Damp garage

Banshee_240Z

Club Member
I'm worried about rust though after noticing that some of my tools in the garage have started to rust just on their own!

Other than being vigilant with WD40 is there a method for preventing this? Maybe a bunch of the bathroom dehumidifiers? I will be epoxy-coating the floors once it warms up a bit, I've read that this can help with moisture (But that could just be good marketing).

I was prepared for dealing with rain and salted roads but I thought the garage was safe. Maybe I got spoiled in California 😂

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotsan

Club Member
Well I couldn't bring myself to sell it or store it forever! 😂 I am worried about rust though after noticing that some of my tools in the garage have started to rust just on their own!

Other than being vigilant with WD40 is there a method for preventing this? Maybe a bunch of the bathroom dehumidifiers? I will be epoxy-coating the floors once it warms up a bit, I've read that this can help with moisture (But that could just be good marketing).

I was prepared for dealing with rain and salted roads but I thought the garage was safe. Maybe I got spoiled in California 😂

Yeah, welcome to the UK 😂 You were definitely spoilt in California. I once polished the metal ignition plate thing where the key goes in, gave it a few coats of (1k) clear coat, and it flash rusted over the next week!

I also have damp issues in my garage, and will need to do something about it at some point. I have only done a little research, and I'm hoping others on here can chime in, but there appears to be 2 schools of thought ..

#1 - seal it up, get it airtight, and use a dehumidifier. Probably a dessicant type, because the condenser types basically stop working once the temp is below 15 degrees centigrade. But even then, its better if you can keep it heated to an extent as its the heating up and cooling that causes condensation.

#2 - get air flowing through it, which apparently prevents it getting too damp. So I'm guessing a couple of in the walls fans - one bringing air in at one end and one pushing it out at the other? Not sure how this compares to option #1 though!

Banshee_240Z

Club Member
Sealing it would probably be the easiest, since it's a single garage with just the garage door (No other doors or windows). I was planning to paint the inside too (Brick and cinderblock). I wonder if epoxy floors, painted walls, and a dehumidifier would be enough...

Or maybe the no doors or windows is the issue and I do need something to help with airflow. I think it will take a bit of trial and error.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
I wonder if I could fit one in my single garage 🤔
Come in different shapes and sizes, probably a bad idea with bare metal like yours is at the moment, but once you're done and got a few layers (primer if left a while will take in moisture)

Robotsan

Club Member
Come in different shapes and sizes, probably a bad idea with bare metal like yours is at the moment, but once you're done and got a few layers (primer if left a while will take in moisture)

A bad idea to put it in a carcoon while its bare metal? I mean, I wasn't thinking of getting one until the car has been painted, but if I was, wouldn't that protect bare metal better?

Mine only stays with primer on a couple of days.. epoxy will go on pretty quick after the Electrox primer.

MCBladeRun

Club Member
A bad idea to put it in a carcoon while its bare metal? I mean, I wasn't thinking of getting one until the car has been painted, but if I was, wouldn't that protect bare metal better?

Mine only stays with primer on a couple of days.. epoxy will go on pretty quick after the Electrox primer.
Yeah, I didn't want to put on the forum "bare metal in a carcoon is a good idea". I would have thought bare metal left unattended is the worst, followed by primer.

Someone else can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong ofc.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
They just circulate air, it's not dehumidified so won't prevent flash rust from forming etc.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I guess the follow up question there is, how well sealed is your garage?

Personally, I have one car in an outdoor carcoon and another one under a dust cover inside a reasonably well sealed garage with no dehumidifier. They both seem to be doing ok.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I guess the follow up question there is, how well sealed is your garage?

Personally, I have one car in an outdoor carcoon and another one under a dust cover inside a reasonably well sealed garage with no dehumidifier. They both seem to be doing ok.
Is a sealed garage a good idea. Isn't it better to have ventilation?

toopy

Club Member
I think properly sealed is ok as long as there is absolutely no chance of any damp, and the temp never drops below 10 degrees C, so heated basically. Draughty as in the usual type garage door with small gaps here and there, especially the bottom, and your better off having vents elsewhere to allow air movement, which is an absolute must if the temp inside can hit zero or close to it!

candy red

Club Member
I’ve got a sealed garage,brick outer skin 30 mm celotex insulation in cavity block inner skin slate roof with a breathable membrane and an insulated garage door concrete floor with a damp proof membrane built by myself.I don’t have any problems with things going rusty I’ve got sheets of bare metal been in there for at least 4years and no signs of rust on them 😎🤓

uk66fastback

Club Member
Keep the damp out at all costs. You don’t need a carcoon if you do that imo. Just a thin cover to keep the dust off …

Robotsan

Club Member

That's what I asked earlier in the thread as I'd heard the same.

I think properly sealed is ok as long as there is absolutely no chance of any damp, and the temp never drops below 10 degrees C, so heated basically. Draughty as in the usual type garage door with small gaps here and there, especially the bottom, and your better off having vents elsewhere to allow air movement, which is an absolute must if the temp inside can hit zero or close to it!

I have a single garage built in the 80s I think. Think it's a single course of bricks with a layer of insulation which is then covered with a layer of plasterboard and the ceiling is the same but with wood. Then I've got a draughty garage door and a thin wood door at the other end which is pretty well sealed.

So would I be best off installing a fan at each end to get the air flowing through it?

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Sealing it would probably be the easiest, since it's a single garage with just the garage door (No other doors or windows). I was planning to paint the inside too (Brick and cinderblock). I wonder if epoxy floors, painted walls, and a dehumidifier would be enough...

Or maybe the no doors or windows is the issue and I do need something to help with airflow. I think it will take a bit of trial and error.
I painted my walls, installed a radiator (as my boiler is in the garage), expoxy resined the floor, added a plaster board ceiling and drill vent holes through a number of the bricks.
My garage doesn’t fall much below 11 degrees now. Ive there was a large change in temp forecast I’d turn on the dehumidifier. I’ve therefore no need for a carcoon…. Thank god as I’ve spent all my dosh on the above 😬

Robotsan

Club Member
I painted my walls, installed a radiator (as my boiler is in the garage), expoxy resined the floor, added a plaster board ceiling and drill vent holes through a number of the bricks.
My garage doesn’t fall much below 11 degrees now. Ive there was a large change in temp forecast I’d turn on the dehumidifier. I’ve therefore no need for a carcoon…. Thank god as I’ve spent all my dosh on the above 😬

I was thinking about the floors, as I've got a lumpy concrete floor at the moment and I'm assuming that's not good for temperatures. Is putting epoxy resin down like using self levelling compound? I imagine my garage only stays a few degrees above the outside temp.