Valve stem seals bad after 15.000 Km?

240L31

Club Member
Hey guys,

Last week I was told that there are blue clouds of smoke during deceleration and tip-in. Whats your experience, could this be the valve steam seals already? The engine was rebuild 15.000 Km ago.

Which are the best available valve stem seals? OE? Victor Reinz?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I have the Ford seals mentioned in this thread.

But I might not have done 15000 km.

Rings are a possibility too.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Has the engine been rebuilt during your ownership?

My first 240 smoked badly on overun. Thought valve guides/seals but the engine was knackered. That started me on the modifying route and spending too much.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Wouldn't be continuing smoke be a symptom then?

The cylinders head wasn't rebuild by me but I installed it. So I don't really know which seals were used.
I think high vacuum with deceleration can draw oil in past the rings too, but aiui valve stem seals most likely.
You can probably change the seals without taking the head off, although might be easier to take it off anyway.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
For me, a must to use the Ford valve seals for any performance L series and for times with long periods of not being used. The Viton seals are less likely to deteriorate, and are a shorter install height, so helps with any issues with a cam with some lift.

Can be ripped when installed, so care, I think they come with an installing sleeve.

240L31

Club Member
For the ford Seals, do I need any special tool for installation? I happen to have two sets sitting in my basement for 5 years now :D

I just did a compression test, all cylindes 12-13.5 bar (175 psi+), with cold engine.

240L31

Club Member
I removed one valve stem Seal today. It's complete garbage, rock hard and almost 1mm widened.

Left is the one I removed, middle Victor Reinz replacement which I couldn't get seated on the valve guide and right the Ford viton seal which I found very easy to install.

I am quite confident that this will solve my issue.

Attachments

• IMG20230702194917.jpg
    IMG20230702194917.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 11