Front indicators

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Been thinking I might like to replace the front indicator lights on my 260Z, as they are starting to look a little shabby. They are the ones mounted on the underside of the front bumper.

Mr Feeney tells me they are no longer available, and with his vast knowledge I expect this is the case.

However, just thought I would pose the question does anybody else know if they are available anywhere? The ones I have are not too bad, so there would be no point in replacing them unless I was replacing them with new ones.

Would welcome any thoughts on this.

Tim Jewitt

Well-Known Forum User
If it's just general discolouration / fading of the lenses it is surprising how well some of those plastic lens polishing kits can work.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Riddler, is talking about the bumper mounted indicators - which actually should be mounted above the bumper not below.

Droids - ? Me too Nigel.

atomman

Club Member
I have always wondered why they fitted those square ones on UK cars and the rest of the world had the nicer type?

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I have always wondered why they fitted those square ones on UK cars and the rest of the world had the nicer type?

regulations relating to the height of the indicator i think, though you can get away with it these days

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Riddler,
If you mean the OEM, UK, front indicators, I am pretty sure these were a type specific only to our UK cars. These came about as when the first S30'S were brought into the UK, with below corner indicators(?) these fell below the regulation height. Nissan then quickly "made" something to get past the failing.
These are made of Zamak, a mixture of alu. and zinc, and corrode quite easily, and seem to a pain to restore, have a search on here, I said something on these not long ago.

Does that help?

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for your replies.

Here is a picture of my indicator.

Droids left me baffled too . . . .

Attachments

• P5060497.JPG
    P5060497.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 72

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Ugly things best chucked in the bin imo

I like them when they are mounted above the bumper but must admit they look awful mounted underneath. The ones that fit in the valance looked so so strange when the 1st US imports started arriving in the UK but I like them now. Same with rear spoilers I thought they looked very odd without one but now don't look so strange, still prefer the spoiler myself though.

Stockdale

Club Member
I bought my first 260z (new) in 1974 and the indicators were hung beneath the front bumper at delivery. I was aware at the time that 240z's at the time were mounted above the bumper which I always though looked pretty ugly. I am about to remove the American style corner valance indicators (really just to be correct on an otherwise 'almost' totally original car and to put back a pretty good pair of 'original' indicators which I will mount beneath the bumper.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I bought my first 260z (new) in 1974 and the indicators were hung beneath the front bumper at delivery. I was aware at the time that 240z's at the time were mounted above the bumper which I always though looked pretty ugly. I am about to remove the American style corner valance indicators (really just to be correct on an otherwise 'almost' totally original car and to put back a pretty good pair of 'original' indicators which I will mount beneath the bumper.

Well at least my car is correct then! Thanks for that.

Stockdale

Club Member
Interestingly (or perhaps not so!) it was fitted with an 8-track cassette player but (like most cars of the time) didn't have wing or door mirrors. For some years during the 70's most z's had a single 'retro-fit' mirror on the drivers door. The majority had aftermarket 'woolfrace' slots fitted. Even here in the uk the pressed steel (shield cap) wheels were considered awful. Of course the seat belts were non-retractable. The heated rear window was though very modern and five gears were cool (sorry, 'cool wasn't a word back then!). I suppose it would be 'awesome' now!. I remember not seeing many Z's without rust streaking from the side indicators and also the valance jointing even then. The 'bins' behind the rear wheels frequently filled with water and a 'sloshing' sound was common in a corner.
Growing old in not good (sorry cool) (sorry awsome!!)