So it looks like I have a hole

Robbie J

Club Member
where is the best place in the UK to get bits of floor, the car I have purchased has the odd hole... and not the ones that have bungs in...

it takes ages to get bits in the US and the car is heading to blighty on Tuesday next week

yes, the guy that helped me buy it only looked under one side......

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
I'm on the hunt for a LH rear wheel arch repair panel - in case of of you know where I might source. Got one on back order with Mike at MJP, but need it quite urgently. Thanks, Graeme

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
where is the best place in the UK to get bits of floor, the car I have purchased has the odd hole... and not the ones that have bungs in...

it takes ages to get bits in the US and the car is heading to blighty on Tuesday next week

yes, the guy that helped me buy it only looked under one side......

You still have time to - you know - not send it...

If the floor(s) are rusty enough to require replacement rather than piecemeal patching then there's a good chance it will also be rusty in the inner sills, outer sills and doglegs too.

It seems a bit pointless to be buying a rusty example (of a largely unloved variant with extra-limited structural spares availability) from California, the land of the "not rusty" Z.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Awesome. It’s just the LH one I need. You ok to sell one individually? How much you want for it? This is what I’m after.
f5a3c2af84d9ca51f1a84594f9e51276.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbie J

Club Member
yes well, its already booked to come to the UK, I want a 2+2 as I have a "young un" I'm hoping its just one side but the rails have been used jack the car up and damaged....

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
yes well, its already booked to come to the UK, I want a 2+2 as I have a "young un" I'm hoping its just one side but the rails have been used jack the car up and damaged....

Not saying you shouldn't be buying a 2+2, more that it might have been better not to buy this particular 2+2...

When you say "rails", I believe you might actually be referring to the floor supports. They are not really chassis rails per se, they just beef up the floor panels longitudinally. The real structural strength in the middle of the bodyshell is borne by the combination of the inner and outer sills, which in some areas have three layers. The roof structure and pillars have a structural function too, effectively putting a lid on the 'box'.

The floor supports are simple 'U' channels welded to the floor panels and are relatively easy to make and replace. The floors themselves are more complicated and have the seat rail crossmembers attached to them, but the inner and outer sills and doglegs are even more so. Don't underestimate this. If you are buying a car that hasn't been appraised properly by somebody who understands these cars, then you might be buying and importing something that will be difficult and costly to repair properly. So if the damage really is just due to tyre shops jacking the car up on the floor supports that's one thing, but if the damage is more structural and rust is involved then you really need to look more closely and consider your options.

If you're feeling brave, put some photos up here. It's usually easy to tell a structurally sound car from a shitbox, even from limited photos.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I don't think it can be overstated:
when possible, and buying a Zed from afar, have a person with a great deal of knowledge with zeds to personally inspect the car and provide photographic evidence of their findings.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Rob, still meeting up tomorrow???
Maybe we can use FB messenger to talk in real time?
My FB page is Mike McShane Sacramento
Cell number is 916-764-9759

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
yes... I get it, my mechanic will be well employed

No, you don't get it. Clearly.

Still, if it's your idea of an adventure, crack on. Midlife crisis cliches used to be a choice between a new patio and a Harley Davidson. These days it seems to be a hare-brained 'keep everybody happy' family-friendly modern engine-swapped 'classic' which is neither fish nor fowl. Selection of the project base seems to be first-looked-at and pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey style impetuosity more than informed and considered purchase.

"Woof woof".