ZG trackday or race-car project

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So I've got this :

1971 'K' reg 240Z - Z Club Classifieds

which is going nowhere at the moment and a complete ZG (copy) kit.

Now if the kit were put on, a 100 litre tank put in the back and the floors replaced, most of the rust would have been cut out..........install a roll-cage, some bucket seats, coil-overs, big brakes and a snice engine of some form - this could be a tax-exempt road/track-day car..........with some more effort, it could even have its' FIA papers and be raced.

Now that my 260Z 2+2 is completing, I wonder what you guys might say about such a project...........never mind the hours of work, would such a car be interesting - would it sell ?
Do people buy such cars over there, basic (almost race-bare) interior and plent of adrenaline ?

Wyn

Club Member
Sean that link doesn't work

All the spellings wrong, deffo not English :confused:

Tbh. if I had your money and a garage as big as yours I would buy another Zed lol
And start my own team :cool:

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Now if the kit were put on, a 100 litre tank put in the back and the floors replaced, most of the rust would have been cut out..........install a roll-cage, some bucket seats, coil-overs, big brakes and a snice engine of some form - this could be a tax-exempt road/track-day car..........with some more effort, it could even have its' FIA papers and be raced.?

My wife would hang me by the dangly bitts if I even considered it........but I did think about the idea quietly and only for a second....;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Best way to sell this may be to get your mate to prepare it as a rolling and sorted shell in primer.

z-spec

Well-Known Forum User
So I've got this :

1971 'K' reg 240Z - Z Club Classifieds

which is going nowhere at the moment and a complete ZG (copy) kit.

Now if the kit were put on, a 100 litre tank put in the back and the floors replaced, most of the rust would have been cut out..........install a roll-cage, some bucket seats, coil-overs, big brakes and a snice engine of some form - this could be a tax-exempt road/track-day car..........with some more effort, it could even have its' FIA papers and be raced.

Now that my 260Z 2+2 is completing, I wonder what you guys might say about such a project...........never mind the hours of work, would such a car be interesting - would it sell ?
Do people buy such cars over there, basic (almost race-bare) interior and plent of adrenaline ?

Sean , I think the market is to early for these cars , people pay a 100.000,-/ 150.000,- pounds for a classic porsche, corvette or shelby racer , but nobody wil spend this money on a datsun i believe , I have done not much work on my 1970 racecar project
Yet but i building now a car for classic rallys with FIVA identety card or HTP ,
I think with not counting the hours the car cost about 25/30.000,- Euro and its completly fresh , solid CA body, new paint , 4,4 lsd diff , 5 speed cr box , bolted cage , seats , belts , 2,4 200bhp engine on webers , heated screen ,euro dashdials, 4pot brakes , Intrax shoks , ectr , ectr ,
you can build a car for les money and do not need to build expensive engines gearboxes and suspension parts for it ,
I have to service one of my customer cars for the MonteCarlo end of the month ( not a Datsun but a 1972 911rs ) , and i think that are the people you have to search for ,
On the other hand i want to build my racecar aswel , but you need what i think about double the money on parts .
Regards Adrian www.va-motorsport.com

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Ad. that was the kind of response I was looking for. I know that to do a serious racer, it'll cost at least £60,000 which is not in my hand-bag (or my wifes'..............:p) !

So my thoughts lean towards making up a road-registered track-day car that could at any moment be taken by someone with serious money and made into an 'FIA papered' racer.
This could be in the form of a primered rolling shell but if funds allow, it would be more fun to get it at least on the road.

I'd be interested to see your race-car project please and share with you any information that might be of use to you - my aim is as always, the advancement of recognition for our cars and oen more on the track, especially in Europe wouldn't hurt - I don't care whose but......

Something that The Count and DJR have impressed upon me - it should be done right, with the right detailing and be competitive or don't bother !

You're quite right about the client base though, and why I've been struggling with a thread here to convince people to think higher and better of their Zs !

http://zclub.net/forum/general-discussion/16249-zs-valued-classics.html

Our cars need to be appreciated more to attract the people with the money capable of taking them to wins ! They don't need to be valued financially more but it would help.:eek:

zbloke

Club Member
Something that The Count and DJR have impressed upon me - it should be done right, with the right detailing and be competitive or don't bother !

Agreed 100%

All we have to do is make everyone think this way

Your GrpIV racer looks to be coming along nicely too, anymore pics yet?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No - there is a small debate as to whether the front shock tower supports - extensions of the roll-cage supplied by Custom Cages and seen in the photos have to be removed or are admissable which will have to be sorted soon as the car is dues to be presented for its' FIA papers in Marche/April !

z-spec

Well-Known Forum User
No - there is a small debate as to whether the front shock tower supports - extensions of the roll-cage supplied by Custom Cages and seen in the photos have to be removed or are admissable which will have to be sorted soon as the car is dues to be presented for its' FIA papers in Marche/April !

Sean , any FIA race or rally up till 1978 is only permitted to have a rollcage fitted at 6 points ,welded or bolted , the only extra (7e) mounting point you can add is on top of the transmissiontunnel, to connect to the corners of the mainhoop , to make a connection to the front strut tower is as far as i know not allowed ,
Also welding the cage to the roof pillars . is not allowed.
there are event organisers who have more free regulations like the EAS , but if you build cars like that they are useless for FIA event and you never get a HTP with it .
I wil try to send pictures about we do it , there are different to do it , regards Adrian

Attachments

• Rollcage 240 z.JPG
    Rollcage 240 z.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 21
  • HLS30-1639 Body  (81).JPG
    HLS30-1639 Body (81).JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC02773.JPG
    DSC02773.JPG
    561.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02774.JPG
    DSC02774.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 21
  • HLS30-1639 Body  (79).JPG
    HLS30-1639 Body (79).JPG
    560.9 KB · Views: 20

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm very grateful Ad - dank u wel ! I'm convinced that Custom Cages provide the extra front bits for the EAS cars !

Red early US car with a rear-left wheelarch repair.....! Early car gives you the option of non-steel panels ? But do you not find it better just cutting out the reinforcing and going for more ccs ?

Last edited by a moderator:

z-spec

Well-Known Forum User
I'm very grateful Ad - dank u wel ! I'm convinced that Custom Cages provide the extra front bits for the EAS cars !

Red early US car with a rear-left wheelarch repair.....! Early car gives you the option of non-steel panels ? But do you not find it better just cutting out the reinforcing and going for more ccs ?

Sean, I only have early cars ( 1970 build ) the red is a aug1970 and the bare shell is jan1970 ,
Pre 72 cars you are alowed to use glassfibre doors,hatch and bonnet ( ive got the evidence here ) and we producing now , doors and early style hatch are ready ,

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sean, just a point about the ZG kit - I personaly don't like the look unless it is an original ZG road car like Albrecht's.

I think the front looks too long. I realise that it was an aerodynamic aid and so can accept it on race cars like DJ's or Ben's.

I just think you might make your project car even harder to sell.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don't like the look of The Counts' ZG BUT I respect it and him. It's too high on its' wheels for my taste.

I think a ZG only looks too long if the wings or arches aren't wider with obviously wider wheels - a bit like a 262 2+2 !

But a good point, if one is going to adapt an already fantastic form, it must be done sympathetically - there have been some 'rough' looking conversions and some other that have appeared out of proportion.

But I have no choice, the front and wings are rough and I have this kit sitting there so either it is a 'ZG' or parts scrapping - shame for a 'K' plate.

Like a lot of 'rough' cars wanting restoration, it'll be cheaper not to trim the inside and keep it simple.

Ad - surely if you use fibre-glass panels, you're limiting your engine size to 2500cc ? Are you looking to get it into the pre-1970 (ie car manufactured in 1969) classes to keep it competitive ?

z-spec

Well-Known Forum User
Ad - surely if you use fibre-glass panels, you're limiting your engine size to 2500cc ? Are you looking to get it into the pre-1970 (ie car manufactured in 1969) classes to keep it competitive ?[/quote]

Sean , i think they did not have a bigger engine then 2,4 before 1972 but i am not sure about that ,
But what counts is the homologation date of the car and the class you want to gone run ,
The homologation date of the 240Z is i believe 4/70 , the class you want to run is your choice you can run a 1969 Z in Gr H what goes to 1977 and use the extensions from the homologation till that date , or you can run in GR G what goes till 31/12/1971 and use the extensions til that date.
But building date does not say much , apart from that you can not use a 280z shell and build a pre 72 race car ,
But i think iff you build carefully you can build a Gr G ( pre72) car on 930 Kg , and thats the weight on the homologation ,
Regards Adrian