To go 15/16 or stay with 7/8 master cylinder

toopy

Club Member
Having done the Toyota caliper upgrade and now the master cylinder failing on me, i obviously need a new one, but im torn between the keep it simple and stay with OEM 7/8 or the well documented 280zx 15/16 swap, but that also involves hard line faffing as well as that adjuster shenanigans.

Who's been there and done it or indeed who hasn't and stuck with 7/8? Info/advice/driving experience/warnings gratefully received :D

AliK has 7/8 and doesn't mind the extra travel, but i'd quite like an opinion from a 15/16 owner as well.

and has anyone got either of the above, new or nearly new lying around they might want to sell, once i decide!

toopy

Club Member
I guess no one else has been there, done that then?!

Took a drive over to see AliK, and he graciously allowed me to drive his car... after we bled a tad of air out of each caliper.

The pedal maybe felt a little softer but it was barely discernible as far as i was concerned, and it pulled up under emergency braking
with a just a hint of lock at the front pretty damn quick, which felt much improved over OEM stuff, so all good there, 7/8 replacement it is!

and apologies to Ali for inducing a little wheel spin on the test drive :oops:.... that new engine looks, sounds and feels amazing :cool:
although i didn't press to hard on the loud pedal..... left that to the owner! :drool: :cheers:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You're most welcome and glad you found your answer.

As for the wheel spin, don't sweat it at all, it was great to have someone else in the driving seat being a hooligan pulling out of that pub! The turn just begs for it [emoji14]

Huw

Club Member
Word of warning Mr T. If you can get the later 280ZX master Cylinder you would be better off. You can’t get replacement seals for the early ones for love nor money and the Carzone refurb units are just a big waste of money.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Word of warning ..., Carzone refurb units are just a big waste of money.

I assume you mean Cardone?

I just bought a replacement Cardone 280zx dizzy to replace mine which has a wobble in the shaft. The cardone "remanufactured" one at £180ish delivered is equally as bad as my 40 year old one and will be going back [emoji20] my last purchase with Cardone on the receipt unless they are able to come good, watch this space.

As for the 7/8ths I think Toopey has a choice between faffing about with adjustments on a 280zx one, replacing the whole lot including booster for 280zx or getting a bolt on solution for now.

The other question to consider is how often do the seals give out? If it lasts 20 years then is it worth staying 7/8ths for now and reviewing options in the future? If it's 3-5 years then not worth bothering.

Also, what is so magical about the seals? Aren't they simply rubber rings style things that could be replaced with generic ones?

EDIT: do we trust Kenjutsu quality? If so this is reasonably priced, has nipples in the right places and has the North-South orientation.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152955164451

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Your other option ...

£100 ish

db628d42652ba0eccc02bc3e2aeaa64f.png

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302192327527

Not sure how different a 240z 7/8ths cyl is to a late 260z (I'm sure Albrecht would know) but surely it's the seals at the bore size that matters!?

Huw

Club Member
Yeh Cardone rubbish. I personally wouldn’t trust 30+ year old seals in my braking system that I didnt know the history of. The rubber goes hard over time and depending on usage they will wear as they are designed to do. The seals can collapse slightly and the piston will scrap the soft Alu bore. The internals of the 79 cylinder are different to later types. Of course they aren’t interchangeable. Think you can get a refurb set for the later master cylinder.

You would think the seals would be generic. I thought so too. Big Red were very helpful but in the end I couldn’t get the ones they supplied to fit properly. I did manage to get a couple of refurb sets from Australia, but not seen them advertised for some time.

toopy

Club Member
Chaps, I've ordered a Centric 7/8ths for a 280z, nipples on wrong side as it's LHD from rockauto, but how often do you need to use them anyway?!

MrF recommends the Centric or Raybestos brands and also Moog

I had considered a rebuild kit but, 1. would it actually fit/work, 2. The bores in my existing one could be well past there best anyway, and 3. when you consider the prices, a bit extra for a complete unit or a rebuild kit.... no contest!

I had looked at the Kenjutsu, but thought it could end up being just a re-branded Cardone, albeit RHD spec, but played safe and went with the known decent brand

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nice detective work mr Toops!! In my notes for future ref.

Huw, you're scaring me!! Before long we'll need to stop driving these cars for fear of wearing them out and not finding parts at acceptable prices!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ps. If it's this one, that is a very fair price too!!

e1676d4a7bee47b9f7b81feffabf41c6.png

toopy

Club Member
Yes, that’s the one, though as always, postage and tax bumps up the cost considerably

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I was outing a MSA order in tonight and asked about this very same item and brand, they were coming in a $99 before delivery and Import duties. So you are still quids in!

yellowz

Club Member
Not scientific but I make it about £75 delivered. I use International Economy and pay VAT upfront. Normally gets here within a week.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
On my blue car I have a SANYCO master cylinder 7/8" with Toyota front calipers, DJ rear discs, Wilwood adjuster.

Yep bleed nipples on 'wrong' side.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I bought a Beck Arnley 7/8 one couple of years ago from RockAuto and it’s got ‘em on the correct side and looked most like the original IMO.
Similar price to those discussed here.
c643737a906f24d1390fbd09a0b74699.png

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm thinking that you can swap the nipples to the other side?

Ignore the wiring - that's work in progress. I've removed wrapping because I'm adding more wires.

Attachments

• 20180703_144551.jpg
    20180703_144551.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180703_144602.jpg
    20180703_144602.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: