Toyota 2000GT

On looks, has it got what it takes ?

• Yes, I love it...Santa ?

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Not bad, if there were more about I'd consider it !

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I respect it but no thanks !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It sucks !

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
What do you really know about this car ?

What was its' purpose and why didn't it succeed (or did it) ?

How closely related to the Datsun S-30 series do you think it (and/or its' engine) is ?

"It sucks" ?????? What language is that?......

Sometimes I really worry about you, Monsieur D.

Are these rhetorical questions? I think I can answer all three thus:

*Members of this site know feck all about it.
*To give Goertz something else he can falsely claim as his design.
*Definitely feck all relation.

Of course - if you had actually read the Shin Yoshikawa book that you recommended, you wouldn't need to ask....... :p

Nighty night. ;) :)

its not a zed so who gives a toss,not bad looking though,wot about a nice 911,so sexy like me,but thats not a zed so most people on here woulndt give a toss,

top looking car i know nought about..status will ring soon i bin trying to fix my (work) van all week being scrapped this morning very very bad news...off to do a painting + decorating job in my new 2+2 (not joking).

Si.

My dear Count, I refer you to the following comments "Oh my gawwwd! http://www.fast-autos.net/toyota/toyota2000gt.html

Thats one ugly motor!"

There is bound to be someone who thinks that the Toyota 2000GT sucks - but it aint me ! Don't worry about me, I love certain cars and respect others - it has to be one pile of dogdo, preferably over-rated (like a 911) that I don't appreciate :) No, I must respect the 911, how about a Reliant Scimitar ? No, even that helped 3 door sports-hatchs but was it better than a 3ltr Capri ?
I digress, the 2000GT - no Status, it's not a Z but there has always been a connection stated between the Z and this if only because they came from the same country at 'about' the same time ! What little we know of Japan eh Count ? It's like saying that Astons and Jaguars were connected in design and developement 'cos they both used straight sixes of 3.8 litres capacity !

I thought that perhaps it was time to look a bit closer at the 2000GT to dispel more myths - a popular story is thus :
There was a prototype design taken to Nissan who refused it, preferring to concentrate on a cheaper to build model. Toyota accepted it and commissioned Yamaha to built the car ! The car also spawned a group 7 racer !

Don't crucify me, what have others heard about the origins of this car ? C'mon, what do you know ? Let it ride for a few days please Count to see what people really know !

There are others that have said that the 2000GT engine was very similar to that in the Z432 and 2 ltr Skyline (GR8) !

I have the book in front of me (not mine and I looked at the price of one last night - 150 $ !) - interesting snippet on page 90 where the author talks about the project A550X, the nascent Nissan 2000GT :)

Didnt it comes a good few years B4 the 240?....most classic sports (and semi sports!) cars look great to me...whats the matter wif some of ya!!

Bet none of you would exactly say no to a free one....

Si

Sean and the count get in the ring. 2000gt is a great looking car, i know nothing about it, but does that really matter

Nick, you mis-understand, The Count and I are together on this one :)

Not many people do know a lot about the car and I figure forums are for discussing and sharing knowledge/opinions etc !
Yes, it's not a Z but anything and everything is the right place to discuss, isn't it ?

SeanDezart said:
.......Don't crucify me, what have others heard about the origins of this car ? C'mon, what do you know ? Let it ride for a few days please Count to see what people really know !
Don't worry Sean, I'm not knocking in any nails just yet. But I honestly doubt you'll get much response on this one, as there's just not enough historical-interest activity on this forum.

SeanDezart said:
There are others that have said that the 2000GT engine was very similar to that in the Z432 and 2 ltr Skyline (GR8) !
They might well say that, but if they are implying that there was any connection between the GR8 and the Toyota 3M then they'd be jumping to conclusions. The Prince GR8 debuted in 1964 - well ahead of Toyota's 3M engine which came mid-1965 - and the Nissan S20 as seen in the PGC10 GT-R and 432 / 432-R was not really the same engine as the GR8 anyway. Nissan might have made much of its race pedigree and Prince GR8-derived lineage, but the S20 was not really the same engine at all.

The Toyota 3M and the Prince GR8 / Nissan S20 were both inline 6 cylinder twin cams with triple dual-throat carbs, but the Toyota was only a 12 valve design whereas the Prince / Nissan engines were 24 valve. The Toyota was based on an SOHC production block and had induction on nearside and exhaust on offside, whereas the Prince / Nissan engines were built up from unique purpose-built blocks and had induction on offside and exhaust on nearside. Details were also quite different.

There were only so many ways you could design a straight six DOHC engine in the mid-Sixties, so any similarities between the two were just as much a case of serendipity as anything else. They might look similar at first glance, but they are not "very" similar at all...........

SeanDezart said:
I have the book in front of me (not mine and I looked at the price of one last night - 150 $ !) - interesting snippet on page 90 where the author talks about the project A550X, the nascent Nissan 2000GT :)
We have discussed the A550X here in the past.

The book is worth EVERY PENNY, I reckon.

"The Toyota was based on an SOHC production block and had induction on nearside and exhaust on offside" - is that still the case for the Type MF12L ? It all depends upon what you call nearside on LHD models eh :) ? Still, a '2000GT' model with a 2300cc engine - anyone aware of that either ?

The book is a work of art - I dream of a similar book on each of the S-30 models... ! Perhaps Toyotas'/Yamahas' development/production records were better kept !

Am I flogging a dead horse then to stir up some genuine historical interest about Zs and other sideline info ? Shame, we drive and talk about our cars but treat 'em as if they fell with the last shower, no heritage or history ! Isn't that what Zs were always accused of by the stuck up classic car fraternity ? And here we seem to carry on the trend !
I for one, my Count, appreciate every scrap of info. I can get my hands on especially after a long debate between several enthusiasts !
Shall we instead speak of Samuris :) :) :) !!!

like i said,nice looking car,not as nice as a 911,only those that have owned one can comment,still love my Zed though,and me and my guitars and sean dezart.WOT A GUY

Thanks but a 911 ? Reminds me of all those 'nouveau riche' boys (funnily enough all from Essex) in the early Thatcher days ! Go get yourself an imagination or stick with the Z mate ;-)

nice looking car,not as nice as a 911

please a 911 is a glorified kubel wagon that then was herbie'd and then chopped and reshaped into the 911
admittedly developed very well but it has a naff interior , ive driven a few fun for a while cornering on only 1 of the front wheels but its got no real car pedigree
the toyota 2000gt is just pure class to a beetle platform and shape

toyota 2000gt ferrari aston jaguar zed lambo gt40 bizzarini etc etc class of engineering

well im not from essex,canning town,cockney b******d,but that toyota thingy you keep on about aint as good looking as a 911 and when it comes to pedigre i think a 911 will beat a zed might be wrong,chum

Maybe, maybe but everyone has a 911, a Z is different ! A 2000GT is VERY different but then I've got more chance of owning a Muira (dream car) than the Toyota !
Canning Town is still the wrong side of the river darlin' :)

steven lack said:
nice looking car,not as nice as a 911

please a 911 is a glorified kubel wagon that then was herbie'd and then chopped and reshaped into the 911
admittedly developed very well but it has a naff interior , ive driven a few fun for a while cornering on only 1 of the front wheels but its got no real car pedigree
the toyota 2000gt is just pure class to a beetle platform and shape

toyota 2000gt ferrari aston jaguar zed lambo gt40 bizzarini etc etc class of engineering
Totally Agree.
fs_0236bis.jpg

A 911 wouldnt be this good looking if you strapped Kylies Bottom to one end and Kelly Brooks Boobs to the other.
Oops , am i on the wrong website?

Back