Using 2" SUs ?

toopy

Club Member
I was a couple of years back, but decided they weren't of benefit on a standard L28 and swapped back to the Hitachi's.

I now have a pair of 1 3/4" SU's to refurb, as i suspect the spindle and/or bushes are worn on one of the Hitachi's, and parts are scarce and/or expensive, not so with the SU's ;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
My first Z ran 2" SUs and another we did a while back here on an improved L28 was comfortably making 200bhp at the crank and returning 28mpg on a 3.7 diff.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yeh my old track car (2.8) used 2" SUs and it ran well (over 200bhp).

Sean were the carbs you sold me last year off that car you mention?

I'm thinking of trying 2" on my blue car. The problem is the guy I used to tune my car on his rolling road is no longer with us.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No, bought for another project and the guy changed his mind at the last minute wanting motobike carbs....which work fine but drink a LOT more !

Farmer42

Club Member
........................................................I now have a pair of 1 3/4" SU's to refurb, as i suspect the spindle and/or bushes are worn on one of the Hitachi's, and parts are scarce and/or expensive, not so with the SU's ;)

I wonder how many people have sets of worn out Hitachi's on a shelf somewhere. I have a set that I decided not to refurb for the same reason as you. Don't think I will ever use them now I have SUs. Maybe if only one carb is wearing out on each pair, there may be a good set to be made out of all of them.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Also perhaps carbs that are in need of servicing and adjustment are considered worn-out? How many miles would it take to wear them out and how many miles have our Zs done?

johnymd

Club Member
I've never used 2" su's. I've just gone back to hitachi's on my silver rat look car. The injection setup will be going on the new silver car to get the best from the future 3.0 engine. I got it running on Monday night but not very well. The pain of getting an old set of worn su's functioning acceptably beings.