Black 240Z known ? £23K

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C813094

This is an original UK RHD and not a conversion.The bodywork is all metal and looks superb without any flaws in the bodywork.The engine is a very strong unit with perfect oil pressure and benefits from a ported cylinder head,a stage 2,274 camshaft and electronic ignition to ensure turn key reliability for daily use.The gearbox is the original 5 speed with new gear lever bushing to ensure a tight,crisp gearchange and no sloppy feel.The diff has no whines an.......the performance exhaust has a delightful note and was essential to compliment the tuning.

The interior is original and has a nice patina with an inch long tear at the back of the passenger seat.The headlining is superb and taut with the original door pads looking tired after 43 years.The dashboard is mint without any cracks and all gauges including the Jeco clock operate as intended.

The deleting of the front wing indicators was by fabricating metal in place and not filler.To summarise the car drives without any faults and looks superb. It comes with an MOT and has just come back from a trip to Goodwood! These cars are rising in value all the time and we have seen perfect examples for £40k plus, they are starting to be valued for the great practical sports car they are.

What!

The interior is original and has a nice patina with an inch long tear at the back of the passenger seat.

I know I'm resurrecting a topic that's been discussed quite a bit on here, but...!

Even my untrained eye can tell it's not for the purist and that the advert isn't telling the whole truth. It's also a real concern that it appears to have either changed hands a lot recently, or just not sold in months.

However... has anyone first hand experience of the car? Is it mechanically unsound, or riddled with tin worm?

I have to admit (probably to my shame!) that I quite like the look of it in the photos :blush:

OK, to part answer my own question I've done a little digging and the last few MOTs show that it failed in 2013 because of corrosion around the rear suspension mount (and an advisory for rust on the rear wheel arches). Then in 2014 it failed because of corrosion around the seat belt anchor points. Since then it passed OK though.

One weird thing though, the advert says the car is a 1973 car but the MOT history says it was first registered in 1971. I guess errors like this are not unheard of, but are they common?

I presume you mean the Dvla mot check website and its funny you should mention that ,as they do get it wrong as the mot history for my metro is not correct and inconsistent.

Yes that's where I was looking (I should have mentioned that!)

I sometimes find myself checking the MOT history of my neighbours cars. One has a beaten up old Mitsubishi Evo which has had an alarming number of faults. What's even more alarming is that some seem to have mysteriously fixed themselves for one year then reappeared the next!

It's a bad habit looking really, I should try and give it up!

If you go back to the earliest discussions of this car, it first got on our radars because it was for sale super cheap 3-4 years ago (like 4K-ish?). It was mega-rotten. Black is not a flattering colour and thus, in its current incarnation, the lines suggest plenty of filler and the likelihood of a rude financial and practical awakening for its next owner, should that person want to get the car right. The criticisms, at their core, have got nothing to do with cosmetic purism but the likely basic state of part #1 - the shell - under that paint.

You look like you're developing a fixation with it Paul! Disengage the heart and engage critical brain! :smash: :D

Basic reality - it's overpriced for the risk involved. Hence it's still for sale.

Wot Richiep says makes sense,be patient and one will come along,don't go by pictures,even Sean defart looks half decent in a picture,when one comes along you have to be quick and be prepared to travel,I just came back from Scotland after another Z purchase

Wot Richiep says makes sense,be patient and one will come along,don't go by pictures,even Sean defart looks half decent in a picture,when one comes along you have to be quick and be prepared to travel,I just came back from Scotland after another Z purchase

Blimey - going abroad to get a Z - very brave of you - do they speak the same language and use the same currency still ?

They drive on the same side of the road as us ,the beer is good ,they still can't play football,I remember Gary Sprake,the scenery is second to none and overall the jocks are a great crack

They drive on the same side of the road as us ,the beer is good ,they still can't play football,I remember Gary Sprake,the scenery is second to none and overall the jocks are a great crack

Completely agree. Apart from the beer bit. What good beer comes from Scotland?

What did you buy? Spill the beans! :D

Well,I was told that Budweiser originally comes from Czechoslovakia,but I was wrong on two occasions last year so this could be the first this year

Back