Nissan/Nismo R200 LSD

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
I've got the part number for the factory installed (but never sent to the UK :mad: ) Z31 CLSD:

38420-7101

&

The part number for the Nismo Z31 CLSD:

M-38420-RS660

I've been told by Nissan West London that these parts don't exist but that just means they're not on the Nissan UK EPC. I'm going to break some balls to get prices on these parts.
If anybody else would be interested in ordering either of these diff's let me know as I might have more success with a multiple order.

Wont be cheap though!

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
I have several R200 NISMO LSD's of various ratios (3.1, 3.9.4.3, 4.6 and 4.8) but have also looked at the following although not yet bought :

http://www.quaife.co.uk/products/atbdifferentials.htm

The quaife units fit into the R200 housing and are allegedly exceptionally good, maybe even better than the NISMO ones because they are much newer technology.

I had a quote of £575 for a Quaife R200 ATB LSD only a few weeks ago. Just a thought, may be worth you looking at ?

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
How come you have so many R200s?

Forgive my ignorance... aren't the Quaife units Viscous LSDs?

I'm not too clever with diff internals. :conf2:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Quaife differentials are torque biasing rather than viscous or plate -- allowing progressive biasing under inconsistant traction conditions

I have just had one fitted into a R200 and although its early days the signs are very very positive

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
ZHead said:
The quaife units fit into the R200 housing and are allegedly exceptionally good, maybe even better than the NISMO ones because they are much newer technology.

Not necessarily newer, just a different technology that achieves a limited slip effect by a geared means rather than friction or fluid. Generally Quaife have got a highly regarded reputation because they're so expensive = must be good ;) There's pros and cons for each of the 3 basic LSD types and sometimes it just comes down to a personal preference/driving style.

BTW a certain other V8 aficionado is hooked up with a Quaife, I'm a cheap skate and have gone for Nissans Helocal diff from the S15 Silvia. Course it'll cost me more in the long run due to none standard output shafts - hurrah!

All good fun though :D

Cheers,
Rob

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I've gone for the cheapie NISMO R200 option £800, straight from Japan - if I follow the price logic, it ought to be doggies danglies !

I think Rob summed it up - it's down to personal preference and the mans' diff is the NISMO one :) !

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Indeed Stephanie. Real men like to get themselves covered in foul smelling diff oil while they battle with unhelpful bits of shim metal in an attempt to get a diff set up to 'their' liking. Big girls blouses like us just stick in a diff that does everything automatically.

Cheers,
Roberta
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
I've gone for the cheapie NISMO R200 option £800, straight from Japan

"Straight" from Japan, Sean? Are you sure it didn't come via Bloomsbury.......?

All this talk about what LSD system is 'better' is nonsense. 'Better' for what? I notice too that there's never any mention of breakaway torque settings or fine tuning of ramp angles from those that call the Clutch LSD the "Man's diff".

What's the breakway torque setting on your NISMO clutch LSD, Sean? Don't tell me you don't know ( ? ).

Wyn

Club Member
Albrecht said:
What's the breakway torque setting on your NISMO clutch LSD

Not sure if we are talking along the same lines, but a figure of 80lbs or 120 lbs springs to mind with my diff.
Not saying its right, but it’s a figure set in my mind :conf2:

Miles out?
What should it be then Albert ?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
900ss said:
What should it be then Albert ?

Win,
That's kind of the wrong question to ask. The answer will depend on what you want from your diff, and how you want your car to handle. A 'tighter' diff will make your car understeer more than it would with a 'looser' setting. The more receptive and sensitive track driver would want to alter damper / spring rate / anti roll bar settings to compensate. A slightly different driving style might also be necessary. Probably academic to you, but these things matter - and you would certainly notice the difference between a 'Factory' street-use setting and a very tight 'race' style setting. Most people are shocked at the way a very tight LSD behaves and sounds.

900ss said:
Not sure if we are talking along the same lines, but a figure of 80lbs or 120 lbs springs to mind with my diff.

It looked more like 40 to me judging from your Santa Pod donut video; the difference in traction between the inside and outside tyre in each direction was easy to see. If it is 120 ( which I don't believe ) you could probably do with a cooler on it, but it will soon loosen off anyway with the kind of treatment you were giving it.

The clutches and shims in a clutch LSD should be considered as wear items, and ought to be overhauled / reset when the diff starts slipping more than desired.

johnymd

Club Member
For the novice who just wants to get a more even power distribution to both wheels and dosn't want to get involved with the maintenance of a clutch type LSD, be better off with a quaffe or do they still require adjustment.

Adjusting the diff each day depending on if I am going to santa pod, a track day, or just daily driving, isn't something I want to be doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
johnymd said:
.......... a quaife or do they still require adjustment.

No they don't - once they are installed they are there for good and they don't wear (providing the oil is maintained).

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I got mine via two people and one of them has already spoken on this thread :) !

I also have a diff. cooler fitted to mine.....just in case :) !