Why can't I enjoy my hobby?

Farmer42

Club Member
So, caught a little piece of Countryfile on BBC1 last night which had a feature on Cheddar and the Gorge. They were talking to a climber who was moaning that the traffic on the nearby road which goes down through the Gorge was spoiling his enjoyment of climbing the rockface and was also spoiling the Gorge for walkers. He wanted the road shut.:rant:

Bristol where I live is not far away from Cheddar and on occasions I like to drive down there and enjoy the scenery but I want to do so from the comfort and safety of my car. Who was this guy to say that he can enjoy his hobby and the walkers can enjoy theirs but I am not allowed to enjoy mine by going for a nice drive in my car (when I am allowed without these lockdown restrictions).

Especially so if I am in my Zed. There is nothing I like better than to hear the sound of my engine bouncing off the rockfaces on the gorge and scaring the climbers and walkers s**tless. These climbers have all this safety equipment so why cant they invest a very small amount of extra money and get some earplugs if they want peace & quiet. As with walkers, go walk in a field if you don't want to get run over not on a road!!! Why can't I enjoy my hobby?

Rant over!:rant:

status

Well-Known Forum User
The walkers are as bad as people who ride horses on the roads next to a field putting the poor animal at risk in wots usually a 60 mph limit and as for the climbers they are out of the way anyway halfway up a cliff and if they fall off tuff they can’t blame car drivers as it’s them putting themselves at risk and poss some other poor Sod that sometimes have to go rescue em,leave em up there is wot I say and yes go walk in a field they are probably tourists anyway

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Reminds me about the other day when someone posted a note through my door asking for support for speed restrictions down my road (people drive faster than the 20mph signed).

Only to have 4 speeding police cars going at least 40 zoom by. (Assumed coffee run)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My two participant hobbies have been running and rallying.

Both have caused massive inconvenience to people so I can't say anything.

:blush:

Last edited:

status

Well-Known Forum User
Rock music,I must’ve peed off thousands of people over the years as when an outside gig is staged the music travels a long way ,no one complained when I did the Isle of wight festival a couple of years ago and all those inside gigs,the rally cross back in the seventies and a bit of grass track,guess I’m a noisy old git,still am as the missus complains about the noise when I empty the dishwasher,can’t win can we

tyroguru

Club Member
My two participant hobbies have been running and rallying.

Yes, for quite a number of years I ran and, probably one to trigger people around here, I did road cycling EXTRA:D . I like to think I was a pretty courteous rider and rode with good clubs but I can imagine some people didn't particularly appreciate us out there. Still, such is life.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Sadly this is a fight we are losing and fast.

Unfortunately our government is weak and bow down the the pressure of the great unwashed.
Sorry to say it but our days are numbered

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
IMO, there are many special places in the uk which are much better without cars and roads. And cars can be enjoyed in all the less special places.

Garaculas

Club Member
Must admit I quite like making the round trip to cheddar and having a bite to eat before heading back. Would be a real shame to close it to cars, people like that always have to moan about something so it’s a shame to bow to fuel them.

Nice to know of another Z in the area though!

Huw

Club Member
So, caught a little piece of Countryfile on BBC1 last night which had a feature on Cheddar and the Gorge. They were talking to a climber who was moaning that the traffic on the nearby road which goes down through the Gorge was spoiling his enjoyment of climbing the rockface and was also spoiling the Gorge for walkers. He wanted the road shut.:rant:

Bristol where I live is not far away from Cheddar and on occasions I like to drive down there and enjoy the scenery but I want to do so from the comfort and safety of my car. Who was this guy to say that he can enjoy his hobby and the walkers can enjoy theirs but I am not allowed to enjoy mine by going for a nice drive in my car (when I am allowed without these lockdown restrictions).

Especially so if I am in my Zed. There is nothing I like better than to hear the sound of my engine bouncing off the rockfaces on the gorge and scaring the climbers and walkers s**tless. These climbers have all this safety equipment so why cant they invest a very small amount of extra money and get some earplugs if they want peace & quiet. As with walkers, go walk in a field if you don't want to get run over not on a road!!! Why can't I enjoy my hobby?

Rant over!:rant:

I bet the climber failed to mention the damage the now ‘hoards’ of climbing enthusiasts are doing the gorge? The increase human activity on the rock faces, making them even more unstable than they already are and more prone to shedding loose rock. Which in turn is making the road quite dangerous on several of the curves along its length . Bet the bugger failed to mention that....

Farmer42

Club Member
Was he just moaning about it or is there an actual plan to close the road?

I think there is a consultation. The 'conservationists (walkers and climbers that are also damaging the environment)' have put in a petition but as Huw said the walkers & climbers are doing as much damage as cars. I agree that the idiots that are doing doughnuts in the laybys (and it wasnt me!!) need to be given a good slapping and I agree that the village at the bottom gets clogged but there are ways that cars could be accommodated alongside all the other hobbyists. The climber also failed to mention that he rolled up in a bloody great van with all his equipment to damage the rockface which in turn falls down and squishes walkers.

Mr.G

Club Member
Was it North Weald Drag Racing circuit that was closed down by the council as their was 1 complaint and the council wanted an excuse to close it anyway? The irony of it all was the person who complained shortly died afterwards so the noise wouldn't have bothered him anyway.

racer

Club Member
Was it North Weald Drag Racing circuit that was closed down by the council as their was 1 complaint and the council wanted an excuse to close it anyway? The irony of it all was the person who complained shortly died afterwards so the noise wouldn't have bothered him anyway.

Yes your right George.
The Drag Racing at North Weald has been going for 50 years.
The council shut it down because they said “The noise”, but strangely there had been an application to build 750 new houses near by . I notice the aeroplanes that use this aport on a regular basis are still operating though?? Funny that