Buy parts from USA

Fairlineguy

Club Member
My shopping list of new parts is growing . It's going to be a big order .full interior,rubber,brakes,suspension ,bumpers etc etc
So looks like I will be placing a order with one of the USA parts suppliers.
Would be interested in comments on shipping methods ,best supplier,discounts,duty.
Good/bad

might be worth having a word with MJP first as the dollar is quite high as heavy items will be expensive to ship

I bought a lot of parts from the states from 1 supplier and had nothing but problems. Spent a lot of money on webers and was sent cheap Chinese copies ( despite being advertised as genuine). There were parts missing from my order, it got held up in customs, I paid almost £500 postage and got hammered for vat and import duties. Not a good experience. PM me and I will let you know who NOT to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

webercarbsdirect? Why not name and shame?

But to be fair, parts getting held up in customs and having to pay VAT and duty isn't anything to do with whether the supplier is trustworthy or not :confused:

Agree .... Missing parts and fake goods down to supplier, but the hassle and cost of postage is something I underestimated and have since bought my parts from MJP .

Agree .... Missing parts and fake goods down to supplier, but the hassle and cost of postage is something I underestimated

Surely the postage was quoted before paying ? That leaves just the VAT which if you're lucky you avoid.....

I'm a big advocate of paying taxes to keep the lights on and the NHS going etc ... but this is pure protectionist thievery, not to mention the fact that the admin fee was once more than the duties!!

Some guidelines here ...

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/overview

Though as Sean says, sometimes I get lucky! Neve worked out quite why some things get through and others of very low value don't.

Think the Revenue & Customs have tightened up. Bought hundreds of pounds worth from the states a few years ago. Only ever paid vat and import duty once.

Surely the postage was quoted before paying ? That leaves just the VAT which if you're lucky you avoid.....

Yes postage was quoted but it was a lot more than I anticipated then there's vat AND import duty paid on the full amount including the postage .......
£2756 parts including postage + 3.5% duty £96, vat £571, admin fee £14 ..... So roughly £2500 worth of parts cost me £700 + shipping to get here. Please don't try and pick my figures apart I'm just trying to make people aware of ALL of the costs involved........

I've bought parts form the Z Store and had them shipped over. I have them delivered to a friend in the U.S, who sends them on. Even after paying to have the order sent to him, this works out cheaper because he has the time to compare shipping charges (USPS is often the cheapest) and he sometimes splits the batch of parts to exploit weight breaks in the shipping charges.
Last big thing I bought was a set of seat covers which worked out about £50 cheaper than buying them here.

Please don't try and pick my figures apart I'm just trying to make people aware of ALL of the costs involved........

No mate - not here to be picky :cool:- just trying to have it clear for the many newbies now buying Zs and as these cars get older, so more needs replacing.

MSAs' shipping costs are notoriously high.

Not here to be pick,almost every thread has some one being picky or picking faults with cars advertised,get yer bits from Mike at Mjp,save herself a load of hassle

Never worked out quite why some things get through and others of very low value don't.

I ordered some clear front indicator lenses recently as well as few other things, spent approx £250 squid and got hit for IIRC £43 import taxes!

There was a sticker on the box explaining the extra costs and if i read it right, anything under £35
in value is likely to be free of duties, over that obviously you pay:(

MJP is the best place to start.

I would also not recommend Bongo for shipping, if anything goes wrong they are difficult to contact. I did finally get it resolved, but was not straight forward.

You can email Parcel Force/post office and contest the charges and they usually refund them, I have done this on several smaller items over the years,

Sometimes you get stung sometimes you don't, "you pays your money and you takes your chance"

I brought some some bits last Friday morning from California and they were delivered Monday morning in Swansea with no VAT/Duty or charges to my door,

If you don't want to risk getting charged use MJP

Back