Replacement badges / emblems

Paul_S

Club Member
My '71 240Z is missing the bonnet and wing badges so I've been on the look out for some (a bit premature because it's not on the road yet!) Anyway, I just saw these on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

What are your opinions? "not cheap" is an obvious answer but my first question is can they really be correct for the 240Z, 260Z & 280Z? Did the badges change over the years? More importantly for me, would they be correct for my 240Z?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Silly money - maybe, just maybe if your car'll remain stock, pristine, read concours it might be worth it....

Paul_S

Club Member
Silly money - maybe, just maybe if your car'll remain stock, pristine, read concours it might be worth it....

Mine won't ever be concours! But I would like to replace the missing badges (with ones which aren't too untidy).

I was just looking at the price of some replacement badges from the USA and when you add them all up they make these look cheap!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
How are they metal when they have self-adhesive tape at the rear ? Most self-sticking (and not held by pins) on the market (see USA) are plastic.

toopy

Club Member
Admittedly they do look nice, but why in metal, OE ones are all plastic anyway are they not?

I would of thought those that are stuck on are more likely to go astray while on the move as well, because of the extra weight perhaps!

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
im gona have to dig out my spares and get them on ebay:eek:
i have a card board box somewhere full of badges and trim bits!!!
thats crazy money

SacCyclone

Club Member
If you look at the re-pop plastic emblems from US venders like MSA, these are not a bad price at all for metal emblems.
I have purchased many emblems from MSA and they are nice quality and have the correct pins for mounting.
If your re-painting and welding all the mount holes then these would work out nicely. If you have a car with the mounting holes you might as well get the plastic emblems with pins.

The very early series 1 cars have metal emblems with pins, I have a set and they bring big money today if you can find a set.

Mr.F

Inactive
"Datsun" emblem for front wings, bonnet emblem and rear quarter vent emblems all still available to order in UK at reasonable (not cheap) prices. Rear tailgate (our spoiler) emblems available via USA order.
All emblems except quarter vents are now plastic, although I believe some early originals were metal...

The wing emblems became "260Z" script ("280Z" on later US cars obviously).
Tailgate / spoiler emblems reduced to "Datsun" script only on later cars and are subtly different to the 240Z "Datsun" script.
Early 240Z uses "240Z" script in non-vented form on rear quarters.
2+2 quarter vent emblems are totally different and, as far as I am aware, unavailable.

Paul_S

Club Member
"Datsun" emblem for front wings, bonnet emblem and rear quarter vent emblems all still available to order in UK at reasonable (not cheap) prices. Rear tailgate (our spoiler) emblems available via USA order.
All emblems except quarter vents are now plastic, although I believe some early originals were metal...

The wing emblems became "260Z" script ("280Z" on later US cars obviously).
Tailgate / spoiler emblems reduced to "Datsun" script only on later cars and are subtly different to the 240Z "Datsun" script.
Early 240Z uses "240Z" script in non-vented form on rear quarters.
2+2 quarter vent emblems are totally different and, as far as I am aware, unavailable.
Thanks for your informative reply :)

When you say the front wing and bonnet emblems are still available to order from the UK do you mean from Nissan or someone like yourself?