Drag Challenge Prize Fund

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

The Club is trying to raise funds through trader / advertiser sponsorship of the Drag Challenge. This will be the annual prize fund for the winners later on this year.

A small request for the membership -

If you fancy helping out and chucking a few quid into the kitty, it will all help at the end of the day. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You can use the donate button on the home page or just click this link

Please be sure to comment that this is for the Drag Challenge.

Many thank :thumbs::thumbs:

Hi all,

The Club is trying to raise funds through trader / advertiser sponsorship of the Drag Challenge. This will be the annual prize fund for the winners later on this year.

If you fancy helping out and chucking a few quid into the kitty, it will all help at the end of the day. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Not enough ppl attend, any monies gained would be better spent on a bi or yearly mag.

Hi all,

Surly before the general membership are asked to chuck in a few quid the particpents of the Drag challenge should be asked first:confused:

That's where your wrong! There were lots of us at the last Drag race meeting, and we all had a bloody good time. Of course you wouldn't know that because you were at home reading your old zclub magazines and reminicing about the irrecoverable past!

Keep up the good work Rob!

Hi all, A small request for the membership -
If you fancy helping out and chucking a few quid into the kitty, it will all help at the end of the day.
Please be sure this is for the Drag Challenge.

Sounds ok to me :thumbs:

Surly before the general membership are asked to chuck in a few quid the particpents of the Drag challenge should be asked first:confused:

Steve is the challenge not open to all general membership peeps anyway?
Anyone can go and be counted :thumbs:
Even 280's and 2+2's have a place, even if they can't race :p :D

Even 280's ... have a place

The truth is that if 280ZXs and NA Z31s arrived, they could race together in a currently uncontested class and have a lot of fun...

Steve is the challenge not open to all general membership peeps anyway?
Anyone can go and be counted :thumbs:
Even 280's and 2+2's have a place, even if they can't race :p :D

Wynn
I never said that the challenge was not open to all the members as it is the same as Z008, Japfest, Oulton Park, Jap Show and all the other events
All these events are together with the Drag Challenge are supported financially in one way or another by each and every member from part of their subscriptions.

The Drag Challenge trophies have always been paid for out of the Clubs funds the same as any other outlay for any event and two years ago it was decided that we would attempt to give a cash prize for the winners of the Drag challenge and this prize money was raised from Traders prior to season and not from the general membership

what I asked was
Surly before the general membership are asked to chuck in a few quid the participants of the Drag challenge should be asked first:confused:
and by that I meant that every body who attended or took part in the challenge was charged a small fee

Last year 33 people either took part or attended the Challenge over the 6 event season so if they were asked for £1 for every time they attended one of the rounds the prize money almost be covered without the monies raised from sponsors

lets say

8 people all 6 rounds £6 each x8= £48
2 people only 5rounds £5 each x2=£10
2people only 4rounds £4 each x2 =£8
3people only 3 rounds £3 each x3=£9
6 people onlly 2 rounds £2each x6 =£12
10 people only 1round £1each x10 =£10
total would be £97

The prize money over the last 2 years
winner £100
2nd £50
3rd £25
total £175

Are we next going to ask the general membership to chuck in a few quid each Japfest, Oulton Park, Jap Show and all the other events

Grolls said:
Not enough ppl attend,

You are correct....not enough people attend (we always need more) but most "owners"are sitting at home contemplating their chrome polishing strategy for the coming week......however, many people DO put themselves out and attend even though the weather is often against us and as usual the support from the club ranges from piss poor to bugger all.

For example
Surly before the general membership are asked to chuck in a few quid the participants of the Drag challenge should be asked first

BUT if it were a picnic where you could all put your tartan blankets on the ground and sing cum by ya around a camp fire then you would be promoting it all day long but because its not fashionable and it requires you to drive at more than 60 MPH....its about as popular as dose of the clap.

Few events promote the sporting heritage of our cars better than the drag challenge, sitting in the fire up lane with numerous people asking "what car is it", is almost as good as running a quick time.

any monies gained would be better spent on a bi or yearly mag

In your humble opinion:rolleyes:
Let me get this right, your proposing that we raise money on behalf of the drag challenge and donate it to the club so we can have a magazine...
And we wonder why membership is falling:mad:

In your humble opinion:rolleyes:
Let me get this right, your proposing that we raise money on behalf of the drag challenge and donate it to the club so we can have a magazine...

But wasn't the monies to be raised by traders sponsorship as discussed at a committee meeting

You are correct....not enough people attend (we always need more) but most "owners"are sitting at home contemplating their chrome polishing strategy for the coming week......however, many people DO put themselves out and attend even though the weather is often against us and as usual the support from the club ranges from piss poor to bugger all.

For example

BUT if it were a picnic where you could all put your tartan blankets on the ground and sing cum by ya around a camp fire then you would be promoting it all day long but because its not fashionable and it requires you to drive at more than 60 MPH....its about as popular as dose of the clap.

Lets get this right
More members attend the social show type meetings than the drag challenge and you say these meetings are as popular as a dose of crap mmm do you thing by insulting these members will help attract them to the drag challenge:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You are entitled to your opinion but with that attitude is it surprising that membership is falling do members who don't go to the drag challenge turn round and slag that event off:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Every member has a choice of what type of event they want to go to the same as every member has the choice of what type of Z they own with out the danger of being insulted

The best way of attracting members is by the friendly welcoming approach and respecting them and their choice of interest

By the way it was nice to see so many of the people who's main interest in drag racing being at Z008 but were they lagged off for not coming No they weren't

In fact the person who may have promoted the Drag Racing most at the event was Steve Sinclair who turned up in his basicly 260Z drag racing car and won the best modified Z of show and the interest in his was fantastic not only from Z Club Members but from every other club that was there

Surly his friendly and cheerful misdemeanour's is the way to promote interest in an The Drag Challenge :bow::bow::bow::bow:

Steve Burns said:
Lets get this right
More members attend the social show type meetings than the drag challenge and you say these meetings are as popular as a dose of crap mmm do you thing by insulting these members will help attract them to the drag challenge:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Clearly you didnt read my post properly:conf2:, I was suggesting that the drag challenge was unpopular becuase it required some physical participation which we as an ownership group seem adverse to.

Steve Burns said:
do members who don't go to the drag challenge turn round and slag that event off:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Err yes, some have even claimed that it wasn't strickly "motorsport"

You are entitled to your opinion but with that attitude is it surprising that membership is falling
"that attitude" chap, has given 4 years of his time to club matters, committee meetings, editing magzines........ before shooting the good guys why dont you turn your aggression to those out there who promise everything but contribute nothing.

I'm with Steve B on this.

Obviously the easy way to raise money for a Few Members to have their motoring fun is to ask all members to donate money to the event and then slag them off for not taking part or wanting to be involved. This should raise many hundreds of pounds and raise the prestige of the club no end.

A much better way would be to charge an entry fee to those who take part and use this money to obtain prizes or whatever (along with the trophies already provided by the club) or to go out and seek sponsorship, but of course that requires some form of commitment.

Yes I know that some members put a lot of work into organising this event and I commend them for it but for some to think it is OK for others to supply money to reward them to participate in their favourite sport is a bit brown. If you are not happy to receive a trophy and want more than that, go out and get it. I see plenty of people willing to take the prize money but they make no effort to seek out sponsors who may be willing to supply money or prizes.

I think a Mature approach to all club activities/events should be enforced.The usual 'Them & us,
you & him,Bill & ben,Jack & jill. . .thing is not a productive or promoting form of getting anybody to
consider participating in any forthcoming event.
We are in the same boat? are we not? Dig bigger holes & we all sink! Z008 proved that
Previous bounderies were ' taken down' Berlin walls removed, & a Happy & content envoirenment
was in place.
All above have, & are key to the success of this club & the longevity & the
continuation depends on a positive attitude. . .Dudes.
Regards DJZ 60

A much better way would be to charge an entry fee to those who take part and use this money to obtain prizes or whatever

The participants at a Drag Challenge meet already pay £10 entry to Santa Pod and an additional £15 - £20 for the runs. The concept of the Z Club then charging them more again for their fun would probably put an end to this activity altogether. Quite apart, the Santa Pod management would probably take a dim view of additional charges being levied on their premises for their event...

If you are not happy to receive a trophy and want more than that, go out and get it. I see plenty of people willing to take the prize money but they make no effort to seek out sponsors who may be willing to supply money or prizes.

The prize fund up to date has been provided by a variety of sponsors, not by the Club. It has been supplemented by the fact that winners in prominent positions have not actually taken their winning funds, perhaps demonstrating that we don't do this for the money. Last year's trophies cost virtually nothing as they were cannibalised from the previous year's "spares".

Getting sponsors requires effort and they like to see some return for their investment. The Club failed miserably in this for the first year, didn't do much better last year and now wonders why we are struggling to raise funds from prospective sponsors for 2008. I have pledged my support both physically and financially (MJP sponsorship) for 2008, but there has been no indication from elsewhere that any more money is forthcoming. I personally don't expect unlimited support from the Club's ailing finances, but the current attitude from some to a long running and moderately successful event that is a part of this Club's heritage beggars belief.

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the idea of prize money being offered was to attract more people to the event, the dangling of the carrot & all that, but this does not seemed to have made any difference. it is mainly the same nucleus of people who i am sure like me would be there anyway like we always were.yes it is nice to pick up a trophy but that is not why i'm there.
my carrot is running a faster time & sharing that with the people trying to do the same & having a good day out.

If we are going to seek sponsorship from an outside source then surely it is in our own interest to keep that sponsor informed of how their money/product is being used. The idea surely is to keep the sponsors interest over several seasons, not to leave them feeling that they have backed a donkey. If none of the participants are willing to keep a liason running with sponsors then you are always going to be seeking new ones.

Further I am sure that the Santa Pod management already turn a blind eye to such 'levies'and it would be more correct to say that 'most of' the winners in prominent positions....

Re-using unused trophies is common sense and of course saves the club some funds but the fact remains that money from the club is available for trophies . My objection obviously is that money from the club or its individual members should not be used as a financial reward to competitors.

That is the spirit! I paid, to get into Japshow finale, Z008 & did it happil;y so,in order to live out my
passion & love for Z's. It is better to 'Encourage' attendence & 'attract' first timers to the Drag challenge or any other strip event. Scandal, bad vibes etc will most probably have an adverse affect &
minimalise the falling attendence. Comradery & a 'be there cause its gonna be great' spirit,I would
have thought is more inviting,than 'Don't come to my stall' cause I don't like anyone.LOL
The current economy is at an all time low & this is causing frustration & turmoil in all walks
of life. People look for excuses & point fingers,when the problem is usually elsewhere(like Russia).
DJZ 60.

Steve,
I am not expecting the drag race challenge to fund anything as it clearly cant fund itself.Try reading the first two posts again.

My thoughts are that of keeping the majority of Z fans interested in the cars and the club, you state the Drag Challenge attendance is "piss poor" and we need to remind others of its racing heritage.....utter bollox! The minority arn't even interested in the racing heritage, just take a look at the posts placed in the rally and race sections as it tells a story.:rolleyes:

Me, i'd rather see any cash go towards the majority, this should mean events like the swap meet billing etc and if at all possible, a mag.

Anyway, where were you when billing was on steve? polishing your pistons and greasing up your rear end no doubt!:rolleyes:

Well on that note, me diff casing needs washing as it got some grass stains and a little road grime after Z008.

Back