370Z 1st service - 9k miles since October

Paul_S

Club Member
How soon it comes round! I took the car in for it's first service on Saturday.

As I pulled into the garage the mileage turned to 8998 so I thought that was close enough to 9k :)

I did an oil change myself at 3,000 miles but left the Motul in for the remaining 6k.

I can give KAP in Ashford a big thumbs up for the work. The P1 was £180 but since I supplied the oil and filter (courtesy of Opie Oils) it was only £120 inclusive :thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well I find 'Servicing' a complete rip-off. I have bought three new vehicles in the past two motorbikes and a VW Golf. I had them serviced purely for warranty reasons.

Paul, what did they do that impressed you for £120 - there's nothing to do is there apart from inspect things and change the oil/filter? From my experience if people are treated with respect by the dealer and the car is cleaned and brought to the door they think the servicing is good.

At VW I was paying £60/hour for someone to check my windscreen fluid, grease door hinges, check tyre pressure etc etc. The only value was the stamp in the book and that's sad.

Arkwright

Inactive
I am in agreement with you Rob, I think the cost of 'servicing' is a rip off. I based my previous comment on posts I have seen about charges for the 350Z which I have found quite expensive and frankly not worth the supposed value of the stamp in the book.

IIRC the P1 service on my 350Z would have cost £230 + VAT at my local nissan garage. This for a spotty erk to change the oil and filter and kick the tyres. Plus the whole day without the car and having to drop off and collect at THEIR convenience.

And of course nissan hold over you the deciding factor: if you make a warranty claim they wont honour it if you can't prove the service record.

Paul_S

Club Member
I completely understand where you are coming from.

The thing is, if I didn't keep the service history up then it could potentially void my warranty. I do my own intermediate oil changes but also reckon it's important to get those ticks in the boxes on the service card. I am not planning on selling up for a long while but if I did people would just walk away or offer me stupid money for the car.

As it turns out my local dealer is only a 15min walk away and considering what other garages charge I think it's a good deal :)

Paul_S

Club Member
Service due?

Turn up at Nissan workshop, drop pants, bend over......... get shafted.

Job done
:rofl:

Not true haven spoken to some work colleagues who have literally paid £100's more servicing standard Toyota and Volvo 'family' cars.

Even my wife's Fiesta is only about £20 cheaper to service.

Servicing in general = expensive
Servicing by Nissan (in my experience) = cheaper than most

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
I agree with the previous statement but with his new 370Z, surely he'd be a mug not to get it to Nissan to service it. When you're buying a car, a full dealer service history (with all the stamps) is always going to be more valuable. Would I take my '72 Z to nissan to service it? No. Not in this lifetime. You pay for the stamp, for my car it's far too late for the stamp haha.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Fair one! A lot of mechanics these days don't have a clue when it comes to older mechanics. They plug your car in to a laptop, then 'replace' bits! Sad really.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The law here now states that :

without voiding a warranty, an owner may have his car serviced at any professional garage providing that original manufacturers' parts are used.

For once (and only once) France takes the lead against monopolies !