Question on Rarity

Herc34es

Club Member
Hello,

I see some posts like the following:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1334027

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31350313...rentrq:1f4a4c581790a69fe18bd73affb74065|iid:1

or I talked to huggy's and they say they bring a rare 260Z.

and one common denominator is that they say: samuri, or rare model etc.

What makes it a rare model, I mean, based on what they say it is rare. This is a curiosity question (I understand that these classics are rare in the classic sense...but what makes it so rare they have to mention it), so please do not be harsh. Trying to learn more here.

uk66fastback

Club Member
In the case of the blue 280, they are rare in the UK simply because they were never imported to this country. The 260z 2+2 is rare because 2+2s just are.

Most people use the word rare in an ad to justify the price!

240/260s were rare when they were new in the UK. Triumph Spitfires cost next to nothing and are 'rare' - although they made millions. But you wouldn't put that they were rare in an ad ... cos we used to see them on every street corner back in the day. I don't remember seeing 100s of Zs back in the day.

Ped

Club Member
The word 'rare' is over used. Most of the time people just mean 'not very common'.

A 1930s Bugatti is rare. They were only built in small numbers.

I suppose you could say 'rare survivor car'.

Mark N

Club Member
USDM 260Z were only sold for a year or so, making them rarer than a USDM 240Z and 280Z.
However, there were still over 50000 (including the 2+2 version) made in that period.
From 2008 until now, Nissan have only sold about 13000 GTRs in the US, making them substantially rarer, yet they seem to appear in every second Youtube video.

Bazzateer

Club Member
First one: US barn finds are not rare in my opinion. Not common, but not rare.
Second one: looks like any other US import, again not exactly rare. Certainly not a Samuri, and who's donna?

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Basically as the others said, the 260Z is comparatively rarer in/from the US but not necessarily desirable because of it.

'Samuri' references the UK 70s operation that modified and raced Zeds: http://www.samuri.eu/index.htm many sellers add this just to keyword spam when the car has nothing in connection.

There were two limited editions for the US 280z you might come across but they're mainly cosmetic:

Zzzap

unnamed.jpg

Black pearl

71-0840_Datsun280Z-NissanFairladyZ-S30-BlackPearl.jpg

Anything genuinely rare (432s, the 350 mile 280z barn-find etc) for sale now is beyond the financial means of most people.

Last edited:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The rarest Datsuns are completely standard cars that have original paint and no rust.........

All models are rare compared to their contemporaries.

toopy

Club Member
And especially with 2+2's don't assume 'rare' means desirable or more valuable either, because they are most definitely not.... unfortunately!

Herc34es

Club Member
Thank you all for the info!

Indeed not big fun of the 2+2 ... too long for me, and unnecessary space at the back :D

AD240Z

Club Member
Hello,

What makes it a rare model, I mean, based on what they say it is rare. This is a curiosity question (I understand that these classics are rare in the classic sense...but what makes it so rare they have to mention it), so please do not be harsh. Trying to learn more here.

The sellers desire to cash in and make more money in a lot of instances .