Passing the batton

Kest

Club Member
Hey there guys,
Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam Kesterton (prefer Kest), and I am now the proud owner of a 260 2+2. Well a project at least. Which I hope to fully restore and get to some sort of condition where it meets some of your guys approval here. I guess I’ll start a thread a little further down the line to track the progress, that seems to be the normal course of action for projects, so more on the specifics later on I guess.

Now let me rewind a little. Some of you may have recognized my last name Kesterton, well yes I have been around the club for 30 or so years but mostly as a tag along, my father was Brian Kesterton, he ran the heart of England for many years back in the day and at least I feel one of the bigger fan boys for the 280zx. I recognize many names amongst the forums so I know many of you will have known Brian personally or at least heard of him (he was always helpful sorting parts for many club members), or at the very least he was on the top gear episode where Clarkson was a d**k to everyone in the club.

Sadly I am sorry to inform you all that my father passed away in October of last year following some tough times with Alzheimer’s disease. Times were hard, truly hard, but even after us his family failed to be recognizable to him, he still checked in on his car and admired it, his car was everything to him. The cars and the club were such a big part of his life, so I thank you all for being apart of some of his truly happy memories throughout his life.

Prior to his death other shells and projects he possessed had been scrapped due to garage spaces and some reality of his abilities – It was so saddening what was disposed of. However his 280 remains as does his last project that we both worked on side by side before he became too ill to work down the garage.

The 260 fat ass is now my own and I aim to finish what we both started many years ago.
my ability is against me, I gave up working on cars maybe ten years ago now, and my experience with Zs is they are normally ZXs, but my heart is in the right place and I have 30 years worth of 280 parts to assist. So with your guys help, guidance and occasional ire or passive aggressive forum comments I'm sure I can put something together that would make my old man proud.

It's certainly not staying yellow.

Attachments

• car 01.jpg
    car 01.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 86

Garaculas

Club Member
Afraid I didn’t know your father but great to see you’re picking up the baton and finishing off that 260Z. It’s an awful time to lose someone during this pandemic and my heart goes out to you and your family.

Look forward to seeing the project thread and hopefully catch you at a meet in the not too distant future :thumbs:

Bazzateer

Club Member
I'm new to the club so never knew your Dad. He sounds like a top bloke. Look forward to seeing another 260 2+2 on the road.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I knew Brian and have met him many times. I've also 'phoned him a few times. He was a lovely man and the last time I spoke to him he was fine but that would have been a few years ago. Did he have a Skyline too ? Is your Mum (Avril) still around, she was often with Brian?

Sad to hear and time seems to pass so quickly as you get older so it's a shock to me.

I saw the Top Gear 'show' where Clarkson took the 'mick' out of the members and Mike Feeney's beard. Clarkson thinks making people look small makes him look clever - so wrong.

Thank you Kest for coming on here and telling us about your Dad and your project, I'll try to help you if I can.

Last edited:

uk66fastback

Club Member
What a great tale about working on the cars together but sorry to hear about your father’s passing. With the Z expertise on this site (not mine - I can offer only encouragement), you’ll be fine on the resto work. I’m only about five years in on Z ownership and know nothing compared to the wealth of knowledge on here. I’ve never seen the TG footage of Clarkson and club members and don’t want to really. Confirms the guy is pretty obnoxious though, which is what I’ve always felt. Any pics of The Project?

tyroguru

Club Member
Hey Kest - really sorry to hear about your Dad's passing and particularly the struggles with Alzheimers.

Having a Dad who bought you up around Z's and cars puts you in front of me in terms of awareness and probably experience as I'm a total n00b to car restoration and Z's. That said though, the crowd on here are extremely encouraging and very tolerant of my lack of knowledge and skills with lots of quality advice and guidance forthcoming. Sure, some people here would have a good argument ('argument' is probably too strong most of the time) if they were in solitary confinement but they keep it to themselves and the admins :) . Definitely a non-threatening environment.

As others have said, looking forward to seeing some images and hearing about plans.

Mr.G

Club Member
Sorry to hear of your loss but glad you are taking over the Z batton for your dad.

Look forward to reading of your progress with your 260.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hello Kest and welcome here.

I had the great privilege to know your father and without a doubt we must have met up as well.

Your father was a lovely gentleman, yes - a fantastic fan of his car and 280ZXs and it was always a pleasure (although rare once I'd left the UK) to meet him. I'm so sorry to hear of his loss and understand completely how difficult it must have been for you and his family towards the end.

Do you still have his 280ZX in addition to your shared, project car ?

Hopefully, you'll share photos of the 260Z or if already up here somewhere, a link ? :)

Remember....."every girl crazy 'bout a fat-assed-Z"

status

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry to hear about Dad I recognise the face in the piccie you posted,I too did the dvd with Clarkson in my 240 Z.The dvd was called hot metal.I took the the late Mr F with me and we tore past clarkson on the M40 while he was in an Aston Martin
Although he is a nobhead at times at least he is entertaining ,I remember we was chatting and they dropped a merc off for him to do a write up and the truck driver gave him the keys and said don’t scratch it or else,He didn’t say a word,was a good day that

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi Kest & welcome.

I didn't know your Dad but he sounds like he was a good bloke and the type of person that was an asset to this Club. I lost my Wife last year just after the first lockdown so I know how tough things can be when you lose someone close. Fortunately for us, it wasn't covid related and I was able to be with her at the end in hospital and say goodbye. One of the things that has kept me going since is my Z and the support of some Club members. I have a 2/2 and its good to hear of another possibly getting back on the road. Hopefully you will bring it along to some events in the future if they ever start back. Parts are difficult to get hold of especially those from the bulkhead back and even more so for body panels. If you have little or no rust then you are on to a good start. Good luck with the resto.:thumbs:

Hi Kest & welcome.

I didn't know your Dad but he sounds like he was a good bloke and the type of person that was an asset to this Club. I lost my Wife last year just after the first lockdown so I know how tough things can be when you lose someone close. Fortunately for us, it wasn't covid related and I was able to be with her at the end in hospital and say goodbye. One of the things that has kept me going since is my Z and the support of some Club members. I have a 2/2 and its good to hear of another possibly getting back on the road. Hopefully you will bring it along to some events in the future if they ever start back. Parts are difficult to get hold of especially those from the bulkhead back and even more so for body panels. If you have little or no rust then you are on to a good start. Good luck with the resto.:thumbs:

Really sorry to hear that mate.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Hi Kest and welcome.
Thanks for sharing your story with us. As I'm in the states i never met you father but it sounds like you had a great relationship with him, which is more than many can say about their dads.
If there is anything I can do to help with parts from the states, please reach out to me.
Mike

AD240Z

Club Member
Hello Kest . I lost my Dad this time last year to dementia , he had been a car guy his whole life and one of the saddest thing was when he had to give up driving .

Im not the best mechanically - but get by with online resources , and particularly the help available on here . Steady away - try not to break anything .....

Im sure you will get on just fine and your dad would be proud of what you achieve .

Kest

Club Member
I knew Brian and have met him many times. I've also 'phoned him a few times. He was a lovely man and the last time I spoke to him he was fine but that would have been a few years ago. Did he have a Skyline too ? Is your Mum (Avril) still around, she was often with Brian?
Thank you Kest for coming on here and telling us about your Dad and your project, I'll try to help you if I can.
Thank you for the thoughts Rob.
Yeah my mom is still going strong, obviously it was hard on her, but shes coping remarkably well.
As to the cars he never touched skylines, i guess it wasnt classic sports car looking enough for him. He was never the biggest fan of the first generation Zs either but the 'other club' gave him crap over the years for attending with the 280zx, which was the reason behind him buying ol' fatass.

Hello Kest and welcome here.

I had the great privilege to know your father and without a doubt we must have met up as well.

Your father was a lovely gentleman, yes - a fantastic fan of his car and 280ZXs and it was always a pleasure (although rare once I'd left the UK) to meet him. I'm so sorry to hear of his loss and understand completely how difficult it must have been for you and his family towards the end.

Do you still have his 280ZX in addition to your shared, project car ?

Remember....."every girl crazy 'bout a fat-assed-Z"

Thank you also for the kind words Sean
Yes we still have his 280zx, I guess i'm now the caretaker of it but there's a bit of tension on that part, i guess we'll let the dust settle there, id prefer the car was kept as my dad kept it, but other family seem to think that it absolutely shouldn't be touched by man nor beast.
Undoubtedly we would have interacted at some point previously, i used to be about a lot. I am possibly mistaken but i think you bought a 2 seater 280 of him many many years ago, but maybe im getting mixed up, ive had one or two beers since then and the brains not as sharp as it once was.
Ive actually been reading the site religiously since signing up in November, but was a touch apprehensive about making the message that i did as an intro, its hard giving many people bad news at once effectively, but your reminder "every girl crazy 'bout a fat-assed Z" , really cheered me up and made me feel very welcome - so thank you for taking the time.

Hello Kest . I lost my Dad this time last year to dementia , he had been a car guy his whole life and one of the saddest thing was when he had to give up driving .

Im not the best mechanically - but get by with online resources , and particularly the help available on here . Steady away - try not to break anything .....

Im sure you will get on just fine and your dad would be proud of what you achieve .
sorry to hear of your troubles too, as we get older (im only 35 and yet..) we realize that dementia is such a bigger part of life than we were ever told. its so hard to watch someone lose themselves to the disease, although actually he went with a full driving license, he drove well past he should have and it was easier to convince him the car had a flat battery and give him lifts than to approach the license situation.

Hi Kest & welcome.

Im so sorry to hear of your loss. For us lockdown did not make it easy on the family having access to him in hospital and stuff, plus we got the impression that hospitals were more concerned with the pandemic than a sick old man (understandably true, but not nice to be told directly by a doctor).
For myself, its cathartic to be down the garage and be with the cars, plus theres more than enough work down there to keep me busy for a very long time.
ill try my best to get it on the road soon enough.

Kest

Club Member
Many thanks to everyone for their thoughts, its certainly made me feel welcome.
Everyone is very eager to hear about the project so ill give you all an idea of what im playing with as a brief, just to wet your appetites.
so the car was bought maybe 15 years ago ish, i believe from a club member bitd, the car was mostly complete, plus extras and was mostly solid. the story was the previous owner had the underside blasted and it had blown through and taken out the headlining. but i think the floor work was done - ive yet to check this fully (holds breath).
the car wasnt touched for a few years (par for the course right?) but was finally brought down to the garage and work started here and there, engine wouldnt run, and we managed to fill the sump with fuel in trying to get it to turn over, we decided the rings were past best so we dropped the engine and sold it on ebay. with the idea of the 280 engine he had sitting around for many many years to go in.
bits of bodywork was started but not finished.
then time......
so now the car is covered in garage detritus and 280 bits, i still havent gotten to the car fully. theres a late 280zx engine (f54 p90a) in the corner needing a full rebuild, but with the rocker cover off so the cam has nice coating of rust all over *sigh*
theres literally 30 years of z parts all over and im working through everything trying to find space. so you guys should be able to help me out here and there im sure.
To give you all an idea of who my dad was, i found a box of bits earlier amongst many boxes, and there was interior plastic bits mixed with engine mounts and engine internals, there was a set of cam towers and yet 3 old waterpumps in there, why would you keep three old grotty waterpumps.
so yeah, ive got an uphill battle, but its all there i guess, plus spares, just gotta find it all.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thank you also for the kind words Sean
Yes we still have his 280zx, I guess i'm now the caretaker of it but there's a bit of tension on that part, i guess we'll let the dust settle there, id prefer the car was kept as my dad kept it, but other family seem to think that it absolutely shouldn't be touched by man nor beast.
Undoubtedly we would have interacted at some point previously, i used to be about a lot. I am possibly mistaken but i think you bought a 2 seater 280 of him many many years ago, but maybe im getting mixed up, ive had one or two beers since then and the brains not as sharp as it once was.
Ive actually been reading the site religiously since signing up in November, but was a touch apprehensive about making the message that i did as an intro, its hard giving many people bad news at once effectively, but your reminder "every girl crazy 'bout a fat-assed Z" , really cheered me up and made me feel very welcome - so thank you for taking the time.

I was thinking that you were brave to have wriiten that post and I reckon your Dad would have been proud of you as he was a no nonsense, straight guy. Was it a gold-ish paint-faded 2x seater 280ZX ?

Looking forward to to seeing photos of the......."Fat-bottomed girl..you make my rocking world go round". Take care.

Kest

Club Member
I was thinking that you were brave to have wriiten that post and I reckon your Dad would have been proud of you as he was a no nonsense, straight guy. Was it a gold-ish paint-faded 2x seater 280ZX ?

Looking forward to to seeing photos of the......."Fat-bottomed girl..you make my rocking world go round". Take care.

Could have been THAT car, maybe, the only thing that i remember much is the trim piece between the front window and the quarter light, being the primary reason for having the car.
as to pictures, my profile pic is the girl a few years ago, ill take some more when i dig her out soon enough.