What relay plugs in here?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Guys, as mentioned elsewhere I'm working through my 240Z wiring. This is an unused connector from the dash loom and it's situated near to the relay panel in the driver's footwell. It looks to me like it should have (in some markets) a relay plugged in here.
It has red/blue and red/white wires which I assume connect to the coil of the relay and then heavy duty red and white/red wires which again I assume will supply power to something.

20200227_111446.jpg 20200227_111457.jpg

240Z Man

Well-Known Forum User
I think you find those wires go to your rear heated screen and interior light as I have been making a new loom for my project

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
This is an unused connector from the dash loom and it's situated near to the relay panel in the driver's footwell. It looks to me like it should have (in some markets) a relay plugged in here.
It has red/blue and red/white wires which I assume connect to the coil of the relay and then heavy duty red and white/red wires which again I assume will supply power to something.

Is your 'Passing Switch' connected/working? Momentary main beam headlamp flasher knob on the end of the indicator stalk. The wiring colours you mention sound like the relay for that.

Paul_S

Club Member
I've been looking back through all the photos I took when I removed my dash. I think it goes to this relay:

Relay B.jpg

But I'm not sure what it does!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is your 'Passing Switch' connected/working? Momentary main beam headlamp flasher knob on the end of the indicator stalk. The wiring colours you mention sound like the relay for that.

Hi Alan, that relay is over on the other side all on it's own. I've been able to trace that circuit thanks. I hate not knowing the circuits on old cars that may need attention.

I don't even try with modern cars (or worry about them).

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think you find those wires go to your rear heated screen and interior light as I have been making a new loom for my project

I think that is the Accessory Relay which feeds the HRW and Blower. Perhaps you are looking at the wrong connector in my last pic. The connected relay is the one you mentioned. I'm trying to establish what the one with black tape on is for.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Alan, that relay is over on the other side all on it's own. I've been able to trace that circuit thanks. I hate not knowing the circuits on old cars that may need attention.

So what's not working? If everything you can think of is connected and working OK (including the radio and power antenna) that would only leave redundant/unused accessory type items not normally fitted to UK market HS30 models.

Only things I can think of are the taped-off wires in the dash loom for the electric fuel pump (but that's only two wires) and the factory fog lamp wiring.

Is this a late '72 or '73 build car? I don't think there was a specific factory wiring diagram for the UK market HS30 models.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm not fault finding I'm just trying to tidy-up and simplify the wiring - nearly there (ha ha).

I know from my rallying days that reliable electrics are important and good diagrams for fault finding are essential. I will draw my diagram when finished - the only ones I can find are very inaccurate and it's all over the internet that they are rubbish so I'm not alone.

20200224_153546.jpg

Rushingphil

Club Member
I've been looking back through all the photos I took when I removed my dash. I think it goes to this relay:

View attachment 37161

But I'm not sure what it does!

I believe Paul_S is correct!

I've started to take my dash out today so also took loads of pics - unfortunately half way through I received a new phone so the posted picture is a photo from my old phone!!

The plug connects into relay Jideco 25230 89903 which I believe is the indicator relay.

The other relay mentioned 26230 - E4100 I 'think' is the rear hatch heater relay - but I may be wrongRH indicator relay.jpg

Paul_S

Club Member
I think we're getting there! When I did a search for that relay it came back as the one for the heated rear screen.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
But if Rob's indicators, 4-way flashers/hazards and - apparently - everything else you'd normally expect to work is working, how can this taped-off plug be one of them?

Paul_S

Club Member
Yes that's the horn one. From what I read, later part numbers are interchangeable between the horn and heated screen relays. I've no direct experience of that myself though.