Stock radio, modern internals

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
OK, about time I started a thread on my latest pass time which I'm tackling in 40mins to 1 hour bites when I get some free time in between work and toddler taming.

WARNING: this thread contains gratuitous scenes of originality destruction. Please stop reading if of a nervous disposition or all about totally, utterly stock in every way!

The existing aftermarket radio is a complete wart on my totally stock interior. The objective is, to have a completely "stock looking" radio where all the buttons and knobs function, FM radio, connectivity for smartphone or other music device and 20w x2 RMS.

On-Vol-Tone will do what it says on the tin. Tuning knob will click left or right with a "momentary rotary switch" behind it and will click along the FM presets and act as next/prev track. FM far right will act as play as well as scan and tune button. AM far left will act as mode button for selecting radio or other sources.

The middle buttons will have a special set of functions.

Here is the radio, the last time it was whole as Mr Hitachi had intended.
ccb57f00342087820ddcb0b064c80ecc.jpg

And with knobs off (they just pull off)

4584ac2e5fabc083271577d9f6603045.jpg

First and foremost, it pains me greatly to take apart such a superb and intricate piece of mechanical engineering. (With an oscilloscope and some hours of tinkering I could have probably fixed it but it would still sound pants and not allow the connectivity I want.)

For example: Just look at the mini universal joint on the tuning knob and the clutch mechanism on the tuning wheel!!!! The clutch wheel moves sideways by about 3mm when a front button is pushed in and the UJ is there to accommodate that - how very cool!!!

3b25ec97b1fcba9b0be6a36ee3386a20.jpg

ce38dd4ca3004dca937bb5efd972899b.jpg

The buttons operate a flat cam style plate that moves a slider (I think potentiometer). Each button had it's own precisely engineered wedge that moves a bar connected to the tuning wheel that moves ferrite cores in and out of inductors to vary their tuning properties - just awesome engineering. This level of mechanical and electronic integration / engineering brilliance we will never see again in our hi tech goods, a true lost art :( But then again, they are a LOT smaller, lighter and more feature rich! :D

These things must have taken sooooo many man hours to build. That entire circuit board and more now fits on a 50 pence piece size board + a power amp IC.

So first things first, cleaning off 40 years of finger grease and dead skin cells.

7b2205d4bac9e83ed989a5d8a80b0c80.jpg

Amazing what could be achieved with a tooth brush and some silver paint.

91cc4cb06522b4febf851c78bcb0f840.jpg

The toughest part of the whole thing is to get the buttons to work with modern electronics. They used to move the clutch discs and a slider in ways I am too dumb to fathom.

0c919f69582e5376be60c3585ec3ba4d.jpg

d1b0f3c68c1b51b6c8d393a0a13d090e.jpg

These will have ultra miniature micro switched fitted. Fortunately there is a piece if metal that held in place inductors with moving ferrite cores for AM / FM tuning which fits the micro switches perfectly ...

b712bc843013b39ae1e71d86bc30eff5.jpg

0bb5cdedfebfe0bfe1a97d1a4f909237.jpg

407d1dd0ede54dadd35b724e03c21d4a.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Nathan, one thing I can guarantee is the progress will be very stocato ;)

Tried the donor electronics in the car when I had the centre console out the other day and it sounded awesome, . though a speaker upgrade is going to be a must to handle the power without distortion.

Gaz 300

Well-Known Forum User
This is going to be a great thread. I still have the oem radio and cd in the z32 300zx which are a bit more modern than your's but a lot of owners still throw them out for new units. Look forward to the updates here :thumbs:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Ryan! Great link, I suspect they would be doing it more professionally i.e. Custom circuit board / electronics

strugrat

Club Member
No problem.

Yeah I think there are a few options, all custom as you say or you can use your original unit to control a updated new Sony one that you hide away somewhere.

I didnt think the price was too bad considering and their reviews appear to be very good.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Fantastic, very impressed your having a go. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Radio in the car isn't something I have given much thought to, kind of trying to avoid thinking about it. Love the link to those guys though. Unfortunately you then need to start thinking about where the speakers need to go.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It would have been a lot easier to leave that in the console and have a modern one in the glove box.

However good luck, it's going to be a challenge that could be rewarding.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Mike, let's see how it ends up ;)

Rob - you are so right on all counts. I've never been one to take the simple route ;) and sometimes I wish I had. As you say, this one is a labour of love and the challenge appeals to my creative side which is much frustrated at work at present.

Ryan - the prices are very reasonable, I think by the time I finish, I suspect I'll be a little over my £20 original estimate. Not even considering my hourly rate in that equation :eek:

Ped

Club Member
Great thread, have the same issue. I have been quoted £250 - £300 (excluding speakers) to get mine redone internally from a couple of sources found online. A bit costly for my needs.

I quite like the look of the Retrosounds radios (available via various online retailers). The advantage being I can keep the original dash fascia. Just don't know if they are any good?

Look forward to following your thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Ped!

With the wife and kiddies out of town I got to play!!

To recap, buttons removed, cleaned and only what is essential to their future operation put back e.g springs and the double bar they used to rotate half way one way or the other. This stops the buttons going all the way in and falling out of their slots. The spring is back on either side too to stop it rattling.

A tiny bit more progress ...

Microswitches all held in place mechanically by the bracket and for good measure glued in with super glue. It's so strong I smashed one trying to remove it again.

d5f4dd85e2a50183a6d85de25496a462.jpg

f07338703e1c92306ebfd8539455d56b.jpg

And wired up

4c545a84b7e7359927214c708ca8d869.jpg

Here they are in situ sitting over the tops of the buttons - when compressed as shown in photo, the switch is "open".

af694391c898abd397bcfa6106df03ac.jpg

And here is one in operation when button is pressed all the way in with switch in "closed" position.

bb164da2d5c5864eae9836b3053e8b27.jpg

Here are the donor electronics I need to transplant ...

28ab65c75e55960b4f297aef97bacc74.jpg

The tiny board is the receiver and USB / SD card reader + illuminated display, the larger board is the power, aux input and amp circuits.

And here is where they need to go ...

5b46c8a17a58959b3c16f657da151121.jpg

I had to remove all the connections and pots but I left the Bass pot in place so that I can adjust if needed (albeit with difficulty from behind) and it helps secure the board in place. The treble will be used as the "Tone" with the original controls. Given I have a small sub hidden under passenger seat with bass control knob hidden in ashtray, I don't really need access to the bass knob as much as the Treble.

The power amp needs to sink away it's heat through the case, hence the board is mounted as you see here with two holes drilled on the side + a small hole drilled out of the back for the Bass pot to stick out of. To give it a good thermal connection, the heat sink will have "PC processor silver heatsink paste" between it and the case when I screw it in for the last time.

73065f0365ee1d0b57ed9ae9bb1311fe.jpg

Bed time and the beauty of it is I can leave the breakfast table in a complete mess without worrying about toddlers!!! ;)

3b31ba8727c22f221708305738a273ef.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It's coming on well, great job.

All that radio work and there's nothing worth listening to. :unsure: At least you'll have MP3 capability I think you said.

Huw

Club Member
Coming along nicely Ali. First time I've seen your thread. Done a few like this (guts replacement, not that radio), its a very rewarding job. I just like soldering. Looking forward to the final outcome.

Huw

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks chaps. As long as I can get radio 4 and play my 70's funk on the motorway, I'm happy Rob ;).

Good job Huw - I know what you mean about soldering. Quite therapeutic. I went back to my electric soldering iron today as I couldn't get the temperature stable enough on the gas one.

Little but more progress today on the display and IR sensor for the remote (which I doubt I will use but good to have the possibility if needed.)

071b8f039c0c18c3f0d2bf6c979e8441.jpg

97e100d948667bdc917d52c61c58806e.jpg

29d0fc6fc7023970e50f3a4f7f1b2054.jpg

I am in the dog house though for not doing enough house cleaning today. Guess I better start building it, getting dark ;)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Insomnia is a pain in the buttocks but it has benefits. Some major progress this eve.

Cut out the USB and SD card slots out of the back of the unit.

Wasn't happy with my display wiring it was over gauged so I rewired it using CAT 5 LAN cable wires which were perfect!! ;) Except that the heat from the soldering iron melts the sheaths on the other side of the board, hence super glue to keep the wires from moving.

aff7de1f1c0081e1e168b18ed3cb81d1.jpg

Got the tuner board mounted above the power and amp board. Just need to tidy up the wires and solder onto the pots either side.
2bada90beb7a323aa1f9d0c3b0fe8ef4.jpg

At the bottom of the pic you'll see a piggy backed rotary momentary switch as I wanted to keep the original post - it gives the perfect separation of the tuning knob and the silver ring behind it which I found super hard to replicate otherwise.

I'm tempted to build a power circuit in addition to what's in there to make sure it's protected from any transients from the car. But I really shouldn't add more work. This is taking too much of my life already ;)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Tiny bit more progress last night. Would have made more progress, except this got in the way ....

27e00516a8f7ccec261ba861a6fa1b8b.jpg

I love London Bridge station :(

Managed to solder up the volume, tone and tuning controls as well as a final tidy up of the wiring and final mounting of the power amp with silver heatsink paste to the body.

Have buzzed all the connections and all seems well - no shorts, all the right impedances in the right places and connections going to the right places - though I won't know if it all works until powered up in the car, as my bench PSU is lost in space (attic somewhere).

Not sure how well it will work as I'm using original volume pot and it's 10k instead of 50k ohms that the circuit came with. Given it's logarithmic, hopefully it will make little difference, it maybe that the radio turns on with more volume than totally silent at the extreme of the pot.

Here's hoping I haven't killed anything in the process of the heart transplant. But I'll find out this eve when I put her in the car.

fea418bc06d885428e320e2c65277e95.jpg

She's not quite finished yet but as I have the photoshoot on Friday, I don't want to leave a gaping hole where the radio should be ;)

To do list includes:

Wiring up display lights to take input from car lights being on / dimmed.

Adding universal connector to the wires hanging out of the back for easy future removal of the unit.

Cutting out case lid overhangs at the back to not cover the USB port hole (doh, design fault on my behalf, but no better position to be found for it).

Adding phono to 2.5mm jack for AUX input from iPhone or other music device.

Possible additional power and linear regulator circuit controlled by car's ignition switch wiring I.e. Turning the starter key to ACC powers up radio and to off will kill power to radio.

Well, let's see if she still works first ;)

toopy

Club Member
She's not quite finished yet but as I have the photoshoot on Friday, I don't want to leave a gaping hole where the radio should be ;)

You've done an amazing job on this, looking forward to seeing it tomorrow, working or not :thumbs:

my car has never had a radio

just a gaping hole! Ho Hum... no photos of the centre console then ;)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks dude! Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow! And seeing your gaping hole ;)