importing a 280z from US

timskintight

New Forum User
Hi, Im seriously considering importing a 280z from the US. Has anybody done similar, have any good advice or stories to tell? I've been quoted shipping with Port fees, loading/unloading costs clear in the UK for approx £1600 I will then need carry out the neccesary modifications for mot and registration etc. Any thoughts? Thanks

Why a 280Z and do you have a specific car in mind. Whatever you import I think it's worth fully understanding the condition of the car otherwise it's a massive risk.

Does your figure include UK tax? I looked into importing a race car once and I'm sure there was a tax to pay on the car and fees.

Unless you have a specific car in mind it might be safer (but perhaps a bit more expensive) to involve William Galliers - he's imported many Zs.

Hi Rob, just that i've seen some nice examples of '77/78 280z in the US with no rust - I doubt there will be many over here. the shipping quote doesn't include tax but I'm hoping to secure BTI rating for the car.

I spotted this one in San Fransisco full of baby toys. It wasn't bad but would it be worth importing?

I've just noticed on this one that there is a 'fillit' between rear bumper and body that looks like a rear spolier :confused:

Attachments

• Tetley 231.jpg
    Tetley 231.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
I spotted this one in San Fransisco full of baby toys. It wasn't bad but would it be worth importing?

I've just noticed on this one that there is a 'fillit' between rear bumper and body that looks like a rear spolier :confused:

I think that is standard on the 280z rear bumper.

I think a probable reason why there aren't many 280s over here is they simply aren't particularly desirable from a UK point of view. They are very... American. Ugly (and heavy) federal impact bumpers, emissions control crap, softness and features geared towards cruising around on American freeways rather than roads with bends!

On the plus-side, you can get conversion brackets from ZCCJDM to allow you to put 240 bumpers on them and make them somewhat more attractive! Other tweaks could obviously be done to make them a bit more palatable in the ride/handling department from a UK perspective.

Any ideas about converting to RHD (should you be taken with that idea further down the line) might throw up some interesting difficulties too, given the lack of an equivalent model in the UK - would late 260z bits be interchangeable? I'm sure the wiring might be quite a lot different.

TBH though, if looking at importing from the US, I would be looking at pre-73 240Zs. IMO.

On the plus side they come with a vented bonnet and injected as stock :thumbs:

I think that is standard on the 280z rear bumper.

Shocking part only the yanks need :eek:

No good here unless you have an extra long garage ?
Or unless you want to turn it into a bumper car aswell lol

Hi, I think importing a car is a good idea, I nearly bought one myself. You seem to get better cars, rust free, and sometimes with only a few owners. The only reason I did not buy one was that I got out-bid a couple of times and by chance a car actually turned up on my doorstep at a good price. Like another member said you can convert the bumpers to the 240Z style and convert into right hand drive isn't that hard. As for the price, I think £1600 is expensive. You can get roll on roll off ferries from the East Coast for approx. £600, West Coast about £1000, then a couple hundred pound for unloading charges and port fees. I have imported several cars over the years, either using containers or foll on roll off ferries, and it isn't that hard. Do it yourself, don't pay for someone else's profit.

i have imported a couple of cars ,fairly straight forward to do,just make sure you get the USA logbook and the customs and excise import certificate and do not expect the car to be as good as it looks on the pictures.

I spoke with Will the other day. He's looking at getting another shipment of cars leaving USA in around 3 to 4 weeks (I think works out about 8 to 9 weeks from now arriving at his yard), so could be definitely well worth speaking to him!

involve William Galliers - he's imported many Zs.

This is the same bloke you got upset with for calling you a knob ?

Come on Rob (everyone else on the commitee) - this is getting very inconsistant. Have you discussed my other reported post yet and come up with a decision ?? I see the post is still there.

Come on Moaning Rob (zedhead260) this is the second post you have reported made by people seeking advice. I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than attempt to make work for others. Get a grip of yourself and learn to differentiate between people asking for advice and posting a wanted ad. If you want to be a mod then stick your hand up we need some volunteers to help run this forum not grind it into the dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure what to say to some of the above, although from members of a club seeking more 'paid' members you have a funny way of getting people to do so.

Don't worry, I'll see myself out and close my account so you don't have to. The guy was asking for advice, advice, and you seem to think by keeping this club exclusive you'll keep these cars on the road? Mad as hatters. I'll be happy to explain the insanity of the pseudo politics on this forum to anyone from the other classic car forums should they ask.

Mr.F can still have my business...he's not mad. No great loss for you, any of you I'm sure, but on account of the general behaviour, the classifieds saga that seems to run and run, and the old boy attitude towards anyone who dare show an interest in "their" cars, may you rust in peace.

Camerashy - being Membership Sec your comments are important to me. I agree all the politics are now getting out of hand.

I'll PM you. FYI in case you are confused 'zedhead260' is also named Rob

this is the second post you have reported made by people seeking advice.

I only reported it because a simliar post was reported and removed, and considering all the fuss from last time this is all very hypocritical.

I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than attempt to make work for others. Get a grip of yourself and learn to differentiate between people asking for advice and posting a wanted ad.

The more rules you make (the collective you that is), the more time you will need to police them, so you only have yourselves to blame.

Advice is now a much greyer area, and will no doubt be a bit of a headache from now on.

I do understand the wanted advert rule now, my last reported post on this subject was my mistake - I hadn't realise you'd changed the rules without notifying anyone (again).

If you want to be a mod then stick your hand up we need some volunteers to help run this forum not grind it into the dust.

Ha ha - and help you enforce a rule that I don't agree with - get a grip !! :lol:

Camerashy - being Membership Sec your comments are important to me. I agree all the politics are now getting out of hand.

I'm sure they are very important to you Rob.

Yet here I am, a member for the last 16 years and you don't seem to bat an eyelid.

I'm just complaining and moaning arent I with absolutley no justification whatsoever, hey I've even been accused of having an axe to grind and that there is some sort of personal vendetta going on.

Nice to see where the commitee's priorities are. :cheers:

Rob (zedhead260) if I bat an eyelid you will bat 2 and I don't want us to be batting eyelids all day.

I do care what you say probably more than you realise.

You like me have been members for a long time and can weather the storm a bit more than new members. It's a bit like garden plants, the ones that have been around a while are still appreciated and are the 'backbone' of the garden but the newly planted ones need a bit more TLC or they wont be around for long.

No I'm not turning into Alan Tichmarsh.

Back