New to the club and...oil and breathing,,,!

farstar

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all

I’ve only just joined the club so want to say hello to you all to start with! It’s fantastic to see such enthusiasm for these machines and the sheer quality of cars!!!!!! :bow:

I’ve only fallen onto the Z scene quite recently. I bought a 260z 2+2 and loved it to bits! Had to sell it pretty quickly as it was a bad pear but replaced it with (a former club owners?) 260z 2+2, 280z engine, gearbox, prop., etc.

My observations of owning Z cars thus far…a ridiculous amount of fun to drive! I try to drive economically but never manage it; it’s almost as if the car urges you to rev higher and drive faster! I’ve been forced to learn more about engine mechanics and general maintenance for a start but it never ceases to amaze me how solid and forgiving these things are. Also, the irony of owning a Datsun is not lost on me! Asian people were constantly stereotyped because they all loved Datsuns! Whenever I hear somebody say, ‘wow! Great car! What is it??’ I reply as nonchalantly as possible that it is a ‘Datsun’. It even beats my favourite piece of clothing, an ultra cool ‘I love curry’ t-shirt.

Also, children constantly shout, ‘wow! Sick car!’ Maybe they find the shade of yellow particularly offensive to the point that they liken my car to vomit? Could it be that my car actually sounds ill? I really do not know but enlightenment from more experienced Z owners would be welcome…

I am now in the process of buying an unfinished :eek: 260z 2 seater and some advice would be greatly appreciated. The owner has spent near enough a decade rebuilding the car and has lost the heart and the time to finish what is a 90% completed project. Although not a mechanic but an engineer by trade, he rebuilt the dreaded flat tops and also the engine changing the shells and stem seals only due to the ultra low mileage. The engine was reassembled as per Haynes and the first oil he used was a high quality fully synthetic. Is this acceptable? It’s difficult to get the engine idling and the rebuild was a number of years ago. The car has not been driven at all and the oil not changed since that rebuild – the car is started every now and then according to the previous owner. What do you guys advise???

Flat top carbs! To be honest, they were ok on my first Z (less than a year ago and on number 3…this is worse than I thought Doctor…), but the bigger, later flat tops also look impossible. I was thinking about a set of Z Therapy SU’s as I know that critical 240z SU components like jets cannot be bought in the UK and the thought of scavenging around to find a decent set of worn carbs is not appealing after my experiences with my current Z. What do you guys advise with respect to breathing that will not break the bank and provide decent performance? I actually have a spare set of 240z SU’s that are left over but am reluctant to use them.

As you have all prob realised, I am not a mechanic so any help that you give me will be ingested gratefully to put very mildly! :D

Faiz

Hi Faiz
Not a reply to the above but welcome to the Club and thanks for deciding to join by using paypal:bow:
Could I ask you to go to your user cp and add your postcode to your details ( this can only be viewed by the committee and admins for security reasons and is not on view anywhere in the public domain)

Nidge will shortly be sending you your membership stuff and when you receive your membership number could you again add it to your profile in your user cp

Again welcome to the club and maybe we will meet you at the big Z meet at Mansfield on the 12/13/14th September

Welcome to the club and what a great first 'thread'. Yes when I mention I have a Datsun to people they immediately think of an aweful saloon model.

A 90% finished project could be a good way to save money as long as the body structure has been restored (and well).

As far as carbs are concerned I think you would be best using your 240 carbs or looking for a 'known' pair. Try a wanted ad in our classifieds.

Welcome

Hi Fiaz.
Welcome to the Z Club! I too am asian,& proud to have owned Datsuns for many,many years. Funny enough,I used to live in Walsall many years ago.
My personal opinion is: The 240Z Su's are simplicity personified.
If you can afford tripple webers,injection,2'' su's & the many modern induction kits than fair enough. The 240z su's are great for long term.
Regards DJZ 60.:thumbs:

The easy option is go for the 240z carbs, easy to look after. The flat top carbs are a pain and need more attention and knowledge than owners have. I personally love the flat top carbs and been gaining knowledge and parts on them. But unless you want a totally standard 260z, best walk away from these carbs.

Any pictures of said 90% finished project....?

Ian

i would change the oil in your car
i use millers oil in my car from MJP EASTERN he is on this site as a trader,

'wow! Sick car!' means you have a very nice car !!!!!

Great first post and welcome to the club! There is a wealth of peeps on here with vast knowledge of everything Z. Keep us posted and get some pics up when you get a chance!

240Z carbs - yep ! More power wanted - go for Jag or lesser known Rover 2" SUs which still keeps the standard look and simplicity and keeps the cost down !

WTF's wrong with yellow ? BTW, I love telling people I have a Datsun or better still them asking what is it when it's sitting in front of them with 'DATSUN' written along each wing !

Welcome ! Not many 260Zs around so cherish !

Hi Faz,

Glad to hear the VPN 2+2 is still going.

Ex member, no, I am still current, just snowed under with work, house etc, prob the same story for you eh?

Got the black beast back on the road now so feel free to give me a call & we can meet up. Apologies for the 240 carbs, they worked for me (on gas) but were the best I could find at the time! Glad to see you joined the club. Don't forget if you ever come to sell VPN to give me first dibs!

Cheers

Paul

DUDE! Good to hear from you! Last time I heard from you, it was plaster dust and the roof about to cave in...all sorted or is it still Bongo the builder?

Are you pulling those crazy ass 1/4 miles with the black beast yet???

Beryl, the yellow and purple peril, also referred to as Marge by a few, is not for sale unfortunately. I know that once the project is nearing completion, I will not be able to justify having two toys...but I am dreading that day...at the mo, I can get away with it since I do not have access to my works vehicle when not at work for more than the weekend.

Would be good to hook up when the house is sorted mate.

i would change the oil in your car
i use millers oil in my car from MJP EASTERN he is on this site as a trader,

'wow! Sick car!' means you have a very nice car !!!!!

The previous owner of said project did the engine rebuild as per Haynes changing only the stem seals and shells. The first lot of oil that he put in was/is fully synthetic and this is the same oil after a few years as he has been unable to get the car running adequately.

I know that I need to get the car running or at least idling and then do a oil change but what should I put in? Should I stick to a fully synthetic? What grade should I use?

I always thought the thick gloopy mineral oils are specific to engines of this era...?
:conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2::conf2:

The Millers Classic Sport mentioned earlier in the thread is a 20W-50 with that old school viscosity, but with modern oil technology built in. It is a semi-synthetic and ideal for the older L-series engines. Personally I would not use a modern "skinny" full synthetic in an L-series engine unless I knew it had been built to finer tolerances than stock.

Hi Faz,

It is still plaster dust et al at the moment. Leaky roof is now sorted, kitchen & downstairs pretty much done & loft conversion started. I will try and make the next round of the drag challenge (31st August) if you wanted to meet up at santa pod. I will certainly need to pack earplugs for that! You should give it a go in beryl / marge and see if you can better my times (wouldn't be hard, especially if you had that top end overhaul you were talking about). The proxies should have bedded in nicely by now too, I could probabally even coax the gas system into life if it is still installed!

Cheers

Paul

Mike, cheers for the info!

As I had no input or visibility of the rebuild, I have bo idea of the tolerances and accuracy of workmanship so Millers 20 50 it is.

Thanks

Faiz

Back