DaZ engine refresh

Paul Atkinson

Club Member
Been working on DaZ engine refresh today. Just carbs and a few little bits to add to finish. Is the sump a bit too bling?

Attachments

• IMG_20240110_130108.jpg
    IMG_20240110_130108.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20240110_135634.jpg
    IMG_20240110_135634.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20240110_130222.jpg
    IMG_20240110_130222.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 69

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
It looks really lovely.

One tiny word of caution - I found zinc plated stuff without a thin layer of clear coat all of a sudden goes off. Parts I replated when engine was built which I didn’t clear coat have started to go but things like the water pump pulley etc look as good as the day they came back from the platers. IIRC @richiep had a similar experience with plating going off after a few years.

Last edited:

Robotsan

Club Member
It looks really lovely.

One tiny word of caution - I found zinc plated stuff without a thin layer of clear coat all of a sudden goes off. Parts I replayed when engine was built which I didn’t clear coat have started to go but things like the water pump pulley etc look as good as the day they came back from the players. IIRC @richiep had a similar experience with playing going off after a few years.

Don't hate the players, hate the game 😎

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Don't hate the players, hate the game 😎
It seems that the latest iOS upgrade has turned up the volume on autocorrect!! I am prone to typos but post upgrade, the keyboard does WAY more thinking for me than I would like!!!

In fact while typing this post it changed the word upgrade above to updraft- WHY WHY WHY!?!?

richiep

Club Member
It looks really lovely.

One tiny word of caution - I found zinc plated stuff without a thin layer of clear coat all of a sudden goes off. Parts I replated when engine was built which I didn’t clear coat have started to go but things like the water pump pulley etc look as good as the day they came back from the platers. IIRC @richiep had a similar experience with plating going off after a few years.
Zinc plating will always start to go off and tarnish, particularly if it comes into contact with condensation. Some of the stuff I had replated for the project car is now looking dull after 3-4 years of storage.

Clear coat could be one solution, or wipe it over regularly with WD40. Another solution is something like Dinitrol 4010 - which is their high heat clear wax. Brushed over plated hardware it is largely invisible and is designed for engines, etc. A lot of the zinc plated hardware in the engine bay of my red Z is in fact coated with it, not that you'd ever know.

On the red Z though, I lot of the engine bay parts that were yellow zinc from the factory are chrome plated - a cosmetic theme I decided to go with on that car. The added benefit being the chrome is way more durable than yellow zinc. For Project Dixie however, I've gone very OEM with the plating, so a lot more yellow and clear/silver zinc to protect... (despite all the mods to that car, I've found myself being very originality-focused about other things - the specific bolts in the correct places, etc.)

Robotsan

Club Member
Zinc plating will always start to go off and tarnish, particularly if it comes into contact with condensation. Some of the stuff I had replated for the project car is now looking dull after 3-4 years of storage.

Clear coat could be one solution, or wipe it over regularly with WD40. Another solution is something like Dinitrol 4010 - which is their high heat clear wax. Brushed over plated hardware it is largely invisible and is designed for engines, etc. A lot of the zinc plated hardware in the engine bay of my red Z is in fact coated with it, not that you'd ever know.

On the red Z though, I lot of the engine bay parts that were yellow zinc from the factory are chrome plated - a cosmetic theme I decided to go with on that car. The added benefit being the chrome is way more durable than yellow zinc. For Project Dixie however, I've gone very OEM with the plating, so a lot more yellow and clear/silver zinc to protect... (despite all the mods to that car, I've found myself being very originality-focused about other things - the specific bolts in the correct places, etc.)

Where do you get stuff chrome plated Richie? And how does the cost compare to zinc?

Robotsan

Club Member
It seems that the latest iOS upgrade has turned up the volume on autocorrect!! I am prone to typos but post upgrade, the keyboard does WAY more thinking for me than I would like!!!

In fact while typing this post it changed the word upgrade above to updraft- WHY WHY WHY!?!?

Haha I thought it would be phone related! On Android you can tell it to stop predicting/changing certain words, maybe you can on iphones too?

richiep

Club Member
Where do you get stuff chrome plated Richie? And how does the cost compare to zinc?
I get stuff done at Niphos Metal Finishing in Crewe nowadays, but all the plating on the red Fairlady Z was done 15+ years ago by a guy in Manchester- long out of business/retired now.

Chrome is a lot more expensive than zinc. Example - getting Niphos to rechrome just the centre bar of an S30Z rear bumper is well over £400 now - more than it costs to get a complete new reproduction bumper from Vietnam.

Robotsan

Club Member
I get stuff done at Niphos Metal Finishing in Crewe nowadays, but all the plating on the red Fairlady Z was done 15+ years ago by a guy in Manchester- long out of business/retired now.

Chrome is a lot more expensive than zinc. Example - getting Niphos to rechrome just the centre bar of an S30Z rear bumper is well over £400 now - more than it costs to get a complete new reproduction bumper from Vietnam.

Jesus christ. F-that then! I'll stick to zinc :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

On my phone I have disabled predictive text - I was sending shite. Some people say I still do! :(