This is a good video about the basics of 2 and 4 stroke engines

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

Very good 2 stroke information. At the end fuel injection is mentioned. I remember Foden and Commer Trucks were 2 stroke diesels and sounded great.

What a comprehensive instructional video that is for anyone unfamiliar with the difference between two- and four-stroke engines. Great stuff!

I'm sure most people already know the differences as do i, but i watched it anyway and learnt something new. I never realised some 2 stroke bikes/machinery had a separate oil tank and so believed all 2 stroke fuel and oil was premixed, as indeed it is with my gardening machinery. :thumbs:

When I was 17 my old Suzuki GT125 had a separate oil tank on the side with a sight glass showing the level, which my dad drummed into me I had to keep an eye on and check it weekly. Suzuki’s two-stroke range back then went 125, 185, 250, 380, 500, 550 and the dog’s cajonies, the legendary ‘kettle’, the GT750 - my dream bike back then. The price of them now, jeez! Pic below showing sight glass …

6AB08395-C71A-4942-8405-36DEF16A111E.jpeg

When I was 17 my old Suzuki GT125 had a separate oil tank on the side with a sight glass showing the level, which my dad drummed into me I had to keep an eye on and check it weekly. Suzuki’s two-stroke range back then went 125, 185, 250, 380, 500, 550 and the dog’s cajonies, the legendary ‘kettle’, the GT750 - my dream bike back then. The price of them now, jeez! Pic below showing sight glass …

View attachment 54962
They must of consumed quite a bit of oil then, especially with several cylinders?

And I've learned something else new about 2 strokes looking at that pic.... Liquid cooled! i thought 2 stroke had always been air cooled engines bar none. But then i was never into bikes so had no idea in that regard.

The vintage Scott was watercooled.

Of course the two-stroke SAAB was watercooled, as were some of the Eastern Block cars.

Last edited:
Drinking with my brothers and our Dad after Christmas dinner, and my brothers claim the Norfolk police used to have 2 stroke Ford Fiestas for a couple of years in the late 80s and they got chased by one when they were lads on their Vespas 😂 ! Apparently they sounded (unsurprisingly) like motorbikes and revved to about 15k!

I googled it and it seems to be true..

Well that's news to me. We need to find out more.

Back