Toyo TR1s or other road 225/50x15 tyres

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Any feedback please on these Toyos ?

I'm looking for a quietish road tyre, v-good performance in the wet.

Or other alternatives please - but not ludicrously expensive ones ?

astroboy

Well-Known Forum User
They are ok. Good in the wet know where your talent limits are. They have soft walls iirc.
Also a good looking tyre.

Had a set on my MR2 turbo as a daily driver. Lasted 10k. A mixture of spirited driving and city traffic. Eventually killed on a track day.

I'd happily have them again for a daily driver but for weekend blats, I'd look elsewhere.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/T1R.htm

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Nick - this you ?

Given 46% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota MR2 mk3 Roadster (215-40-16-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 2,500 spirited miles
Road feedback - the big let down with this tyre. I would imagine these are fine for general pootling about, but they're hopeless for any sort of spirited driving due to the soft sidewalls.
When you put load on these through a corner the tyres have to take up the slack on the sidewalls before you feel the grip. Feels floaty & not how a sports car should feel.
Once you have the grip, there's little indication on where that grip ends or where your car will end up when it does.

I need a sports-car tyre for my GT :D, quiet in the dry and good performance in the wet.

I already have a second set of wheels and will be fitting Toyo R888s or similar for track days.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Are we talking T1-R rather than TR1? (assume so, since I can't find a record of TR1s).

I have 225/45/17 T1-Rs. I've had them probably 8 years - at a couple of 1000 miles per year and they've been great. I found them predictable on the track. No real experience of driving them in the rain, since I avoid it like the plague in the Z.

I think I read T1 Sport are the replacement for T1-R, and they seem to review a little better for wet performance.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/Proxes-T1-Sport.htm

And you can get them for a good price:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161708747598?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I have 205/60/15 wheels and recently fitted a set of Bridgestone Turanza T001 tyres to mine which I have been very happy with. Of course my car is a road car and I do not as a rule throw it round a track (although it was quite recently driven professionally around a track at high speed and the tyres gave a very good account of themselves).

astroboy

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Nick - this you ?

Given 46% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota MR2 mk3 Roadster (215-40-16-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 2,500 spirited miles
Road feedback - the big let down with this tyre. I would imagine these are fine for general pootling about, but they're hopeless for any sort of spirited driving due to the soft sidewalls.
When you put load on these through a corner the tyres have to take up the slack on the sidewalls before you feel the grip. Feels floaty & not how a sports car should feel.
Once you have the grip, there's little indication on where that grip ends or where your car will end up when it does.

I need a sports-car tyre for my GT :D, quiet in the dry and good performance in the wet.

I already have a second set of wheels and will be fitting Toyo R888s or similar for track days.

Nick who? No Nick here lol.

Nor my review lol. Whatever you do, don't go prada spec 1/2 in the wet. Dire apparently.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry Astro - mixed you up with someone else.

I need a very good road tyre, comfort, low noise and resistant walls - one that I can track on wet days too.

Please.

Dale

Club Member
I'll agree on the T1Rs that they're no good for fast driving. On fast sweeping bends the soft walls make them feel like they're creeping and gives you very little confidence. Great in the wet though, and they cover the edge of the rims so you won't curb them. Not that I would do that! ;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No, heard that it was the same rubber as the R888s and I need a better tyre for wet work and reduced road noise - thanks anyway.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So, still looking for a decent sportive wet-weather tyre and obviously the more tread, the less noise....although some treads seem to go against the flow....

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Sean

The R1R is their wet weather road track tyre, I think Ian has them on his blue car, but like anything that grips they will wear out quickly.

I have Goodyear Excellence on the Z ( 205/60) and they work well in the wet and in the dry, and had Dunlops on the 911, which I've just replaced with Pirelli P6000s as I wanted to go back to original profiles 215/60 on the rear and 195/65 on the fronts, haven't had these out in the rain as yet, but dry grip is good.

Dale

Club Member
Yokohama AD08r?

No personal experience to offer but reviews are favourable and might suit your requirements?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yokohama AD08r?

No personal experience to offer but reviews are favourable and might suit your requirements?

Yokos are getting on the expensive side.

R1Rs still seem to be to far towards semi-slicks...

A T1-R thread pattern for a maximum 70dB rating, less is preferred and excellent wet-weather handling. Obviously dry handling is needed and with a stiffer flank, these would be okay but.....

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
No, heard that it was the same rubber as the R888s and I need a better tyre for wet work and reduced road noise - thanks anyway.

Try checking the facts first.....yes its the same rubber but its thier wet weather version with specific tread patterns designed to remove water and produce big rooster tails....try reading reviews before dismissing......

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Patronising as ever - I hope you work alone !:D

The reviews I read via a pro racing driver suggested that wet weather performance was ok considering that it was a superb dry weather tyre and road noise acceptable for what is basically a road semi-slick.....and that'll be great for those wanting a better compromise between dry and wet over that of the typical R888s which aren't bad already from experience...but if you read my brief, I don't want stupendous dry weather performance from my road tyres, I want comfort, low noise and superior wet weather performance because :

a) 95% of the time the car will be on the road and not just in glorious sunshine - I want to enjoy the car all year round.

b) the car will be de-tuned throughout to be more of a road GT (see above) - I don't need nor want to corner on rails or stick to the tarmac because I shan't be driving in that style on public roads - too much Police/radar suppression here and tracters/cyclists/horses where I live - not a good combination.

c) I want the road tyres to double up (hence a more sportive feel than the soft-walled T1-Rs) as a wet-weather track tyre because rain doesn't put me off from track-days - I rather enjoy it.

d) I have another set of Rotas upon which I'll fit semi-slicks and upon these I might fit R1Rs or R888s or whatever - haven't decided yet and I have 'til Spring to work that out with help from all your advice and opnions including your valued words Steve.

But that doesn't get me further down the road to choosing a decent, sportive comfortable road (good wet performance) tyre in 225/50/15....

Please.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Your definition of patronising is at the very least, interesting.

No I don’t work alone, I manage highly respected professionals, they do differ from you though, they act like adults and don’t need to be patronised.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So...you decide who and when NEEDS to be patronised ?

Probably the problem here is I've detected the key word in your sentence - 'respected'. If you don't respect me wtf are you doing even answering my request for help and advice ?

I've politely correctly listed my whys and hows - just ignore the thread if you have nothing more constructive to offer......act like 'that' adult you are mate !