MOT history

Dale

Club Member
You can now check a vehicles MOT history on-line (it may have been up for a while but I've only just come across it), dates it has been tested and reasons it may have failed the first test.

A useful way having an additional check on a car you may be considering purchasing. You'd know to ask or check if certain repairs have been done and done satisfactorily .

https://mot-history.net/

I'd have thought so. It will only be since we've been getting those simple white print outs. I doubt it will include the fancy watermarked certificates that probably weren't recorded on computer.

Still says my cars Black. It's never been black. Plus for DVLA based info it also says it was first used in July 71, where everything else I have says Oct 72.. Love it

Mine says first used 1st January 1971. Does that mean they used it a a runaround before registering it a couple of years latter.

At least I can now tell people it's a series 1 car :)

Says mine is a 71 as well..............yay black and white plates for me

News Flash for Skiddell and probably quite a few more on here !!!

If you have a later 240Z ( or S30 if Albrecht is reading ) is a little known fact that any car in the ' historic ' tax class can now wear black and silver plates. Used to be any car first reg'd before 1st Jan 1973 but now changed in line with rolling ' tax exempt ' status.

So in other words even cars first registered in 1975 can now run on old style plates !!!! Seems odd that cars that could not legally have worn the plates when new now can - but that's our good old DVLA for you ;)

Got a link to back that up chris? I can't seem to find it written down

Here it is Tom.

Classic-style numberplates are legally allowed on vehicles built before 1 January, 1975. The news comes after the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Association (DVLA) clarified the situation.

A DVLA spokeswoman confirmed that the use of non-reflective numberplates is linked to the historic vehicle tax classification. As the classic car tax exemption is now rolling again, the age of a vehicle that can display the numberplates has changed, too.

She said, 'By law, vehicles recorded as being in the historic tax class can display the black and white or black and silver-style plates. Since April 2015, vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1975 can display the older style marks providing they have applied to DVLA and are recorded within the historic tax class.

'Vehicles that aren’t recorded in the historic tax class by DVLA should only display registration plates in the current standard.'

Previously, only vehicles built before 1 January, 1973, could display them – but that was because this was that date the historic tax classification was frozen at by the previous Government.

Link
http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/ne...tyle-numberplates-now-legal-on-pre-1975-cars/

Trying my hardest not to be an internet anorak but "DVLA spokeswoman" doesn't fill me with confidence, would be nice to see this information from the DVLA as it looks to be just hear-say unless referenced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I believe that either. I think the 1st Jan '73 date for historic taxation was chosen to match the date of the legal requirement of the reflective plates not the other way around. So even though the cut off date for taxation has changed I doubt the plate dates have changed too. Much like I doubt the date has changed for MOT requirements on the likes of seat belts, fog lights, wing indicators etc.

There's a slight sniff of assumption by this 'spokes person' in my opinion. I just can't see it.

I can't find anything official from DVLA either but no surprise there :rolleyes:
It was also mentioned in Classic Car Weekly recently so must be true ;)

I've printed sections of this thread out as proof for plod when I get pulled over because I'm sure the police are in agreement that anything said in a thread or on the internet is true.

Still, thanks for bringing this up as I will hold off ordering the plates for the imports I've just registered, until I clarify this.

I've printed sections of this thread out as proof for plod when I get pulled over because I'm sure the police are in agreement that anything said in a thread or on the internet is true.

Still, thanks for bringing this up as I will hold off ordering the plates for the imports I've just registered, until I clarify this.

Let us all know when you've made the phone call to DVLA to verify and make sure you get the ' spokeswomans ' name ;)

The actual legislation is here:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/pdfs/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

So it seems quite clear that the cut of date is 1 Jan '73 - not cars in the historic vehicle class.

Interestingly (to me) I think that INF104 doc that 8658kv linked to is wrong. The 3 digits in the current number system can't be simply random as it says; there'd be duplicates all over the place.
At best I think they can be a randomised sequence although I think they're just an ordered sequence unless you ask for one out of order. There's probably a name for that: Antonio would know!

I don't believe that plod are the slightest bit interested in what colour plates some 'sad old men in their old cars' (I mean that in a nice way) are sporting, I've done 10,000 miles in these and never had any interest from the police.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0166.jpg
    DSC_0166.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
Guys, I know something about this but haven't mentioned it until it is 'rock solid' and confirmed on the DVLA site.

I'll open up a new Thread tomorrow.

I've spoken to two number plate manufacturers about it too and they were in the dark but basically I'm told it's a DVLA cock-up that they are stuck with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back