White LHD resto

johnymd

Club Member
I'd like to start a thread on the car I've just picked up from the dock. I'm going to freshen it up a bit and build it how I want it as Terry seams to think this is the one I should keep. I may at some point sell the car but that's not my intension at the moment. If people still think this thread shouldn't be here and consider it could become a for sale thread then I'm happy to go with the general opinion and take it down.

Here a few pics to start off with.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • LHSFsill.jpg
    LHSFsill.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 90
  • RHSF sill.jpg
    RHSF sill.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Toolboxes.jpg
    Toolboxes.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Under bonnett.jpg
    Under bonnett.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 99

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Don't seem like a for sale thread to me and if in a few months or years it does No big problem as it would have run its course
crack on fella

johnymd

Club Member
How can you tell it's a '73?

I really like the turbo vec wheels but they probably won't go with the black/white theme of the car.

Mr.G

Club Member
I love the turbovec wheels too, big fan of them... if you have the 16" ones they are mega rare and were on my wish list for ages...!

Look forward to seeing how you tackle the freshen up, looks like a nice solid car.

johnymd

Club Member
Only had a quick look at getting it running today and it starts but shortly after stalls. Terry suggested I put some petrol in it but if I do, then the emissions will go up and I don't want to pay more road tax. Hang on, its tax exempt, so maybe I'll treat it to a gallon of the good stuff.

You mentioned the flat tops Steve. What are the symptoms of the problem with this type of carb?

I think the wheels are the ultimate in retro.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
John, I reckon some of those pics were taken in the US correct?

Also I never thought I'd see you taking pictures of a Datsun Jack and handle.

johnymd

Club Member
Thanks George. Wheels are only 14's which is a shame.

The freshen up will involve prep and paint outside. Inside doesn't need painting, just a new vinyl, carpets, seat covers and dash cover. All in black. Refresh all the suspension and brakes (learning how to do this from Don). Weather seal kit and painted bumpers. Probably black wheels.

Shouldn't cost much!!!!

johnymd

Club Member
Yep. There's a mixture in the group but they are exactly what I got. I'll take some better pics tomorrow.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
How can you tell it's a '73?

I really like the turbo vec wheels but they probably won't go with the black/white theme of the car.

As Skidaddle noted - flat-top carbs...add in the early shock-absorber bumpers and 'hide-all' rubber strips over the now large gap between then and the body....elementary !

So can I have first dibs on the wheels please ?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
You mentioned the flat tops Steve. What are the symptoms of the problem with this type of carb?

They are just more complex than the bell tops, with a separate idle circuit, power valve, re located float bowls and a load of emmisions stuff tagged on, they can be made to work very well but it takes more effort than the round tops to do so.

Owners choice really.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I did write a much lengthier reply but my battery went, now I'm typing on my phone which is less than ideal
Over the past few years working at Petes Parts Emporiam we have thrown several sets away
Technically they are better but with that goes complexity, complexity and time don't mix well
The separate idle circuit in theory is great but it's the first thing to cause grief

Sean if you mean Tony D in the U.S. Then he swears by them but he's happy to endlessly tinker and is in a minority.
It maybe my comfort zone and the fact that I've had a lot more experience on SU's (or Hitachi copies) but I know which I would rather work with.

Last edited by a moderator: