Research into early Janspeed History

Mr.G

Club Member
Hi,

I was speaking with a Z guy from France called Benoit, who like me is interested in the early history of Janspeed, their links with Datsun and the man behind the operations, Mr. Jan Odor.

There is very limited information on the internet about the history of Janspeed and the links with Datsun as well as the turbo kits offered by the company in the late 70s? and 80s.

Of particular interest would be to know if Janspeed carried out the Datsun Janspeed Turbo conversions themselves, in house in Salisbury Wiltshire, or sold a kit to the Z DIY entusiast to fit himself. I am also wondering if Janspeed sub contracted the work to appointed garages around the country?

I have heard that some cars had a plate in the engine bay stating that they were fitted with a Janspeed kit. I do not know if this means that Janspeed carried out the conversion (I have never seen such a plate). We are also interested to learn how many Z cars still exist which originally had the conversion fitted by Janspeed.

If anyone can offer any information it will be very much appreciated. I would also be particularly grateful to anyone who has the original fitting instructions if they could scan or photocopy me a copy.

I'd be keen to collate any information that comes of this and write an article for the club web site or magazine, if allowed, and if I could find enough information.

Thanks,

George

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
you need to spek to Ben Stapley who runs the old jan Odor race car in hillclimbs and Gus van der Bol who also might have some history about Jan Odor and the car

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i think it was only 280zx that had a janspeed turbo fitted , i remember going to see a guy near liverpool (sports z salvage) and he had some 280zx's in his yard and one of them had the janspeed plate on the top of the passenger side inner wing under the bonnet or try puting a thread on the 280zx forum

Mr.F

Inactive
To my certain knowledge, Janspeed produced turbo kits for Datsun 140, 160 and 180 4-cylinder models, the 240Z and 260Z using a single draw through carburettor and also for the fuel injected 240KGT as well as the well-known 280ZX.

Janspeed would fit "in house", sell you a DIY kit and also, I think, fit via approved outlets. The turbo kit for the 280ZX was "approved" by Nissan for fitment to a new car without voiding the warranty.

The identification plate is relatively rare and I have only seen it on a few 1982/1983 280ZXs. My guess is that this was proof of an original Janspeed factory fit.

Janspeed are also responsible for the production of inlet and exhaust manifolds, modified cylinder heads, camshafts, performance engine components, gearboxes, suspension and brake components and modified fibreglass body parts. Models served in the '70s and '80s included Datsun 100A, 120A, 1200, 120Y, 510, 610, 710 and the Zs. Some components were imported from U.S.A. and Japan, but most were sourced or manufactured in the U.K. They are responsible for the building of a number of race and rally cars, plus some street customs. The wide arch kit for Z racers was popular at one time and adapted for street use by a number of cars, some of which survive to this day. I believe the moulds are still in existence.....

I have a small number of original price lists and road test reprints from the era to start your research off.......there is the scope for a very extensive article series here!

Mr.G

Club Member
Thanks everyone.

Mike, that really does put a few missing pieces into the jigsaw puzzle. I was kindly given a scan of an original Janspeed Turbo brochure showing the kits on offer which include the single turbo kits for the carburated models you mention as well as the 280ZX EFI kit.

Would it be possible if I could photocopy the literature you have? I will be at the next SEZ meet.

Steve, I would like to get in touch with Ben Stapely as well as Gus van der Bol, do they frequent this site and does anyone has an email address for them?

I have tried to contact the Z Club Archivists Chris Threadgood to discover if the archives have any information. However, his email address does not seem to work. If anyone has an alternative email for him, I will be very much obliged.

Thanks for all your help.

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
MrG240Z
I'll get Chris to PM you and sort out his email address,
hopefully be in touch soon
S

ben240z

Club Member
hi there I have the origonal janspeed moulds for the wide arch body kit. It comprises of the four wing moulds and a nose cone bonnet extention. I can produce kits if they are wanted .Norman Clancey was the engine builder that worked with Jan on the turbo datsun projects including the 240 that I am running. Sadly they have very little left in the way of bits and Jan sold the company to a management consortium shortly after Kieth was killed in a racing accident. The current management are not as responsive to the older car owners as Jan and the old team were. I think Norman must have retired by now as well. I will try and find a contact for Norman and see if I can find out how much they did with the turbo's on the road cars and why the plates were fitted. George if you want to contact me for more info then email me ben240z@aol.com

Mr.G

Club Member
Ben,

thank you very much. That information is very interesting.

I will drop you an email very shortly.

Mr.G

Club Member
Hi Sean,

Benoit is from Montpellier, you may know him as Bpaccaud from the forum 240Z.org also known as classiczcars.com

I informed him about this thread, so hopefuly he may visit our site and introduce himself to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
Janspeed turbo kit

Hi all

I am the French guy, i bought a 260z 2+2 with the Janspeed turbo kit last summer (in France) and i have the conversion plate on the passenger wings (the right)

There are several month that i try to get in touch with Janspeed, by Email, and after by phone but like you says nobody in this shop is now very concerned:( and i couldn't have good information about this kit)

little by little i have more information and with your help perhaps we could have more answer.

I think that probably the first years the conversion haven't got the conversion plate.

My car was probably convert after 1980 my conversion number is 2989, there are several development, first carby seems to be SU HS7 and after there are SU HIF44, and you can have a Microdynamics controler EMS 3 and 2 pressure switchs (as an option to adjust the timing advance in boost time)

My car is in restoration phase, my body need lot of works
to kill the rust, but my Engine works, but need a good tuning to find all the horsepower!

Thats all for this time!
thanks George to have introduce me

Benoit

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Salut Benoit et bienvenue à le monde des Zs !

I hope we can all help to get your car running to allow you to appreciate it on those sunny roads !

MrG240Z - Thanks, there aren't many of us over here !

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
I want send you picture of my registration plate, and engine but it seems i am restricted for this.

How can i contact the administrator to take off the restriction?

(I am registred in the club)

thanks Benoit

Mr.G

Club Member
Hi Benoit,

If you go to the Gallery page and go to "MY GALLERY", you can upload the photo to your gallery and we can view it from there. It will take a maximum of 24 hours for the photo to be approved and viewable.

Legendary5

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by STEVE BURNS
you need to spek to Ben Stapley who runs the old jan Odor race car in hillclimbs and Gus van der Bol who also might have some history about Jan Odor and the car

Did somebody mentioned my name? :D

I don’t know much about the history of the Jan Speed turbo’s. The person who might is Jos van de Aart but I think he gave all the info about Ben’s car, and more, to Ben.

And I saw Ben already respond to this thread as well!

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
conversion plate

If someone know a man that is abble to find the history of my car with the conversion number, it will be very cool.....

When exactly the car was modified, how many it was cost, and what is the owner aat this moment...

I' am interesting too to know if someone use this kit in hillclimb or track racing, and if he was satisfied by it!

thanks, and tell us more....

Benoit

Mr.G

Club Member
Benoit,

How much history do you know yourself about your vehicle?

Was it imported from the UK and when? Do you know what the original UK registration number is? The UK registration number may assist in jogging someones memory about your car.