Prettiest car ever? Koenigsegg Volvo P1800

Russ

Club Member
Now on my list of must have before I'm too old to drive...

Koenigsegg engineer building modern-day Volvo P1800

It'll probably never be made, but it's so pretty! Me and my mate are now trying to learn as much as we can about P1800s to see which variant is closest and how much work it'd take to make one look mostly like this

vox_volvo_p1800_2.jpg

vox_volvo_p1800_3.jpg
vox_volvo_p1800_6.jpg
vox_volvo_p1800_5.jpg
vox_volvo_p1800_4.jpg
vox_volvo_p1800_7.jpg
vox_volvo_p1800_1.jpg

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Doesn't look far off of a db5 with big wheels. From the original p1800 they've tapered the rear end down (like a jag / daimler sovereign). B-Pillar has gone (dunno how you'd manage that as there doesn't appear to be too much stability for the roof). It's nice for sure.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Beg to differ please.......looks like a Lamborghini 350GT or 400GT with perhaps the front end of either a Ferrari 250GT SWB or Maserati 3500GT ! In either case, a strong Italian influence.

Nothing appears to be new - all of this was done back nearly 50 years ago. It is disappointing (however good the copies/replicas are or not) that nobody seems able to make a pretty car today.......without resorting to past designs.

Now prove me wrong and show me some current cars that ARE pretty (and just to make it difficult - not just £500,000 cars) !

Russ

Club Member
You don't think it's pretty? Reminds me of a Ferrari but a bit more tame/less in your face.

I agree Sean, there are no pretty modern cars, apart from the odd Alfa Romeo I think. Also it's not pretty, and wasn't styled with a pen and a flowing arm, but I love the look of the new VW Scirocco.

I'd love a DB5 or old Ferrari, but I probably will never afford one, however a P1800 would be a different matter (bottom of the list below the Zs and Charger of course)...

Russ

Club Member
I take it back about the Scirroco, just looks too I-Robot try hard to be from the future iPod bland shite...

vw-scirocco-2009.jpg

...in a nice way of course ... then Alfas

17.jpg

changed my mind on that as well, it's just a rehash of a million other pretty cars... I've no idea of any modern pretty cars...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Read carefully - I didn't say it wasn't pretty ! But it wouldn't be cheap either (over £50,000, a bit like a BMW Z8) so forget it !

I'd add to your (very) short list perhaps a TVR or two.

But Russ, this all shows that you're more in need of a drive in a good S30 Z than a good blow-job so get it sorted mate ! A 240Z has enough detail to be interesting but still a pure enough line to be gorgeous.

Rahail, are you sassing me babe ? Your choice looks grumpy from the front ! Someone else suffering from withdrawal symptoms.......

AD240Z

Club Member
Not wanting to get too involved but you did say 'I beg to differ' , which appeared to be in response to the initial post stating 'but its so pretty'.
I would also expect a car designed in the late 50's to look like something done back nearly 50 years ago.

i understood it it not to be a new concept as the charger /camaro but as what used to be referred to as a 'custom car'?? (am i old fashioned?)

Looks good in the grey to me & I also like the Alfa .

Other 'pretty' modern cars?? point taken - i need a cold beer and a think.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Not wanting to get too involved but you did say 'I beg to differ' , which appeared to be in response to the initial post stating 'but its so pretty'.
I would also expect a car designed in the late 50's to look like something done back nearly 50 years ago.

Alright, I phrased it a bit ambigously - I was replying to the title "Prettiest car ever" !

I also meant that it wouldn't be on my list, pretty yes but nothing extraodinary and certainly not original.

It is, as you say - a custom car - hats off to them but not the prettiest

The Alfa GTOC is how much ? Having now seen on in the flesh, I find it 'stunted' and therefore I'm disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
I agree that 'prettiness' has long since left cars. They tend to be more angry looking now (from 240 to 370 is a perfect case and point). The s30 (even when it's stripped down without wheels and paint) looks fuggin gorgeous. The lines are awesome. I do love that 8C though, always have.

Dale

Club Member
It's amazing what computers can do these days. It'll not be long before you can't tell what's real and what's not.

Mind, like Jak said, they couldn't really produce it as it is in the pictures. You roll that thing, you be squished!

No pretty modern cars eh? Well, there's........er.........erm..........yep, you're right, there's none. :D

AD240Z

Club Member
Would agree with the angry thing - my mate got a TVR sagaris last year- not as stunted as the Alfa but definately angry - sounds good tho

tvr-sagaris-side-1_87.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
TVR engine notes are awesome. If the door handle didn't come off in your hand or indeed the door, or the wings whilst you were moving etc, they'd be brilliant. They look like HR Giger (or Satan) designed them!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I do love that 8C though, always have.
Bit of a rip-off though, considering the price of the donor car.

Angry reflects the mood people want to portay on the road.

Beautiful cars were Delahayes - we went downhill in lots of styling and beauty ways since the '30s - clothes as well - women looked so gorgeous back then.......there's nothing left for the imagination now because generally, people have none and need stimulation in their faces !

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
But Russ, this all shows that you're more in need of a drive in a good S30 Z than a good blow-job so get it sorted mate ! .....

Russ,

I'm unsure of the offer made here "mate", but if I were you i'd be very careful in your response!!!!!!!

The Volvo.....looks cool...:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No - a cheap shot ! But 'offer' ? Are you pimping again ? And Russ'd never travel this far for a ride.........not with all those genuine UK restored Zs over there.

But 'Malboro' man with his gold wheels is the right judge - those pursed lips, incredible lung capacity kept in trim by the constant sucking and 'ever-so-slightly' mocking eyes "is that all you've got for me" ?

Back to the thread - Pug 406 coupé ?

Russ

Club Member
I like the 406 Coupé but it's not special enough I don't think, in that era where nothing was too exciting from cars they were just kinda good.

Will keep thinking...

boomer

Well-Known Forum User
The Merco CLS is beautiful, in my eyes. It's form and function, it's like nothing before and had set a new era in it's own class.

AD240Z

Club Member
Quite liked the Maserati GT S,
0802_01c2009_maserati_granTurismo_S.jpg

but having looked again - all seems a bit DB9 (not that thats a bad thing mind) or XKR or ........ etc.