260Z on eBay

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Looks tidy, shame they didn't take any more pictures prior to the primer being put on - whats been done underneath?

Also, hate all the edited and filtered images. Knowing what I sold my LHD 240Z for I believe this is actually overpriced but I was a private seller so trade should expect more.

Dan

Mark N

Club Member
I quite like the grey/bronze colour combination.
The only thing I'm not that keen on, apart from the black bay, is the half smoothed rear end.
IMO it would look better with a rear bumper.

richiep

Club Member
I quite like the grey/bronze colour combination.
The only thing I'm not that keen on, apart from the black bay, is the half smoothed rear end.
IMO it would look better with a rear bumper.
This. The rear looks stuck in the middle so to speak, i.e. if you are going to smooth it, don't leave the federal shock mount holes or the recesses in the lower rear quarters. The problem here is that if someone wanted to put a bumper on, the mounting holes have been blanked. Either way means reworking it/repainting to have a properly executed rear end IMO. And another matt black muscle car-style engine bay. Grrr!

Otherwise, looks good. Grey and bronze looks stylish.

atomman

Club Member
I'm the same about the black engine bay , why bare metal the body (apparently) and paint the body and bay a different colour ? did they take the engine out ?
Poor fitted rear vinyl ,half a rear carpet trim ? , rusty brake master cylinder caps , no front spoiler but a rear ? shocking looking rear exhaust that sticks out past a bumper that's not there and rear valance that looks half finished , just stick some webers on but no cam ?

All my opinion of course :) .........but if you want to get good money for these cars it wouldn't of taken much to get this looking a bit more finished

I do like the grey colour and the clear font indicators though :thumbs:

richiep

Club Member
Basically, there are aspects that have not been thought out well enough to give a properly cohesive final product that ticks all the desirability boxes for a Z heading into that price territory. I just think, even when not going for a standard car, choices need to be considered and complementary to result in a car - especially if aiming to sell - that doesn’t lead to buyers/watchers going “yeah, but...” like we are. Or those “bits” need to be easily rectifiable to taste without four figure bills on bodywork and paint choices!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think the rear is ok except for the federal bumper holes.

Nice car but never mind the detail it's LHD and 4 speed.

I know folks say it doesn't matter but would you put a 4 speed gearbox in your car and convert to drive on the left?

richiep

Club Member
I think the rear is ok except for the federal bumper holes.

Nice car but never mind the detail it's LHD and 4 speed.

I know folks say it doesn't matter but would you put a 4 speed gearbox in your car and convert to drive on the left?

I'd include those items you mention Rob within the same context as my cosmetic observations, i.e. the "concept" of the car as a realised product/project reflects some strange choices or corners cut (money saved) that could affect its desirability. Triples on a standard-ish engine? 4-speed? And yet BC Racing coilovers? Blacked out door handles but standard polished window trim? It's half a restomod basically that needs its obvious promise delivering on with more work.

JK240

Club Member
I'd include those items you mention Rob within the same context as my cosmetic observations, i.e. the "concept" of the car as a realised product/project reflects some strange choices or corners cut (money saved) that could affect its desirability. Triples on a standard-ish engine? 4-speed? And yet BC Racing coilovers? Blacked out door handles but standard polished window trim? It's half a restomod basically that needs its obvious promise delivering on with more work.
I thought the same Rich, why go to the trouble of triples, racing coilovers, exhaust, polybush, etc and not do an S14 gearbox at the same time..?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I thought the same Rich, why go to the trouble of triples, racing coilovers, exhaust, polybush, etc and not do an S14 gearbox at the same time..?

I assume it's all about looks and selling. The car looks smart and low on it's coilovers and triples are a selling point. Perhaps it had flat-top carbs?

They are selling this mini too - similar theme. It looks sporty but it will be desperately slow.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1963-Mor...819353?hash=item2f32ec71d9:g:NXMAAOSw8aBdEf7u

richiep

Club Member
I agree Rob - it's about looks and selling. I'd suggest though that the sale-ability is potentially adversely affected by the degree to which some of the selling points are not backed up with complementary, well thought out changes. Triples are a nice addition but wasted potential without engine mods. 4-speed and I assume US lazy diff versus a 5-speed and something more peppy ratio. The car needs further development to match its good looks. And that needs to be factored in to value. If building a car to sell, one needs to do one's homework to avoid those "buts" that I mentioned.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I assume it's all about looks and selling.

Yep, agreed - car restored for profit and priced to sell....but LHD within the UK ? The rusty fluid covers let it down....

However, I like the overall effect, I like that it's not a 240Z and that it hasn't got the (almost) inevitable ZG arches.

toopy

Club Member
Is that a plastic fusible link cover i can see on the bulk head? and if it is, is that normal for a US 260z?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Shame about some of the dodgy bits in the engine bay - coil etc. How anyone can out some of that nice trick suspension on, be doing the nuts u p and not 'think' about the rusty tops to the master cylinder is beyond me!

richiep

Club Member
Yep, agreed - car restored for profit and priced to sell....but LHD within the UK ? The rusty fluid covers let it down....

However, I like the overall effect, I like that it's not a 240Z and that it hasn't got the (almost) inevitable ZG arches.
It’s not priced to sell though - maybe over there, but not here. As I’ve said, variable attention to detail and half-execution leads to questions and likely further spending.

JK240

Club Member
It’s not priced to sell though - maybe over there, but not here. As I’ve said, variable attention to detail and half-execution leads to questions and likely further spending.
Maybe not Richie, but marked as sold already....

richiep

Club Member
Fair enough. I actually think its really nice (love the grey and bronze combo); I just question some of the choices made in the build - cosmetic and other choices that are, for me personally, incongruous and could have been better thought through for cohesiveness. They whiff of convenience/taking the easy route rather than dotting all "t"s, crossing "i"s etc., which should be expected at that price point.