New Z Owner

Jimbob80

Forum User
Mornign All,

Im James, and the extremely proud new owner of my dream car a 1976 Datsun 206Z. Im based in the North West near Manchester.

Its the second Z ive owned as i previously owned a 300ZX a couple of decades ago.

As you would imagine i have a million questions, that im sure most will think are stupid, but i guess if you dont know, you dont know.

Im currently buried in the haynes and FSWM to try to get my head around things and i have a basic mechanical knowledge base.

I must say im thoroughly enjoying the car, im not sure if im just old and weak, but i dont remember cars without power steering being this difficult haha :)

Cheers

James

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase.

Put up some photos and ask away, I’m sure there will be some obvious questions we’ve all asked when new to it and other new ones.

Tell us what you need to do, what you would like to do and any future plans for the car.

Hope the car is everything you hoped for.

Jimbob80

Forum User
1851-11.jpg1851-0 - v2.jpg1851-10 - v2.jpg

Thank you,

Ill pull together a list of all the questions so im not making multiple posts.

In terms of future plans, i guess its always difficult to find that balance between originality and quality of life mods. Im pretty sure im going to do a LED headlight direct replacement as the current lights are like victorian candles. :( but for the most part keep it stock.

It difficult without a frame of reference to know, what it should feel like and what it shouldnt.

Cheers

James

Jimbob80

Forum User
Hi James, no power steering can be a shock. How big are your wheels and tyres?
The last car i drove without power steering was a H reg square back polo (my first car). Im not sure on the exact tyre sizes or wheels yet, hopefully the pics above give you an idea. I guess i was expecting it to be super heavy whilst parking etc, but even going round roundabouts i feel like im wrestling it :)

yellowz

Club Member
View attachment 60660View attachment 60661View attachment 60662

Thank you,

Ill pull together a list of all the questions so im not making multiple posts.

In terms of future plans, i guess its always difficult to find that balance between originality and quality of life mods. Im pretty sure im going to do a LED headlight direct replacement as the current lights are like victorian candles. :( but for the most part keep it stock.

It difficult without a frame of reference to know, what it should feel like and what it shouldnt.

Cheers

James
Welcome!

Your muscles will get stronger with using the steering and try a relay on the headlights first.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yep huge tyres. When I bought my first 240 it came with rear tyres like those but mine were 'Kelly' tyres. I think they were American - no grip in the wet, so I soon changed them.

Do your tyres have an 'E' marking, mine didn't?

I was driving downhill on a wet road in Scotland (I drove up there to climb Ben Nevis) and the back-end kept breaking away but the guy behind in a Mondeo wasn't having a problem. Mine were seriously poor tyres, changed them when I got home.

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
What yellow Z said! It will save your stalk switch and make your lights brighter too.

I haven’t relayed mine (yet) - too many other jobs on - but I did swap in H4 led bulbs with an advertised 3000lm and wow!!! I can actually see the road at night! While a white (rather than yellow) light coming out of a classic car isn’t classic enough, for me it was a worthy sacrifice for seeing the road ahead and reducing the load on the alternator.

IMG_0872.jpeg
See the difference just in day time!

On that note, I also replaced the rear lights with LEDs for the same reason. Next will be the dash lights.

You can also replace the indicator relay with one designed for LED lights and do those too. It’s a very satisfying job and reduces the alternator load.

Nice looking car there. Those tyres do look wide. And here is another perspective: mine was SUPER heavy parking and quite hard work at other times. Then I took the front axle apart and found that my ball joints and track rod ends were nearly completely seized. Again, a super easy job and it transformed the car. But you still realise that you need to pump at the gym for the steering muscles we’ve all lost over time. You also know when you find a hole in the road as the wheel tries to escape your grip!

Some other easy jobs:

A satisfying job / mod is to install the 280zx internally regulated 70A alternator.

Swap to electronic ignition, be it 280zx dizzy or 123 Ignition (I prefer the latter for a huge lot of reasons I won’t go into here). From the photos I think you already have the 280zx dizzy there (not a points dizzy). But it does look like you still have the ballast resistor. I understand they were a regular failing point, so you may wish to consider a 1.5ohm coil and by passing the ballast resistor.

Clean up the corrosion all electrical connectors staring with the fuse box.

Poly steering rack bushes improve steering feel. Add to that poly steering coupler (not the solid ones though).

Poly drop link bushes.

But having said that I didn’t like poly ARB bushes. There was just too much noise transference for my liking for the limited benefit on handling.

Some think the OE brakes are perfectly adequate, but I like many others went for the 4 pot Hilux calipers with vented discs on the front - I just like the way the car stops now and never fades when being a hooligan on a track or otherwise.

The brake fluid looks a little more orange than fresh, so you may wish to consider a flush with fresh Dot 4.

You can see the breather on the top of the valve cover has a filter. Which also implies that the crank case breather on the block is also venting directly to the atmosphere. Given the gunk I see in my catch tank, would recommend one of those rather than venting all that crud into your engine bay.

Now then, to be slightly controversial, while I LOVE the mating call emanating from those open trumpets, they are sucking in hot air (bad for power) and small creatures / dust etc (bad for engine longevity). Some have driven decades without issues, others like me aren’t brave enough and like cool air in the intake. Another thing to consider is that you get fuel “stand-off” most at the end of those trumpets sitting over a hot manifold - which can be a fire hazard. Your call, but my personal preference would be a “club airbox” and a cone filter at the front of the rad.

Every 11°c is costing you 2% torque. So imagine how much people spend on mechanical parts to gain 5-7% more - and you can have it almost free by taking cold air from the front of the car ;)

IMG_4230.jpeg

@toopy is your man on the 2by2 260Zs and can help you with the nuances that are different compared with the 2 seaters.

I’ve written too much already, probably with loads of auto-correct typos - sorry! Hope it helps a little.

Last edited:

Jimbob80

Forum User
Hi Alik,

Thats an amazing response thank you, ive refrained from joining owners clubs for a long time as ive found them somehwat toxic in the past, where literally every response is "use the search button".

I mean i get it, it must getting pretty annoying to keep repeating yourselves, but sometimes asking the question is as much about genertating a bit of rapour with the other owners as it is about actually finding out the answers.

Looking through your message, i have a list as long as your arm of things im considering, its going to my professional detaqiler tormorrow so i know where stand cosmetically, but im pretty sure its going to have a full bare metal respray in the spring.

I saw the vented discs upgrade its defo on my list, your right it does stop perfectly fine, infact ive already had to remember that it doesnt have ABS !!! as i jumped on the anchors on Saturday haha. Going to bleed all the fluids whilst im at it. But i do intend on doing a couple of track days next year so definately worth it.

I take on board Yellow Z's and your comments re the light relay. Electrics is my real weak point to be honest, as im pretty sure ive got a indicator stalk fault as well as its pretty tempermental. Ill have a search for a guide on installinglighting relays, as my plan was also to upgrade all of the bulbs / lights to LED's.

I also have no light in the clock (im assuming it does have one) and my fuel guage reads zero constantly, ive read its likely a fuel sender failure, but havent investigated yet. Ill have a search for a guide on installing

Also, plan to poly bush upgrade everything as well.

noted on the breather pipes, i did think it was strange to not have any collector cans in there.

Other issues ive identified so far are;

* Rear folding seat doesnt lock into the socket correctly and falls down under heavy braking.
* I have an 8 track and a radio, but cant get any sound, im not even sure i have any speakers (i think there may be one buried in the back somewhere.

Ive already had all the plugs out to do the gaps as it didnt run on anything like 6 cylinders when i picked it up.

-----

Finally, i saw your comment on open carbs, man that sound is something else.. I totally get it with the power etc, but thats not something im shy of with other vehicles, so im not desperate to make this the fastest it can be. If i bee decides to fly in and commit harry kari, then i just get to take the engine out and rebuild, (sounds like a fun weekend to me :) :) :) ).

Cheers for the response, im sure ill see you at an event in the new year. Merry xmas.

James

Robotsan

Club Member
Great post @AliK - I've written down a couple of those for myself!

@Jimbob80 - Firstly, I'm in south Manchester, M16 - where are you? Secondly, regarding your temperamental indicator stalk - I had the same issue. Like Ali said above - clean up all the electrical connections - but start with the battery earths. I did the one from the battery to the firewall, and the one from the battery to the starter/gearbox, and that solved my iffy indicators and a load of other electrical gremlins in one go.

It's interesting to see a RHD 260z with the US tyres and black engine bay - usually something I associate with US cars. What's the history behind this one? Has it always been a UK car?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You’re most welcome chap and I hear you on the google comments. I can see both sides of that one but totally agree with your sentiments.

I know mine will need another bare metal job as the previous owner did that over a decade ago, but I’m not brave enough as I know there will be scary / crappy repairs I need to put right. If I don’t know about it and it’s shiny it can’t exist!!! :p Seriously though, that’s a good decision but plan / prepare mentally for some hidden horrors!

On the fuel gauge, the easiest thing to do is to go to the sender, connect the two wires together and turn ignition on. You should see the guage fly to the right. If it does, it’s a corroded connector or sender issue. If not, measure the resistance of the sender at its terminals. If you know roughly how much fuel you have, this pic should help test the sender.

IMG_6845.jpeg

If any consolation, I did the same the other week! I was trying to get some heat into the brakes on a “warm the car up” drive and forgot about lack of ABS ;). Makes you realise how good it is on modern cars!

With those carbs you don’t need a radio :p

Even on SUs, driving without the airbox is a great sound - so I hear you. But you know my thoughts - we all have to enjoy our cars in our own unique way.

If you can’t get yours to work, I think there were some 260 2+2 seats up for sale recently so if you’re fully paid up, you should be able to see them in the classifieds.

Keep the questions / photos coming. I’m sure this will be a great car by the time you’ve finished with it. But one word of advice, take your time and make lists - things can get expensive super quickly and also your plans WILL change as you get to know the car better and see what others have done.

Wishing you also a very Merry Christmas fella and looking forward to seeing you in person standing next to your shiny Z at some point!

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ps. And I promise I will leave you in peace- get a catch tank with a sight tube if you can as it’s really useful to know when to empty it before it sprays ;)

Jimbob80

Forum User
Great post @AliK - I've written down a couple of those for myself!

@Jimbob80 - Firstly, I'm in south Manchester, M16 - where are you? Secondly, regarding your temperamental indicator stalk - I had the same issue. Like Ali said above - clean up all the electrical connections - but start with the battery earths. I did the one from the battery to the firewall, and the one from the battery to the starter/gearbox, and that solved my iffy indicators and a load of other electrical gremlins in one go.

It's interesting to see a RHD 260z with the US tyres and black engine bay - usually something I associate with US cars. What's the history behind this one? Has it always been a UK car?
Hiya, Im just down the road WA1.

Im pretty sure the car has always been a UK car, thats how it was advertised. Ive just sorted out car vertical so ill know later on. Im meeting the chap who owned it previous later in the week for a coffeee, so i should know more then.

We should get together after xmas for a Z meet, ill buy you a coffee :) :)

candy red

Club Member
Hi Alik,

Thats an amazing response thank you, ive refrained from joining owners clubs for a long time as ive found them somehwat toxic in the past, where literally every response is "use the search button".

I mean i get it, it must getting pretty annoying to keep repeating yourselves, but sometimes asking the question is as much about genertating a bit of rapour with the other owners as it is about actually finding out the answers.

Looking through your message, i have a list as long as your arm of things im considering, its going to my professional detaqiler tormorrow so i know where stand cosmetically, but im pretty sure its going to have a full bare metal respray in the spring.

I saw the vented discs upgrade its defo on my list, your right it does stop perfectly fine, infact ive already had to remember that it doesnt have ABS !!! as i jumped on the anchors on Saturday haha. Going to bleed all the fluids whilst im at it. But i do intend on doing a couple of track days next year so definately worth it.

I take on board Yellow Z's and your comments re the light relay. Electrics is my real weak point to be honest, as im pretty sure ive got a indicator stalk fault as well as its pretty tempermental. Ill have a search for a guide on installinglighting relays, as my plan was also to upgrade all of the bulbs / lights to LED's.

I also have no light in the clock (im assuming it does have one) and my fuel guage reads zero constantly, ive read its likely a fuel sender failure, but havent investigated yet. Ill have a search for a guide on installing

Also, plan to poly bush upgrade everything as well.

noted on the breather pipes, i did think it was strange to not have any collector cans in there.

Other issues ive identified so far are;

* Rear folding seat doesnt lock into the socket correctly and falls down under heavy braking.
* I have an 8 track and a radio, but cant get any sound, im not even sure i have any speakers (i think there may be one buried in the back somewhere.

Ive already had all the plugs out to do the gaps as it didnt run on anything like 6 cylinders when i picked it up.

-----

Finally, i saw your comment on open carbs, man that sound is something else.. I totally get it with the power etc, but thats not something im shy of with other vehicles, so im not desperate to make this the fastest it can be. If i bee decides to fly in and commit harry kari, then i just get to take the engine out and rebuild, (sounds like a fun weekend to me :) :) :) ).

Cheers for the response, im sure ill see you at an event in the new year. Merry xmas.

James
Hi and welcome you can ask as many questions on here as you like there’s alway someone with the answers ready to help car looks great happy Zedding 🤓

toopy

Club Member
Fitting relays will certainly help with the lights, and save your switch from potentially burning out because of resistance. I rewired, added relays and replaced the light units with more modern ones. Those that have the reflector used for the beam angle, not like the OEM ones where the glass does the beam angle. images below are the old light unit, the new, and lights on after conversion! I went for angel eye/halo examples, with the type of bulbs that have a blue tint when off, giving a unique look at eye level when main beam is off.

IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

status

Well-Known Forum User
What yellow Z said! It will save your stalk switch and make your lights brighter too.

I haven’t relayed mine (yet) - too many other jobs on - but I did swap in H4 led bulbs with an advertised 3000lm and wow!!! I can actually see the road at night! While a white (rather than yellow) light coming out of a classic car isn’t classic enough, for me it was a worthy sacrifice for seeing the road ahead and reducing the load on the alternator.

View attachment 60667
See the difference just in day time!

On that note, I also replaced the rear lights with LEDs for the same reason. Next will be the dash lights.

You can also replace the indicator relay with one designed for LED lights and do those too. It’s a very satisfying job and reduces the alternator load.

Nice looking car there. Those tyres do look wide. And here is another perspective: mine was SUPER heavy parking and quite hard work at other times. Then I took the front axle apart and found that my ball joints and track rod ends were nearly completely seized. Again, a super easy job and it transformed the car. But you still realise that you need to pump at the gym for the steering muscles we’ve all lost over time. You also know when you find a hole in the road as the wheel tries to escape your grip!

Some other easy jobs:

A satisfying job / mod is to install the 280zx internally regulated 70A alternator.

Swap to electronic ignition, be it 280zx dizzy or 123 Ignition (I prefer the latter for a huge lot of reasons I won’t go into here). From the photos I think you already have the 280zx dizzy there (not a points dizzy). But it does look like you still have the ballast resistor. I understand they were a regular failing point, so you may wish to consider a 1.5ohm coil and by passing the ballast resistor.

Clean up the corrosion all electrical connectors staring with the fuse box.

Poly steering rack bushes improve steering feel. Add to that poly steering coupler (not the solid ones though).

Poly drop link bushes.

But having said that I didn’t like poly ARB bushes. There was just too much noise transference for my liking for the limited benefit on handling.

Some think the OE brakes are perfectly adequate, but I like many others went for the 4 pot Hilux calipers with vented discs on the front - I just like the way the car stops now and never fades when being a hooligan on a track or otherwise.

The brake fluid looks a little more orange than fresh, so you may wish to consider a flush with fresh Dot 4.

You can see the breather on the top of the valve cover has a filter. Which also implies that the crank case breather on the block is also venting directly to the atmosphere. Given the gunk I see in my catch tank, would recommend one of those rather than venting all that crud into your engine bay.

Now then, to be slightly controversial, while I LOVE the mating call emanating from those open trumpets, they are sucking in hot air (bad for power) and small creatures / dust etc (bad for engine longevity). Some have driven decades without issues, others like me aren’t brave enough and like cool air in the intake. Another thing to consider is that you get fuel “stand-off” most at the end of those trumpets sitting over a hot manifold - which can be a fire hazard. Your call, but my personal preference would be a “club airbox” and a cone filter at the front of the rad.

Every 11°c is costing you 2% torque. So imagine how much people spend on mechanical parts to gain 5-7% more - and you can have it almost free by taking cold air from the front of the car ;)

View attachment 60666

@toopy is your man on the 2by2 260Zs and can help you with the nuances that are different compared with the 2 seaters.

I’ve written too much already, probably with loads of auto-correct typos - sorry! Hope it helps a little.
Something like this

Attachments

• 5D549D9F-8899-46D2-AEDB-4AFC4EE162E2.jpeg
    5D549D9F-8899-46D2-AEDB-4AFC4EE162E2.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 23

Ian

Club Member
Welcome to Z car ownership. My 260Z was pretty special for me even when mostly stock (Just Exhaust, rebush,) so I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did.

I run mine on 225 Semi slicks and have no problems with the steering other than at very low speeds when parking (and even then there is a nack for this) Make sure your tyre pressures are good, run them on the higher end will help, also check your tracking. I have been driving non assisted cars since I was 19 though and I'm now 35 so may just be well used to it.

Jimbob80

Forum User
Welcome to Z car ownership. My 260Z was pretty special for me even when mostly stock (Just Exhaust, rebush,) so I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did.

I run mine on 225 Semi slicks and have no problems with the steering other than at very low speeds when parking (and even then there is a nack for this) Make sure your tyre pressures are good, run them on the higher end will help, also check your tracking. I have been driving non assisted cars since I was 19 though and I'm now 35 so may just be well used to it.
Cheers Ian, it has got a little easier with some more pressure in the fronts, im not sure what im going to do in the long run wheels and tyres wise, i do like the Rays 5 spokes in a bronzy colour, like the pics below.

Attachments

• rays.jpg
    rays.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 9