we should appreciate all zeds weather there standard or a samrui or hybrid