How to sell a 240Z ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Here's the story (briefly) :

I'm getting another 240Z !

A right-hand drive 'K' reg, apparently originally imported from South Africa with very limited rust. It was bought by a French bloke (who'd coincidentally worked down there) and stored down south but not on the coast so there shouldn't be a salt problem. It's a hell of a way to Avignon and back but what the......

The project is to restore it to near-ish original condition (or better ;)) with some little changes to make it better (better brakes and exhaust, 280 dizzy, wider minilites and lower suspension).

Now, the idea is to sell it back into the UK market - I don't want to cut up a RHD shell even if I DID want another 240Z and the golden question is :

what colour to have it painted in order to sell it ?

Help !

Also, if you have any suggestions as to mods. to do or not (bearing in mind that I'd like some profit out of this so no 3.1s and turbos) and they must appeal to the clasic and a wide customer base.

This is harder to balance than any of my own projects...........

Photos to follow when I have the car in my mits - I already have the V5 !

As it stands I'd make nothing and it'd be great to empty my garage of so many nice bits ; I also have a class 'A' body and paint man who knows Zs on my door-step - Martin !

I'd love to have a buyer before starting but

a) can be a lot of hassle 'cos we start talking specifics including timescales and it aint fun if it's a chore !

and

b) they aint out there that want to pay reasonably AND be involved - people who pay just want the finished article in front of them.

Am I wrong ?:unsure:

Sean,
I would try and keep it "in period" no fancy spoilers, modern wheels, or bling..etc. These things narrow the selling band of potental customers. They can do what they want it afterwards. No colour...difficult one...

As it stands I'd make nothing...

But lose a bucket load I'd have thought. :unsure:

Do you really believe you could restore a 240 to "original condition (or better)" and break even? Are you running with a budget in mind? It'll be more! :p

It certainly seems, looking at the classifieds over the last year or two, that sellers are struggling to sell. Especially at their valuation.

I admire you though for getting another one on the road. If I was wearing a hat right now, I'd take it off. :D

Ian - I agree and it'll be a fine line between some brake upgrades and OTT and for ex new door cars against reasonable second hand ones as against a nice re-trim !

vpulsar - if that's what the market buys then so be it but that is soooo far from my personal choice it's hard to be objective !

Dale and Rob - do you know what the latest GOOD 240Zs are selling for ? I don't mean the welded up for the latest MOT stuff and other dross on ebay !

And I told you, I have one of the best (but least known Z restorer and painter) just on my doorstep.......

For info, mine is valued at £21000 but I'd still lose on it.........

Sean, you have a pm in response to your question, though as you seem to spend all your waking hours on the Forum, I suppose you've found it already !

For info, mine is valued at £21000 but I'd still lose on it.........

In the current market I doubt you'd be able to sell it for anything like that, I'd spent 60k building my pulsar over 7 years of ownership, And I couldn't even get the 15k I was willing to let it go for, I ended up breaking it and selling it off in spare parts which netted me 22k.

I know they're totally different cars but the principle still applies, I'm not saying that your car isn't worth every penny I just think for the next year or two at least good prices will be hard to achieve, Just my own personal opinion though I maybe wrong.

Rob

Sean, you have a pm in response to your question, though as you seem to spend all your waking hours on the Forum, I suppose you've found it already !

Thankyou Duncan - I've taken my time reading your exhaustive and pertinent pm and I agree with what you say although what mods. you would do to '60s woman intriques my imagination..........:thumbs:

Does one blend in the headlamp pods into the wings ?
Does one keep the front (sit-on bumper) indicators ?
Does one lose the front wing repeaters and go for JDM style indicators ,
Does one lose the plastic bonnet badge ?

And colour........what about Old English white ? It's not dark like some of those colours quoted already but is classy with black and chrome.....no ?

oh and vpulsar, sorry, I didn't mean to infer that I'd get that if I sold it - I doubt that I'd get more than £15,000 but I suspect that a clean, original-ish 240Z can get between £15-20k !

You will be lucky to get 10k,even in 2 years time,wot people ask and wot they get or dont get is totally different,there are some nice zeds for sale,still,people think they are worth more than they really are,thats the real world

Hi,
I don't think white will appeal to a very wide market?....Perhaps something like silver would be better?
As to value, the general public will still think it's just an old Datsun!

Hi,
I don't think white will appeal to a very wide market?....Perhaps something like silver would be better?
As to value, the general public will still think it's just an old Datsun!

Arrgh - you think so ? Oh god, I've a 'grey' feeling coming on.........:(

But I'm not aiming at 'the general public' !

Not the general public have already bought Zs expensively and not the general public have spent thousands on them as E.A. rallye cars and yet more not he general public have spent thousands again on track-day cars that we never see or hear about !

Know your market and know where to advertise or through whom to sell but above all, get the product right and if you're in it for some profit, spend money where you must and don't where you don't have too !
Avoid the trap of doing 'what I'd like to have in a Z' !

Keep the comments coming because this is constructive - thanks so far !

sean. my white 240 sold this year within ten days of advertising for strong money.

it got loads of interest at the time.

i'm thinking of a off white/ivory for my restoration.

i saw a lovely e type jag at the auction today in primrose yellow.

what a lovely colour! would consider it but worried i'd upset someone over the border. ;)

Well, you're a help ! White (or at least clear) or not ?

The nice thing about Jag. Primrose yellow is that mine's faster than any Jag wearing it !

sean.
i'm sure everyone on this site is well aware you have very nice and very quick car.

but change the record buddy. ;)

Alright - it's not primrose yellow....but I still hate Jags and Porkers !

Back to the thread :

silly badges and indicators or not ?

Colour most attractive to buyers ?

ok.

white. classic colour. classic car. so good colour.

badge and sit on indicators not cool but more sellable with them on.

repeaters jdm style? please explain.

Back