Slipping out of 5th gear

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
Hi al,

While I was out in the car today it slipped out of 5th geat a few times, this has never happened before. doesn't seem to happen in any other gear execpt for 5th.

Whats wrong now :rolleyes:

most likely that the synchromesh is worn therefore not locking into gear properly.
Gearbox out and replace synchro. I used to do it overnight at a race meeting when I was running my standard gearbox.

My car has just started to do it too, was very scary at full throttle and then BANG!!! I am fitting S13 box just waiting for the bits to come back from the machine shop!!

Could this slipping out of 5th be a loose nut on the mainshaft (common fault I understand). In the attached picture it's the nut below the bearing. 280ZX box on left, S13/14 on right.

I lost 5th gear altogether on my old 260 box.

However it's still a 'box out and dismantle job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skiddy, is there a thread on fitting the s14? if not care to start one?

There are no threads on here but there are several on Hybridz and some Aus sites...the conversion is well documented and has been in use for several years, its a perfect solution to tired 30+ year old boxes especially for modified cars.

Its not cheap as the base cost of an FS5W71C (box) is at least £250 -£300 then you have machining, assembly and materials cost plus the cost of either a new propshaft or having your old one shortened (50mm). then you will want a decent quickshift kit as the stock lever is a little "ma and pa". Cheap shifters are available on fleabay but they are shite, the best is a B&M but they are not cheap either (good stuff rarely is).

The net result is a world apart from the old "B" variant in any of its guises.

...then you will want a decent quickshift kit as the stock lever is a little "ma and pa".
But would it be still a marked improvement over the original in stock form? Bear in mind (and I mean no disrespect whatsoever by this) that not everyone who has an old Z will be wanting to 'get in the 12s'. I mean, from the changeover, is it a good enough for an everyday jobbie? (once fitted correctly)

An s14 box does sound interesting and I will search over on hybridz for more info.

I have a spare 260 box that I will probably swap next weekend........Hoping that will do for the rest of the summer.

I was reading that 5th gear is only meant as a cruising gear on the Zd's and not a hard pulling gear as the teeth are different from 1st to 4th?

I was pulling hard in 5th on the motorway yesterday when it happened:(

It will stay in 5th cruising at 60 or 70 but put the pedal down and it pops out:rolleyes:

In the mean time I'll start trying to locate a s14 box and anyother bits and bobs that are needed.

Cheers,
Jay

Jay, I was pulling hard in 5th when I lost 5th gear (never to be found again). It's not difficult to pull the box apart, those are mine in the pics.

Jay, I was pulling hard in 5th when I lost 5th gear (never to be found again). It's not difficult to pull the box apart, those are mine in the pics.

I can still get 5th gear, but put the foot down at all and it will pop back out...........I'll swap box's over next weekend and take the bad one apart. never opened a gearbox before so it will be interesting to see the workings of it anyway :)

You don't have to go for a S14, S14A an S13 box is the same just a slight difference in the drainage holes which let the oil drain to the back of the box whilst drifting etc, these can be modded so they are the same as the S14a etc also an S13 box is loads cheaper, so I am going with that. I'll let you know what it's like, I have heard alot of people stay away from the quick shifts as they knacker the boxes.
I'm trying with the standard shifter first.

The standard shift will do me........I just want a stronger more reliable box.

Good stuff, let me know what its like and take lots of pics!! I'll need them!

Cheers

@Zed2k

How do they say the quick shifts knacker S13,14 boxes? I'm just curious as I'm considering fitting one to my Z.

Back