NEC soup thread

Dale

Club Member
So as not to 'over moderate' and to reinstate the NEC Classic 2015 thread to 'on-topic' posts I have split the thread up into two separate ones. This thread here is for the continuation (should folk wish to) of the 'discussion' that turned the original thread into a bit of a mess.

Off you go....;)

Winking smilie to show I'm winking :D

Smiling smilie to show I'm smiling.

Last edited by a moderator:

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
That would be Richard Wardle.

Yes I had a good chat to him while I was there too. I think he is the valuations and restorations officer for the Classic Z Register. He was very helpful and seemed pleased to offer advice without belittling people who don't have the knowledge. May be joining them I think.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I think he is the valuations and restorations officer for the Classic Z Register. He was very helpful and seemed pleased to offer advice without belittling people who don't have the knowledge. May be joining them I think.

Maybe take a shot at explaining to him how and why your car is not all that much different to a 432?

Never know, he might give you a higher valuation.

;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe take a shot at explaining to him how and why your car is not all that much different to a 432?

Never know, he might give you a higher valuation.

;)

Cheap shot but one has to take a pot-shot if the target appears - you never know:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
He was very helpful and seemed pleased to offer advice without belittling people who don't have the knowledge. May be joining them I think.

That would be the same for any face to face encounter don't you think ?

Do they have an active forum - where are they based ?

Joining a club and then meeting up once per year on a show stand is not my idea of an active participation.

How regularly do you exchange with your other members Status ?

At least here Riddler, a spade is called a spade, an exchange of views was heard and your knowledge has increased considerably for it - you've come off better.:thumbs:

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
That would be the same for any face to face encounter don't you think ?

Do they have an active forum - where are they based ?

Joining a club and then meeting up once per year on a show stand is not my idea of an active participation.

How regularly do you exchange with your other members Status ?

At least here Riddler, a spade is called a spade, an exchange of views was heard and your knowledge has increased considerably for it - you've come off better.:thumbs:

That is a reasonable response, and your point fairly made.
Unfortunately, both Albrecht's and yours first responses to my comment were more in the usual snidey, sarcastic vein. These have since been removed, I guess by the administrators (and not, I hasten to add, at my request), presumably because they were deemed to be spiteful and unpleasant.
And that is EXACTLY my point. There is just no need for it.
I have never claimed to have any in-depth knowledge of the history of these cars or how they work. I just love them for what they are.
But there are many other subjects I do know a great deal about - and if I was asked to impart that knowledge I would choose to do so in a friendly, helpful way.
On this forum, too often answers are given in riddles (on the lines of 'here's the gist, work out the rest for yourself you fool'), or are dished out in a smug and arrogant way.
Sarcastic items are put up to mislead unsuspecting less-knowledgeable members who are then laughed at when they fall into the trap.
I am all for a fair exchange of views - and 95 per cent of my posts have been in a positive vein. I have only fought fire with fire on occasions because I am not prepared to allow a few bullies get away with spoiling this forum for so many others.
I would be sorry to leave the Z Club in favour of the Classic Z Register. I have travelled far and wide (in my 260Z ) to meet many members of this club and found them to be a great bunch of fellas who I have been happy to share a pint with.
I have also had questions usefully answered by members through the forum.
But my overall enjoyment has been tainted by the nasty undercurrents that run through this forum.
I can't be sure, but I imagine many members probably share my views but as always the silent majority stays silent (though I do thank those who have sent me private messages telling me they support what I say).

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Unfortunately, both Albrecht's and yours first responses to my comment were more in the usual snidey, sarcastic vein. These have since been removed, I guess by the administrators (and not, I hasten to add, at my request), presumably because they were deemed to be spiteful and unpleasant.
I have never claimed to have any in-depth knowledge of the history of these cars or how they work. I just love them for what they are.
But there are many other subjects I do know a great deal about - and if I was asked to impart that knowledge I would choose to do so in a friendly, helpful way.
On this forum, too often answers are given in riddles (on the lines of 'here's the gist, work out the rest for yourself you fool'), or are dished out in a smug and arrogant way.
Sarcastic items are put up to mislead unsuspecting less-knowledgeable members who are then laughed at when they fall into the trap.
I am all for a fair exchange of views - and 95 per cent of my posts have been in a positive vein. I have only fought fire with fire on occasions because I am not prepared to allow a few bullies get away with spoiling this forum for so many others.
I would be sorry to leave the Z Club in favour of the Classic Z Register. I have travelled far and wide (in my 260Z ) to meet many members of this club and found them to be a great bunch of fellas who I have been happy to share a pint with.
I have also had questions usefully answered by members through the forum.
But my overall enjoyment has been tainted by the nasty undercurrents that run through this forum.
I can't be sure, but I imagine many members probably share my views but as always the silent majority stays silent (though I do thank those who have sent me private messages telling me they support what I say).

RIDDLER well said and to be honest I'm glad you said it because if I had I would have been accused of over sensitivity or over moderating.

Sean and Alan you are driving people away - they tell us.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Well you are surely an educated man so I wonder what you expected by writing up an unqualified statement saying that there were few differences.....with hindsight, it might have been less provocative* (to whom those differences are important) to have ASKED

Your attitude appeared to be : I don't know anything, despite that I believe XYZ and I don't care if I'm right or wrong - I'm entitled to my personal opinion.

THAT is not inducise to an exchange of views but a confrontation and that's is what you provoked*.

What you also provoked was a very informative presentation of info and questions and then more asnwers so in all, that which you provoked was positive - no ?

We'd all like information presented how we'd like it presented (you state above how you'd present your knowledge differently) but the reality is otherwise - we're all different:).

Some would like it in a book but that isn't going to happen so it comes out piece-meal - let's not look a gift-horse in the mouth and without spinning, provoking and whatever, simply ask the right questions when relevant....

I can't see why you have to choose between one club and another - can't you be members of both ?:confused:

My comments to you were simply shocked to have made and stood behind such an erroneous statement - not intended to be sarcastic.....but probably provocative knowing me ;)

I've learnt what I know the hard way and sometimes easy but always curious and humble - if those that know sometimes are 'smug and arrogant' (a subjective opinion), what do I care if they impart that knowledge and I go away knowing more ? They've probably worked very hard to gain it over a long period of time and at no little expense - eg Skiddell or have invested an awful lot of energy, time and also money and it have become part of their life like The Count.......I'm simply grateful to have such wisdom available which one doesn't find in libraries....

Grow another deeper layer of skin and let's keep exchanging - when're you coming over to test our roads, food and wine - LMClassic in 'sunny' July ?:thumbs:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
RIDDLER well said and to be honest I'm glad you said it because if I had I would have been accused of over sensitivity or over moderating.

Sean and Alan you are driving people away - they tell us.

Who, the silent mass or those that have already left ?:confused:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Who, the silent mass or those that have already left ?:confused:

Mainly the silent mass, however I have had a PM about you in the last week from a long time member and regular poster.

Basically just 'back-off' and encourage rather than 'shout down'. You and Alan have a lot to offer but you can be over-powering especially to less knowledgeable members.

The 432 issue was completely understandable from RIDDLER's perspective. I reckon most classic enthusiasts would see a 432 as a 240Z with a twincam engine and for that matter a lot 'on here' too. Hence the surprise over the value, so educate rather that ridicule.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Great response :rolleyes:
Be less sensitive then but courtesy of Riddler's statement, we've all gained some otherwise non-disclosed info - no ?

And read the rest - the olive branch was and is offered.:)

Mainly the silent mass.
The silent mass never participates but simply uses those that do as an excuse not to !

If anyone has something seriously to say about me - they can PM, email or ring me - contact details are on my signature and it would remain between us and a solution found.

No-one has alerted a post as abusive, I don't believe my comments were personally insulting - no forum rules have been broken.

We are passionate about these cars - sometimes those passions run amok and that from both sides of this debate.
Everyone has the right to their opinions.....and when those are made public, everyone should have the right to theirs in return.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Mainly the silent mass, however I have had a PM about you in the last week from a long time member and regular poster.

Basically just 'back-off' and encourage rather than 'shout down'.

So PM me or print it Rob.

Basically, please ask questions rather than bold statemets and wait for the fireworks.

That's like putting your head in the lion's mouth and then complaining you got bitten.....:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Originally Posted by SeanDezart :

The car has little interest from a sporting or historic point of view - it's just rare and raity doesn't equate value or a following.
Been on the red again then ?

Oh look from another thread...someone's being sarcastic to me over MY personal opinion !

Poeple here have emotive feelings over the cars - gotta accept it.:eek:

C'mon guys - lighten up.:cool:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yes and you come across very differently 'face to face', Alan the same. :thumbs:

Yep, and if asked, we'd surely help/advise with whatever - always the problem with keyboards : we're invisible and even people who know us (the collective us here) become ignited by a turn of phrase or word, probably because of another event totally unrelated like a bad day etc...

I won't speak for Alan but I'm me and I'm not dressing up my words to suit others, assume the best, the most positive until proven otherwise is my philosphy for exchanging with people.....and wear a thick skin too.:thumbs:

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Everybody can further others knowledge about different things without resorting to making the person you are trying to help look a fool by being rude and sarcastic

The place is meant to be fun place to be for all but sometimes that seems to be forgotten and overlooked

Maybe everybody should refresh their memories of what the opening sentence of the Club's Rules & Procedures says
Please read this, as by making use of the Z Club forum you are acknowledging that you have read, understood and agreed to abide by the rules of this Club and accept the disclaimer at http://www.zclub.net/index.php?page=disclaimer. It is our intention that the forum is a place for fun, information and light-hearted enjoyment; this should not however come at the cost of ignoring the rights and sensibility of others. Please be helpful and respectful to other forum members.

If anyone has not read the Club's Rules and Procedures they can be found by clicking on the Z Community tag on the home page and then clicking on Rules & Procedures tag to open it

Alternatively you can follow the following link http://zclub.net/rules

datsfun

Club Member
Everybody can further others knowledge about different things without resorting to making the person you are trying to help look a fool by being rude and sarcastic

The place is meant to be fun place to be for all but sometimes that seems to be forgotten and overlooked

There is a danger in reading and applying the aforementioned statement literally...otherwise anyone who contributed to Don's mega thread has infringed the club rules surely? :confused:;):smash: