Storage - Carcoon, are they worth it?

Huw

Club Member
Hi all

With winter coming my thoughts are turning to stopping all my hard work corroding before my eyes in my damp garage over the coming dark days. Whilst working on the car I normally heat the garage so damp is not so much of an problem. This winter the car will be virtually left alone, due to work commitments, so the garage will remain unheated and will run with damp.

I was thinking of getting one of these air chambers made by Carcoon, blurb states it will keep the damp off. Anyone using one, if so are they worth the outlay?

Cheers

Huw

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Huw, why is your garage damp - you might be better sorting that.

If not then I've heard mixed feedback about these from members so I'll let them comment.

Huw

Club Member
Hi Rob

It's a stand alone single skin of breeze block affair with a coragated cement sheet roof. On cold days you get condensation on all the surfaces within the garage and it just lingers. I have looked at putting up dry linings but the structure reallys not worth it. Short of demolishing it, there is not a lot else I can do.

Huw

Dale

Club Member
Without decent heating, an external garage will always have damp at times. Say at night, when the temperature drops outside, inside temperature will drop too. In the morning though the external temperature will rise quicker than inside the garage and damp air will be drawn in and then condensation will stick to every cold surface in the garage the damp air touches. It's bladdy annoying!

amocrace

Well-Known Forum User
have used an air chamber inside farm building to store racing Aston. Way better than just in building, used to find after a couple of months that alloy engine would be covered in white corrosion, none at all with air chamber. just my experience

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
My father in law stores his TR4 in a farm building inside an air tight thing with canisters that absorb the damp, not sure how good it is for a z but the TR hasn't suffered at all!

Ali K

Ian

Club Member
Don't go for a carcoon, I use an airchamber which is much easier and better.

I really rate it, my civic at the moment is not stored in a carcoon and the moisture traps put in are always very full whereas there is only ever a small amount in the datsuns ones and the car always looks as clean as the day you left it.

Huw

Club Member
Vents sounds the cheapest option so far, will try that. I will look into the air chamber option also, thanks Ian.

Cheers

Huw

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have a heater on a timer and a dehumidifier constantly on in my garage, it seems to work pretty well on cold wet days/nights !

Ali K

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I have a single skin steel garage and had dripping condensation problems originally. For < £100 I fixed insulation to the roof and I've had no probs since. Although I do have a heater on low to keep the frost off in winter.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Mine lives in a carcoon, nothing but good things to say about them. My garage is concrete and underground so stays warm but you will get some condensation now and again. In the carcoon it is bone dry and completely dust free when I want to get it out.

I have the sheet over it for when I am getting it in and out regularly as there is a risk of scratching before you inflate the unit, but when it comes to long terms storage after the first salt goes down I will pull the sheet out as there is will be a temp difference between the metal and the fabric which could cause some moisture to form

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Just add a wheel to the front and you have an inflatable vw camper van! :D

Ali K

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, its even more like a Camper shape when I have both fans running so its even more inflated.

Actually, that's a good point. Carcoon are fine to deal with but their consumable prices are OTT. I needed a new fan for mine as I stupidly caught something in it whilst it was running which broke off a blade which in turn put it out of balance and wore out the bearings. Anyway, £36 by the time it is delivered through Carcoon.

.....put the model number into Google, get directed to Amazon, £6 delivered! :)

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

I thought I would do a little update on this now that I have tried various scenarios and products to work out what is the best combination to create the optimum conditions for my pride and joy.

The first thing I did was to buy a cheap but accurate digital humidity meter from eBay (£6) and find out what I am dealing with. It turns out that the humidity in the garage without intervention is anything from 85-95%. Initially this had me quite worried, but if you take a step back and consider that the humidity according to Accuweather is 80-90% every time I look, the readings in my underground garage aren’t that surprising.

Now for the different solutions I have tried:

Carcoon only – this was not good, after a few days of running with brand new filters the inside humidity would reach 100% whilst still under 90% outside of the bubble. Obviously this was not good for the car, so I next tried introducing a dehumidifier into the garage.

Carcoon + Dehumidifier – this combination did not surprise, and by running at a target humidity of 60%, it was achieved in the garage BUT it was still staying slightly higher inside the Carcoon. I was not happy with how much I was having to ‘work’ the unit and in turn bump up our electricity bill so the carcoon was sold.

Car covered + Dehumidifier – 60-70% humidity easily achieved, and car storage good but still quite a lot of energy consumption. One more option to try…

Cair-O-Port + Dehumidifer (inside port) – After spotting a bargain on eBay I had to give it a go. As this product is supported by a frame you can drive in and out, access the car from the side panels, and most importantly, at no point does the coarse plastic cover have to touch the car. In terms of humidity control I was shocked. With the unit sealed, not inflated (fans are off as I have to buy a new transformer) and the dehumidifier running inside, the humidity went down to 35% within an hour of running on full wack, something which I could never achieve in the garage no matter how long I ran the unit for in the open garage. This is excessively dry and I worry it might result in dried out interior and perished rubbers, so I have switched to a target of 60%. To maintain this I don’t think the unit has kicked in yet and it definitely hasn’t collected a noticeable amount of water.

I’m that happy with this result that I am tempted to not run the fans at all, though as the transformer is on order (£5 off eBay instead of the £37 Cair-O-Port wanted), I will give it a go and report back. My gut feel is that it will blow in the moist air from outside the sealed area and the dehumidifier will have to start working harder again. I actually believe there isn’t much to gain by constant circulation given the bags that are on the market as a ‘seal and forget solutions’ for long term storage, any thoughts appreciated?

I hope that summary is useful to someone looking at storage options with winter fast approaching. For me, the products which combine a sealed unit and an integrated frame win hands down.

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
Interesting - I have the Carcoon Veloce (the one with the frame) and it doesn't seem humid inside the bubble but may have to get a meter to test it. Did you not try opening the little zip on the back of your Carcoon whilst inflated to get rid of the moisture inside and then zip it back up?

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Interesting - I have the Carcoon Veloce (the one with the frame) and it doesn't seem humid inside the bubble but may have to get a meter to test it. Did you not try opening the little zip on the back of your Carcoon whilst inflated to get rid of the moisture inside and then zip it back up?

I did, and it still couldn't get it below the outside humidity; it was always slightly more. It's important to remember that the filters aren't magic and don't remove moisture, so if the air outside the unit is moist, it's going to be pumping in moist air.

A £6 meter to check has to be worth the spend. However note it does take a high level of humidity to accelerate rust; it's higher than you would expect but I'm no expert.

kev64

Well-Known Forum User
I had the same worrying issues, I have the framed Carcoon placed a dehumidifier made for unheated garages inside said carcoon set at 50% on low with a pipe going through the wall perfect and im happy that the car is safe:thumbs: