Originality or Performance?

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi

I am in 2 minds what to do with my engine and would appreciate some views to help me make up my mind.:confused:

I have a JDM Fairlady Z 2+2 with the original L20, 2 Litre Japanese spec engine. It runs lovely with no problems and good compression and it will happily sit at over a ton on the motorway (not that I have done it that often). Don't get me wrong, I love driving the car but the problem is that it doesn't give me the buzz of the power throwing you back in your seat that I was sort of expecting.

I have been considering swapping it for a L26 or L28 engine for some time but I am torn between keeping the car as original as possible or going for the increased engine power. I have spoken to a few Z Club members at various meets and have had a mixture of opinions.

Would be interested in any sensible views on whether originality matters to the value as I have no doubt that I will need to sell the car at some point (but not for a few years yet). I am not interested in thrashing round a track but would like some increased road performance and a bit more acceleration.

I suppose cost and availability of L-series engines is a big factor but the worry is that any engine I got hold of would need a re-build which is more cost. What would I expected to pay for an engine and does anyone have one that they want to sell?

Would be interesting to know whether the current block could be re-bored to a 2.4 or 2.6 litre. Has anyone done this?

Cheers

Paul

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Paul

It's your car and you do what you want with it.

Having said that, if you do want more power, I would put the original engine safely to one side, so that it can be put back in to return it to originality

I would also suggest that any mods are fitted so that they too can be removed and the original parts refitted.

That gives you and any future purchaser to enjoy the car in whatever state you want and keeps the car attractive to a wider band of folk

Whatever you decide, enjoy it ;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
If budget is limited then stay as you are - there you are - three replies, three different opinions.

However, you're as happy as you say with your engine and 'merely' seek more thrills, consider fitting a lightened steel flywheel for quicker acceleration and perhaps also a different ratio-ed diff for the same reason. Keep the original parts for an eventual swap back.

If you up the power and therefore theoretical road-speed, you should upgrade the brakes and for them to perform correctly upgrade the suspension.....the cost is not merely limited to an engine upgrade !!!

However, I would seriously consider fitting a vented front kit and harder springs - again, keeping the original parts safely aside.

Nexussteve

Well-Known Forum User
People worry too much about what others think!
If you want to sell the car, then don't change anything and let someone else enjoy it.
If not, do whatever the hell you want and exactly how you want to do it! That car belongs to you. You are not a museum!

Let the concourse guys keep one for posterity! Failing that, Nissan will always have an original one hidden away! ;)

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Performance all the way :thumbs: But keep all the original bits you take off the car so that they can go with the if you sell.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
People worry too much about what others think!
If you want to sell the car, then don't change anything and let someone else enjoy it.
If not, do whatever the hell you want and exactly how you want to do it! That car belongs to you. You are not a museum!

Let the concourse guys keep one for posterity! Failing that, Nissan will always have an original one hidden away! ;)

Very good advice and its value will always be limited being a 2+2 but also lacking what he was originally asking which was after deciding to modify - what to do.

Concours (from the French)

Concourse : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concourse

:eek:No offence, no nit-picking, I merely want to avoid you repeatig the same easy error.:cheers:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Would be interesting to know whether the current block could be re-bored to a 2.4 or 2.6 litre.

Your current L20 engine has a bore of 78mm
L24 and L26 engines share a bore of 83mm
You cant overbore that amount IMO.
Even if you could it still wouldnt make 2400 let alone 2600 as the L24 and L26 cranks are both longer stroke at 74 and 79mm.respectively.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
'Farmer' perhaps try and work out what power you need in a 260Z 2+2 to give you the performance you want. When you say you want something to push you in the back you are probably needing 200bhp.

Then consider any other mods that may be required to compliment the power.

It does seem a shame to spoil the originally of your rare car.

My suggestion - make an offer on that 2+2 (with RB engine) on ebay. Seriously.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'd go with MikeB's suggestion. If you're patient you can pick up a 'probably working' L28 for less than £400.
Then if it doesn't work, you have the fun of rebuilding it.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
the problem is that it doesn't give me the buzz of the power throwing you back in your seat that I was sort of expecting.
When you look at the power and weight of your car your "problem" becomes obvious. To me anyway and hopefully to you if I put up some facts and figures.
Your car... 130bhp or 125bhp dependant on year.
Your cars weight.around 1200kg with fluids in it. Add yourweight?? 75kg???
Weight driving on the road around 1250 to 1275kg.
So roughly 100bhp/ton metric.
Compare that to other cars.
I dont have an S30 so I cant give any personal figures but someone will Im sure in the interests of a comparison.....

My Zed is a non turbo Z32. It weighs 1275 with fluids. Add me...more than 75kg!!
it makes 235ish bhp
So around 175bhp/metric ton.
Pity you are so far away. You could drive it to see if it would feel about right for you??
Well you CAN drive it...you would just need to travel:D

Farmer42

Club Member
Hmmm!! Thanks guys, some interesting points made to consider.

I admit that I hadn't thought about all the other upgrades (brakes etc) that I would need if I had a bigger engine although I would have thought, perhaps mistakenly, that the car was designed to accommodate a 2.6 Litre engine like all the other 260Z models outside of Japan.

I take the point about keeping all the original parts if I do change the engine - something I also hadn't thought about and this therefor rules out rebuilding the current block (although PMAC's comments seem to rule that out anyway).

Rob, my problem is lack of storage so even if I could find the advert on Ebay, I couldn't buy it as I have nowhere to keep it.

I think I will keep my eyes open for an L26 or L28 to become available and then make my mind up if it is affordable. Would probably enjoy rebuilding it if it was necessary without the pressure of desperately needing it to be able to drive the car.Until that point, I will just enjoy what I have got.

Cheers

Paul

Huw

Club Member
Hi Paul

There is an L28 on ebay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Datsun-28...920368?hash=item210a037870:g:o80AAOSwHaBWlC7b

Anyway, your car do what you feel is right for you I guess.

I would suggest, like Sean, the lightened flywheel. Its low'ish' cost and easy to revert to original if that what you are concerned about. Its easier and quicker to do than an engine mod. It does make a marked improvement on the acceleration. Makes my 280ZX feel much quicker off the mark.

p.s If you do fancy doing that, happy to give you a hand/tools etc with it as your just up the road so to speak.

Huw

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I take the point about keeping all the original parts if I do change the engine - something I also hadn't thought about and this therefor rules out rebuilding the current block (although PMAC's comments seem to rule that out anyway).

People have been boring L20A, L20AE and L20E blocks to 83mm safely for 40+ years in Japan.

Kameari Engine Works currently carries an oversize piston kit for the L20A in 82.5 and 83mm sizes. That would give you roughly 2263cc on the stock L20A crank's stroke.

You can fit an L24 crank in the L20A block too, which would give you 2393cc with the 83mm piston kit. And who would know?

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
People have been boring L20A, L20AE and L20E blocks to 83mm safely for 40+ years in Japan.

Kameari Engine Works currently carries an oversize piston kit for the L20A in 82.5 and 83mm sizes. That would give you roughly 2263cc on the stock L20A crank's stroke.

You can fit an L24 crank in the L20A block too, which would give you 2393cc with the 83mm piston kit. And who would know?
Depending on how much the kit was it might be cheaper to start with an L24 and rebuild that with a smaller (and therefore cheaper) rebore???
L24 engine to rebuild £150. Oversize pistons £175 set

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My point is that even an L24 in a 2+2 will not achieve a great deal. I have a standard 240 and it''s not as quick as you might be hoping for. My 240 with 200bhp 2.8 is OK but not really quick.

To quantify what you want you really need to ride in a few different Zs or find an acceptable modern car that you can quantify for reference.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Would be interesting to know whether the current block could be re-bored to a 2.4 or 2.6 litre. Has anyone done this?

I was just answering the above question. Yes it can be done, but whether it is worth it is another - fairly subjective - question.

The thing is, Nissan never really marketed the 2/2 models as 'sports' cars per se. If you go down the path of making it more *sporty* it kind of has a domino effect on the rest of the car. It can lead ultimately lead to brake, suspension and gearing changes. Where do you stop?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Overbore as above, lighten flywheel and add a turbo ?

Your L20A on carbs gave 115bhp when new.
L20E with injection 130bhp.
L20ET with injection and turbo 145bhp.

Add a Garrett turbo, the lag may give you the thrill you seek ?