Lightweight Trolly Jack

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi guys, any recommendations for low-entry lightweight trolley jacks. I have 3 jacks: a small one, a middle size and a big 2 tonne one with a good lift.

The small one is handy but can't lift a car.

The middle one is now leaking and old. I can't use an unsafe jack.

The large one is just too heavy for me because I have to carry it out of a side door of my garage to the drive. If I could use it in the garage it would be ok.

I'm thinking of spending about £100 but that's flexible because good tools are worth the money.

Hi guys, any recommendations for low-entry lightweight trolley jacks.

I'm thinking of spending about £100 but that's flexible because good tools are worth the money.

Machine Mart's 'Aluminium Racing Jack' range are pretty good for the money. I've been using the cheapest, lightest one (Model CTJ1250AB at 11.65kg and currently £114 inc VAT) for a good few years now without complaint. It's a handy stand-by when the 'proper' jacks in the garages are too heavy, too far away or already in use. It has a 1.25 tonne capacity but is quite small.

They do two others in the range, both of which have higher capacities (1.8 and 2.5 tonne), but are correspondingly bigger. They have better wheels than mine though.

Thanks guys. I'll look at these and do some investigation tomorrow. I weighed my jack today and it's 35kg so ideally I'm looking for something about 20kg to feel the difference.

I've got a long reach one I bought 10 years or so to use on the Mustang - and it's ideal as it goes a looooong way under the car - BUT, it weighs a ton (or feels like it). I like that one Mr Bills has linked to and for the price you can't beat it - in fact I might but one myself as a lighter alternative!

This has prompted me to order one of the sgs ones Seikoking put a link to. Also ordered one of the engine load levellers.

So I wonder why the Clark 1.8 tonne cost more than the 2.5.

Guys, I wouldn't trust the 'tonnage' rating because I have two jacks with the same rating that are completely different in performance.

These are my jacks, the middle one is now leaking so I should not use it. The big one is heaving to carry and the little one is handy for 'tasks' (like lifting a gearbox) 20200417_145831.jpg 20200417_145753.jpg 20200417_145749.jpg rather than lifting a car (i.e. a corner). The small one will certainly not lift what the big one will. I like the height the big one will lift to (I used in when working on my X Trail).

I had one very similar to the SGS aluminium for years and converted it to take a metal bracket for holding a diff or gearbox which has been handy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_142255.jpg
    IMG_20200418_142255.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200418_142343.jpg
    IMG_20200418_142343.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200418_142404.jpg
    IMG_20200418_142404.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 24
Do any of you guys change the hydraulic fluid/oil on your jacks?

I have one that i bought just after getting the Z, so 22 years old, still works just fine, every time i use it i think i really should change that oil, then put it away and forget until next time!

Back